Black People : Slavery! It didn't end there, it actually got worse.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by bigtown, Sep 19, 2005.

1. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Why is it that whenever people (white people and black people) talk about the injustice that black people faced in this country. Thay all seemed to talk slavery, and then skip about a hundred years and talk about civil rights. As if those two times were the only dark times in our history here in this country. I had a conversation once with a co-worker and I made the statement that after slavery, more black people were lynched because slavery in an ironic way shielded black people from many random attacks. He blew up because he thought that I was defending slavery, he didn't have a clue as to what I was saying. of course I was talking only about physical violence, he wasn't hearing it. After slavery black people expected to be free citizens, but instead of being property of individual devils they became property of all the devils in this country.

2. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    BigTown

I understand where you're coming from. You're saying that things for Black people got a lot worse AFTER slavery via random attacks on Black people by White people at the end of slavery.

However, the way you're expressing this view sorta makes it seem as if you're saying that slavery was better than freedom right after the "end of slavery."

I wouldn't take that the wrong way. It's just the way the thought was presented.

3. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, during slavery most whites would not kill their 'property' unless the person was 'dangerous.' Slaves still had to suffer beatings and rapes though, so it's not like they were totally protected from violence. I think the only difference between the violence before and after slavery is that after they were more likely to get murdered while before they were more likely to get tortured, because the master would use that slave as an example to other slaves what would happen if they got out of line.

However, I understand where you are coming from... remember there are many people still living in today's time that grew up in the Jim Crow era. My grandma (76) remembers when black men getting lynched was a common occurrence. And my mom lived during the 'tail-end' of segregation. Blacks did not truly get their 'freedom' until the 70s.

4. mommyloczz

mommyloczz New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank You!
    It's a blessing that someone has brought this topic up! It's a shame that we, our people don't realize that just because we were taken out of the physical chains in 1864, that meant that slavery ended? Oh no slavery existed for us for a very very long time and in some instances slavery still exist for us, and what is worst is that we keep ourselves enslaved through ignorance.
    Thanks again