Sleeping Problems

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by MrBlak, Sep 9, 2004.

1. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    Anyone know how to deal with serious sleep problems (insomnia)??

I just wanted to know what tips you have heard to stop it. I have heard and read about many....but they only ever help a bit. I have been an insomniac since about 11 years old so I am used to it, but it still gets in the way of things and when I get a full time job, it is gonna kill me. As a student, I can work my own hours including late at night when I concentrate best, but that will end soon.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I fully sympathize MrBlak because I've also had insomnia since I was about 11 (as the time of this post can verify)! Also having the full time job (and a part time job), wife, kids, and school....I can verify you concerns that not being able to sleep will kill you. Unfortunately I can't offer any tips to help...but I hope someone has a solution to help us both! :boring:

3. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Don't know much about isomnia but here is link with some suggestions until someone more experienced comes along!

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

If you look to the right of this link it also hs some information about herbal remedies.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    thankz purple coz i too have it bad and need to get out it coz it will
    break you down after so long i'm looking into it now but it never really
    gave me or pose'd a problem but it can one day i have no answers for this
    of yet but if anyone do let me know as well , and i use to think i was just a
    night owl .

5. MrBlak

Ratings:
    +9
    So there are others out here huh??!!

Thanks purple.....hopefull we can get some good stuff off that site!!

MrBlak

6. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I get insomnia alot...usually when I have a lot on my mind...or have a huge project that I have to get done.

7. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    so you think that could be some of the problem when we have something pressing
    the mind or a worry of a project , job or other related things ????
    i just like to know more and why ? yes it's a lot of us that are insomnia.

8. MrBlak

Ratings:
    +9
    Rich:

I always have it (it is chronic)....BUT...it gets really bad when an issue is weighing on my mind or I have stress like a big project to handle. That is a huge factor from my standpoint. I may normally take over an hour to fall alseep...but let an issue get under my skin, I may see the sun come up.....it aint pretty.

9. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Mr.Blk...........
    so true i've had many of those nights where the sun meet me even hear birds calling
    guess i have a bad sleeping disorder , I don't like to take pills for that so i tryed
    many other ways to just go to bed but sometime i find myself back at this screen
    writting i have learn to take a nap now days for an hour or so but many restless
    nights i still have bad maybe i want something that i can't never get !

10. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Have you guys tried pampering yourself? I mean, after work plan a quiet evening for yourself. You get a glass of wine, scented candles, some type of bath beads to put in a tub of water, and a small radio you can take in the bathroom. You pop in cd with some soothing music.

Make sure you have eaten and your food has settled before you take your bath. I know a lot of men don't like the bath they prefer the shower. But the bath slows down the busy mind. Make sure you have something slow paced to do once you get out of the bath. Like meditating or getting all cozy with a good slow reading book.

Make sure you have some lotion to massage and moisten your skin once you get out of the bath. Most important of all is you take time. Don't rush the process. Your goal is to slowdown your brain waves so that you are not thinking of three or four things at a time. you can also treat yourself to some nice herbal tea when you get out of the bath.

Take some time out for yourself. Treat yourself to a day of peace and comfort.

With everybody appearing to be in a rush, its no wonder that you cant get to sleep at night. Just slowdown your pace when at home. Treat yourself good!
    You deserve it!!!!

These are just somethings that work for me. You should try it! It might be just what the spirit needs!