Black People : Skin Bleaching A Growing Concern In Jamaica

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by ManicRaider, Apr 13, 2011.

1. ManicRaider

ManicRaider Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +166
    I wasn't able to post the link because I don't have a big enough post count. But basically I got this one from the Huffington Post.

You know, stuff like this makes me actually not care much anymore. I'm seriously thinking about just giving up. I used to think that the Jamaicans had pride but obviously I was very wrong.

2. emanuel goodman

emanuel goodman Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker
    Ratings:
    +759
    makes me sad as well .... but we cannot underscore the amount of psychological damage that is going here. These feeling about themselves are not on accident it is the product of a massive warfare against people with pigmentation. It occurs in every culture across this planet.

3. Energy

Energy Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +47
    Why do we suffer from psychological damage when others are immune from it? Is it because we as black people lack an awareness of self which brings with it a sense of low self-esteem?

Feeling sad would not make the problem go away bro. What is needed is educating ourselves of our true identity which helps to lift our self-esteem. When we do that we would be immune from the psychological damage.

4. emanuel goodman

emanuel goodman Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker
    Ratings:
    +759
    True indeed sir! however this is a global epidemic as i stated earlier the darker hues in each culture have been experiencing this epidemic. Take a look.......

5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

Is that why i saw so many 'white' people on my last visit?

6. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    i'm not surprised.

Iight skinned in The Caribbean is usually synonymous with being upper class. Compared to the US, colorism in Jamaica is 100 times worse..i guess they are just doing what they feel they need to do to be accepted in society, and even to get good jobs.

7. ManicRaider

ManicRaider Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +166
    So there are more whites in Jamaica than blacks? Excuse my ignorance of other countries.

8. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Colorism is an offshoot of racism; it does not usually involve whites directly. It is a phenomenon that occurs between members of the same (supposed) racial group. If, for example, you may encounter it, you are likely to witness a society where mixed and or light-skinned individuals are given preferred treatment over Black/dark-skinned people.

9. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Sadly, this is nothing new....throughout the Diaspora, too many women of African descent have been using natural or manufactured products to "lighten/whiten" their skin.

...Jamaica, the U.S., Africa, South America...and in almost every locale this has been done or is still being done.

...In many places, the practice has lessened but not in others.....and many Black women do it on the "low-low." (like folks aint gone see their color changed.) :cool:

Trying to fight blemishes or scars is one thing but for a Black woman to bleach her skin to get closer to White....to be more acceptable to Whites....trying to accomplish the only way she can see herself as beautiful.....that's self-hate.

And Black men throughout the Diaspora can also contribute to this when they view "beauty" as being lighter as well....cuz then, the Black women are trying to please/catch/keep a man by bleaching her skin.

....the sad conditioning our people have suffered ever since the European came among us.

10. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    At-least in America you can still get a job if you are dark skinned person, whereas in the certain parts of Caribbean, because most of their income is dependent on the tourist industry... a lot of those hotels(and banks) will not hire anyone who looks too african or dark skinned. I've seen this phenomenon with my own eyes...