Black People : Slavery Museum

CarrieMonet

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 26, 2003
Seattle
Occupation
Love my job!
Cosby announced Friday he would donate proceeds from 10 concerts to the museum effort, or between $1 million and $1.5 million, museum officials estimate. Cosby sits on the museum's board.

"We need history," Cosby told an audience in Fredericksburg, where the museum is planned to open in 2007. "We need proof for our children ... to see the strength of their ancestors."

The museum plans fund-raising activities in conjunction with each concert and hopes to raise $20 million, said Ed Wegel, chairman of the museum's capital campaign committee.

Former Gov. Douglas Wilder, the nation's first black elected governor, has estimated the museum project will cost $200 million.

Construction on the five-story, 250,000-square-foot building is scheduled to begin later this year.

USA TODAY ARTICLE

CarrieMonet said:
Cosby announced Friday he would donate proceeds from 10 concerts to the museum effort, or between $1 million and $1.5 million, museum officials estimate. Cosby sits on the museum's board.

"We need history," Cosby told an audience in Fredericksburg, where the museum is planned to open in 2007. "We need proof for our children ... to see the strength of their ancestors."

The museum plans fund-raising activities in conjunction with each concert and hopes to raise $20 million, said Ed Wegel, chairman of the museum's capital campaign committee.

Former Gov. Douglas Wilder, the nation's first black elected governor, has estimated the museum project will cost $200 million.

Construction on the five-story, 250,000-square-foot building is scheduled to begin later this year.

USA TODAY ARTICLE

Nah, Bill, if you think we gone let you donate all that money after you said all dem bad thangs 'bout us po' foks - uhuh, we aint havin' it :censored:

You think he's doing this for the publicity, Carrie??? :darts: Hmmmm....

Peace!
Isaiah

Isaiah said:
Nah, Bill, if you think we gone let you donate all that money after you said all dem bad thangs 'bout us po' foks - uhuh, we aint havin' it :censored:

You think he's doing this for the publicity, Carrie??? :darts: Hmmmm....

Peace!
Isaiah

WHAT BILL COSBY SAID WAS THE TRUTH, FLAT OUT. IT'S ALSO SOMETHING MOST BLACK PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR AWHILE. THE WHITE MEDIA JUST GOT A HOLD OF IT AND EXPLOITED IT LIKE THEY DO EVERYTHING ELSE.

THAT'S MY "BIG" OPINION.

I say, "bump" Bill! What I want to ask that's more relevant to this thread is, what value do museums about American slavery provide? What is their purpose and what impact do they have on people who attend these museums? Do we actually NEED to see actual slave artifacts from a period of time not so long ago? Back in early spring I started a thread about a touring exhibit called "Middle Passage," which consisted of actual artifacts depicting slavery and the slave trade industry in America. At the time, I thought it was a wonderful idea and encouraged people to see it if they could. But now, particularly because Bill Cosby is backing it, I wonder whether these types of ventures serve any good purpose at all and do they add any value to our lives as we continue to live through the vestiges of the slave era.

How much REAL history do we need to see that describes what life was like and what we had to endure when we were slaves? Is there shock value in it that will help some sleepers to wake up and smell the same coffee today that was brewing back then?

What do you all think?

Queenie :spinstar:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back