Skim cow milk vs. Soy milk

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by African_Prince, May 7, 2007.

1. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    Which is healthier?

edit: Please, no vegan bias. I just want to know which one is healthier, that's all.

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    well soy is said to convert to estrogen in the body which may be why we see so many effeminate boys because they put soy in the baby formula. Both can cause gas and other discomfiture in the digestive track. You might want to opt for rice milk as an alternative rather than choosing between those two.

3. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
  4. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    I've heard that soy has been linked to breast cancer, fertility problems etc. because of the estrogen that it produces. Even things that are supposed to be healthy may be bad for you :censored:

5. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I don't know which is better but my personal experience is we were using soy for about a year before we switched to rice milk for about 8 months after hearing here about the dangers of soy.

For some reason my wife bought skim milk again a couple weeks ago and the whole family got tore up stomachs.

We had to throw it out.

There have been times we've gone a week with soy instead of rice milk without any problems.

On a side note - I'm pretty close to going vegan so I've looked more into the whole soy issue; i think the supposed dangers of soy are over-hyped.

Another take on soy.

6. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    I would hope so but I don't want to take any chances. I don't understand how a vegetable could be so dangerous.

7. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Peace fam.

Peace to you African Prince.

On the topic of your original post, I will say that soy is the lesser of two evils.

I am not this "vegan", just a Brother Living Naturally, but expect no bias (and please, Bro. AP, no debate please, I saw the long beast of a thread you and Kwabena and them had going on. Nice, but very long) ;)

Cows milk is not nutritionally justifiable; see: casein etc. It is very mucuous forming, which is terrible for your system.

Soy is better than cows milk, but of all the pulses it is the one most like to meat (which explains why we have so many soy meat-substitutes, eh?). I disregard the rumours on soy and estrogen etc, for it does not even compare to what is in all the chemicalized candies, meats and so on. However, soy-milk is also mucous forming and, if I remember correctly, quite acidic.

But Brothers and Sisters, over-consumption of -any- food (even water, our life-force next to the sun) is bad for us. I know you already know this well.

Go with soy, rice, oat or almond milk over cow milk - for the sake of your health. Of the two, soy is more natural and easier digestible. And you will often find soy milk fortified with b12, which is essential to a healthy nervous system (deficiency in this vitamin can actually lead to "madness" [meaning: nervous system failure, brain defects etc], and you can't really tell when you are going mad, now can you).

On a side note, one is not to mix solids and liquids (as in "breakfast" cereals). The stomach will choose on of the consumed foods over the other and secrete a stronger/weaker bile. If it is too strong for one of the consumed foods, the food will go bad and no nutrition will be taken up by the body. If it is too weak, the food will lie and rot (often the case with meat and vegetables for example) and go bad in your stomach. So be sure to mix your foods wisely. Beweare of starches, meat and legumes before you mix them with something.

But go soy over cow, fam.

Smai Tawi.

~Ikoro

8. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    I've been drinking skim milk but I've decided to switch to soy (even though I'd be willing to drink skim cow milk again, I prefer soy). I'm sure soy in moderation is safe.