Black People : SLAVERY AND RACISM

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by ibrahim, Sep 17, 2005.

1. ibrahim

ibrahim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122
    Slavery still exists in Africa. Almost 5,000 children are sold by their parents to go and work in cocoa plantations in Ghana, Nigeria and other surrounding countries in West Africa. These children are denied their fundamental human rights especially the right to Education which is very essential in a developing country like Ghana. These children are also treated as social misfits. This is indeed socio-political injustice.
    Another instance is in Tanzania where little kids are lowered in carelessly dug mines to dig out diamonds with their bare hands. Hundreds of them were reportedly drown when there was a flood. The New York Times describes it as the NEW AFRICAN SLAVE MARKET.

All this is as a result of incompetent governments who care for nothing except for their pockets and selling of the natural resources which the citizens depend on for their livelihood to foreign business men ( European , Americans), and also to the western countries who promised them “interest free loans” and in the end, these men siphon the profits made to their respective countries, creating employment for them whilst the rightful owners languish in pain, poverty and high rates of unemployment. These monies are sometimes returned as loan to most African countries.

Slavery existed hundreds of years ago. During the slave trade era, Africans had to sell themselves with great pain and the Europeans (WHITE DEVILS) had to buy them with eternal shame. Slaves in those days were both “prisoners of war” captured during inter-tribal warfares and later sold to Europeans or were forcefull captured, chained, packed in ships and sent to the Americas and those who survived the horrific journey were later sold as chattel. Slave trade was practised because there called the need for African labour in the Americas.

People began to question the practice of slavery and called for its justification. Some said Racism was a justification, others disagreed. I would like to quote from Barbara J. fields who is a professor at Columbia University who gave a presentation at the “school” “for the producers of RACE” (Am not sure what that is). She said, “I don’t say that racial ideology developed as a justification for slavery because I think that is not right”. I totally disagree with her because if racism as she said wasn’t a justification, then what justified it?
    Why would a black man who bleeds the same colour as a white man does be beaten, chained and the black woman raped (some of the slaves were thrown at sea.). I quote from Barbara again. “Freedom did not become possible for Americans of European descent until they had established slavery for Americans of African decent, had defined Afro Americans as a race and had identified their innate inferiority as a justification or at least a rationale for enslavement.” The quote speaks for itself.

The debate on inferiority complexion will forever go on. Slaves when they finally get to the Americas where given a new identity, their names changes, forced to live a new way of life denied the right to speak their language and learn their history. This though is indeed unbearable.

Many comments have been made regarding Blacks as been inferior. (http://www.sprnch.com/forums/index....iew.php?pg=home) But I urge all black to ignore this and come together and fight for a cause that will unite us all.

I end here with a saying from Dr. Henrik Clarke to all blacks.
    “AFRICA IS OUR CENTER OF GRAVITY, OUR CULTURAL AND SPIRITUAL MOTHER AND FATHER, OUR BEATING HEART, NO MATTER WHERE WE LIVE ON THE FACE OF THIS EARTH.

first picture shows a chained slave.
    second shows how they were packed into ships for the journey
    Third show slaves been auctioned in virginia 1841

2. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Welcome Home

Hey Brutha Ibrahim,

Welcome to Destee and make yourself at HOME
    because you are and thank you for caring enough