Niger : slavery in Niger

indya

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 4, 2004
I came across this article about slavery in Niger when I was reading about the drought that is going on in that area. This is revolting to read, they are going through the same things today that our ancesters lived through and no one seems to know anything about it and apparently the leaders of the country are pushing it under the rug.

A Nigerian study has found that almost 8% of the population are slaves

When we spoke to her masters they denied owning slaves. The practice of slavery was outlawed in Niger last year.

Trading in slaves has been banned in Niger since the days of the French colonists in the last century, but ownership of slaves was never specifically banned

Slave children are taken away from their parents before they are two-years-old, to break the bonds between parent and child and to eliminate any sense of identity.

The children grow up working in the house of the master.

Assibit was born into slavery, as was her mother and her husband

The slave owners encourage the slaves to reproduce to increase their numbers, sometimes even determining when they have sexual intercourse.

They treat the slaves like their cattle.
Slaves are often beaten for small misdemeanours.
They work long hours and are sometimes deprived of food as punishment.

indya said:
I came across this article about slavery in Niger when I was reading about the drought that is going on in that area. This is revolting to read, they are going through the same things today that our ancesters lived through and no one seems to know anything about it and apparently the leaders of the country are pushing it under the rug.

A Nigerian study has found that almost 8% of the population are slaves

When we spoke to her masters they denied owning slaves. The practice of slavery was outlawed in Niger last year.

Trading in slaves has been banned in Niger since the days of the French colonists in the last century, but ownership of slaves was never specifically banned

Slave children are taken away from their parents before they are two-years-old, to break the bonds between parent and child and to eliminate any sense of identity.

The children grow up working in the house of the master.

Assibit was born into slavery, as was her mother and her husband

The slave owners encourage the slaves to reproduce to increase their numbers, sometimes even determining when they have sexual intercourse.

They treat the slaves like their cattle.
Slaves are often beaten for small misdemeanours.
They work long hours and are sometimes deprived of food as punishment.

This is outrageous.

Does the article identify the slave masters?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back