Black Women : Sisters, Why Don't You Participate More In The Discussions?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Destee, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Hello Sisters,

We need your opinions down here too.

Sister Queenie is often the only female perspective chiming in.

Why don't you participate more in the discussions taking place?

Is there something we can do to help you feel more welcome and comfortable?

:heart:

Destee

2. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I can only speak for myself. I only respond to topics that I feel strongly about, if the topic doesn't move me...I simply read it and move on.

3. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Thanks for speaking on that...I too also read the threads and they be very, very good and interesting. But from now on I will be both posting and replying to the threads. I really enjoy hearing and sharing idea's with others. As you can see I am a new member...and I plan to be around for awhile...thanks for the invite. :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:

much luv...queentswana

4. Sangofa

Sangofa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    When I first joined this forum I was excited. Things started off good but I felt that I was belittled when I asked a question. I am very picky when I respond to any post. I would really love to get involved in this forum as much as possible. I hardly ever respond to any post because of the fear of someone making feel dumb because of my personal opinions. I will say this I do learn a lot from this forum.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    CarrieMonet ... Thanks for your response and that is fine Sister! I was really just looking for some feedback and i appreciate you sharing with me (us).

Queentswana ... Hey Sister! So glad to have met you in chat! Looking forward to more interaction, conversation, and knowledge shared!

Sangofa ... Hello and Welcome Sister! I don't think i've had the pleasure, prior to now, of responding to one of your posts. I'm sorry to hear that you felt belittled. That's not good and that is not this forum's intention to ever have anyone feel this way. There are 4000+ of us, almost 200,000 posts and with every day it becomes more of a challenge to insure that all feel welcome and valued, but we are up for the challenge because it is most important to us. I'm going to go back and read your previous posts / discussions, so i can see what you might have considered offensive. Please know Sister, that with so many of us here, there are just as many passionate opinions on all the different topics shared here. Some of the discussions get down-right heated, but respect must always be maintained. I'll go so far as to say (prior to reading what you considered offensive) that most every Sister and Brother here really want the best for all of us. They'd find it very difficult to remain otherwise. Sister, if you'll give us another chance, and add a grain or two of salt to all that you read, you'll find that this is a very comfortable place to be. Know too that at the bottom of every post, there is a link that says "Report Post," and you are welcome to do that. This will bring the "alleged violation" to the attention of the Moderators and we'll address it. Disrespecting, demeaning, belittling each other is not allowed here. Sister Hug? ... k ... :grouphug: :)

Thank you all for responding. I don't even post to every thread or topic. Often there are many that i intend on chiming in on, but time does not allow me. So it's okay that you can't always participate in every discussion. We just want you to know that you're oh so very welcome to do so!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Great responses, all of them. Hi there CarrieMonet, you make an excellent point and I've noticed you have asked some great questions in threads you start.

Sister Queen :bowdown: I was in chat last night and noticed you there but we never got the opportunity to meet personally...I'm sure we will eventually. :)

Sangofa . . . Hello there! :wave: It's nice to meet you and we're so glad you're here. What Sister Destee said is so true. Some of these discussions do get heated and one must be prepared to hold their ground when engaged, but we do make a deliberate effort to insure that respect and courtesy are afforded to everyone at all times, even to the tune of us challenging some of our more vocal and opinionated members and sometimes assigning them to electronic "time-out" if they don't uphold the forum rules.

Feel free to speak your minds and anytime you feel you're being abused, don't hesitate to let us know. I do my very best to cruise around the forums along with my co-mods but I don't always see what you and others might see because we're growing in size. But if you bring it to our attention, we'll certainly do our best to bring about peace.

Peace to you all . . . :spinstar:

7. Sapphdia

Sapphdia Active Member MEMBER

Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all! Like someone else said, I only post when something really moves me. I do look around quite a bit and there are a lot of topics that people post that interest me, but sometimes, I still don't get that feeling that I should post. Sometimes, I do worry though, that my post will be ripped to shreads so to speak, just because there are a lot of intelligent people here and sometimes that is what happens. Other times the topics have become so long, I don't anyone really cares to read what the 515th person has to say especially when others have said the same thing.

One of these days, I'll join you in Sister Chat, when I get a mic.

8. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thank you Destee and NN!! I've been enjoying the site.

9. monet1027

monet1027 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    My Dearest Destee and my Beloved Monster (Queenie)

Like many others--I respond to topics I can relate to. I try to throw my 10 cents in regularly but when Sistas start with the..."I need help--my man is locked up for beating me like a lazy, one-legged slave". Or "My dead-beat baby-Daddy got 19 kids but he don't wanna take care of little Tae Quan Do". Or "My best friend is jealous of me--she slept with my Daddy AND my man, slapped my Mama, cursed out my 90 year old Nana, etc", I really don't have the patience for that.
    I'm not downing anyone or their circumstance but I REALLY ain't trying to get involved in the drama-I got more than enough drama of my own!!!!!!!

Sista Sangofa,
    Gurlll, there are people here who try and flex their mental muscle by being condescending or just plain rude. When they try and come at you wrong-show them what you working with!!!!!! :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi:
    If that don't work--cuss they *** out!!!!

If Destee didn't love me and my sailor-mouth she woulda banned me like Bin Laden but sometimes people will test you if they think they'll pass--FAIL THEY ***!!!! Much love.....................

10. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why I haven't posted...

I haven't posted lately because of lobbying for bills in the state legislature. Hopefully soon, I can join all of you in the sister chat.

Some of the sisters, specifically NNQueen, thinks I am a little too hard on my sisters. But that's cool, she is entitled to her opinion.