Black People : SMDH:ALLURE TEACHES WHITE WOMEN HOW TO "GET" AN AFRO

Black Phoenix

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 30, 2015
God, they're sickening....I knew they were coming for the 'fro after the lips and butt.

ALLURE TEACHES WHITE WOMEN HOW TO "GET" AN AFRO
BY: DEVRI VELAZQUEZ 8.9.15

NEXT ARTICLE: What I Have Accepted About My Coily Type 4 Hair »

PHOTO COURTESY OF MASHABLE

If you opened Allure's August 2015 issue you may have noticed an article titled "You (Yes, You) Can Have An Afro...even if you have straight hair." Even if you didn't, the spread has since made its internet rounds, possibly at an accelerated pace in the wake of the Rachel Dolezal controversy. The step by step tutorial details how to get the style that is being "adopted by a new generation of tastemakers" on white actress and model, Marissa Neitling. The article makes no mention of the cultural symbolism or history of the Afro--rather, points to the hairstyle as a hip, trendy accessory to what's in right now.

Chris McMillan, the hairstylist who styled the model's hair, told Huffington Post that his take on the Afro (on a white woman) was inspired by none other than Barbara Streisand in A Star Is Born. He came to his own defense, stating "I learned how to do hair from the African American girls in beauty school...I do black hair." And yet, the significance of culturally appropriating this traditionally African American hairstyle was lost on McMillan, the editorial staff, and the model, who posted this photo onher Instagram after the issue became available to the public:

Read more: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...tm_source=plus.google.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery

Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery

Imitation is one thing, appropriation, obfuscation and abnegation of the origin is another. White people in general love to act like they were integral to whatever style, artistic endeavor , slang, etc. that they adopt...they just can't let others be great.

Imitation is one thing, appropriation, obfuscation and abnegation of the origin is another. White people in general love to act like they were integral to whatever style, artistic endeavor , slang, etc. that they adopt...they just can't let others be great.

Nothing they do looks like ours.

images

Peace!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back