Black People : Slavery Era Business / Profit Disclosures

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I see this, CONSUMERS: SLAVERY ERA INSURANCE REGISTRY REPORT, that appears to be requiring all insurance companies in California, to disclose if they had any "slave dealings / profits."

Why aren't all companies required to do this, in the entire country?

Shouldn't we wanna know this? Is there a full list of these companies somewhere?

I found the above from this site: Do Not Use Aetna Insurance Company

Whatcha think? Have more information to share on this topic?

I think i've started a thread on this before, let me search.

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    The number of corporations that benefited from slavery and that could be sued may reach more than a hundred, according to Deadria Farmer-Paellmann, a lawyer who is a plaintiff and who almost single-handedly has uncovered the information linking corporations to slavery. "These companies have become multibillion-dollar interests in large part due to the practice of stealing people and stealing their labor," she said. "Justice requires that they atone for these wrongs by paying restitution." (Prior to her recent research, the reparations movement was focused almost solely on restitution by the government.) Additional corporations could include utility companies that used slaves to lay gas lines beneath Southern cities like New Orleans and mining companies that forced slaves to dig for coal, according to USA Today reporter James Cox, who has researched the subject extensively. Media companies like Gannett, Knight Ridder and the Tribune Company have been linked to slavery because their predecessors published ads for runaway slaves. Nor are universities exempt. Advocates are discussing whether schools including Harvard, Brown, Yale and the University of Virginia should be sued because many of their original benefactors were allegedly wealthy slaveowners.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20030310/friedman

Destee

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    costs of the slave trade

The costs of the slave trade

1850 - The Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, part of CSX today, paid slave owners $30 to $150 apiece to rent slaves for a year.
    Price in 1850: $150
    In today's dollars: $3,379

- The Mobile & Girard, now part of Norfolk Southern, offered slaveholders $180 apiece for slaves they would rent to the railroad for one year.
    1856: $180
    Today: $3,737

1859 - The Central of Georgia, a Norfolk Southern line today, valued its slaves at $31,303.
    1859: $31,303
    Today: $663,033

1865 - The Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad, today part of CSX, placed a value of $128,773 on the slaves it lost as a result of emancipation at the conclusion of the Civil War.
    1865: $128,773
    Today: $1.4 million

1865 - The Mobile & Ohio, now part of Canadian National, valued slaves lost to the war and emancipation at $199,691.
    1865: $199,691
    Today: $2.2 million

Corporations Challenged By Reparation Activists

Destee