Black Women : Sister's, What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by PurpleMoons, Mar 17, 2005.

1. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Family, I saw a headline the other day about Men being paid more for the same jobs that women do. I was wondering, what are your thoughts on this? Do you have a problem with men being paid more for the same jobs that you also do? Yes/No and why?

I will share my thoughts on the issue:

Generally, I don't have a problem with men being paid more than me. The reasons I feel this way is because, Although some women are the head of household, technically it is a mans responsibility to provide for his family. Not only do he provide for his family, on the job he is mostly called upon first to do all physical task that may be strenuous on a women. He is the first to put his life on line when defending the life of his family and others. Most men physical endurance succeeds that of a women, making him, able to withstand and produce more when it comes to any physical task. As for jobs that required less physical acttivities, he is still the first to be called upon if any physical tasks needs to be address. Its a man natural attribute to take charge of difficult situations that may weigh much heavier on his female co-habitants.

So when it comes to pay, I am truly grateful of the accomplishment, the battles, the risks that men take for the sake that I won't have to be subjected to such deeds. Although, I do my personal best in the work place, men deserve more for all the battles they have fought for us, and this humbles me when it comes to the differences in our incomes.

What are your thoughts?

2. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19

I don't have a problem with it if the job is physically harder or requires more education than the position I have. But if it's the same type of position then yeah, I think that's unfair.

3. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    We can always count on you sister to provide us with stimulating threads...:read:

After reading your post sister I can only wonder... how much of that article reflected OUR people? Was it referring to our men being paid more than us? I am moved greatly sister by your affirmation of our brothas sacrifices for us and with us. However a part of me is still curious as to whether this has any connection whatsoever to how a white society chooses to "pay" us. I dont deny our brothas struggles and their crosses born upon their shoulders for our sakes...I would never dream of doing so...I am humbled by that acknowledgement daily. However...all that being said...if a brotha and sista are working the same position and one works harder and all results revolve around that, it would not rest well with me to reward the other MORE for doing LESS, whether that be the brotha OR the sista. Although personally I do believe that our Kings are the heads of our households (not to say a Queen cannot run her household sister Queens do it everyday), IMHO that ROLE supercedes income allocation. I also believe that a QUEEN is the heart and in doing so recognizes AND acknowledges the ROLE of a KING in his household giving him all he is due REGARDLESS of income. In the grand scheme of things I would like to think that something like "income difference" wouldnt change the Love & Mutual respect our people have been founded on but yanno...:read: thas just my 2 cents :)

4. PurpleMoons

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Thank you Sister for your Sincere thoughts! I can see where you are comming from. I hadn't considered if one is working harder than the other. I based my thoughts on the circumstances that both was doing their personal best. By no means would I want to be paid lesser than my male co-worker if he wasn't putting in the same, or more quality work as I. You provided me with some things to take in consideration. I'm sure that the article I saw was mainly for the benefit of white society, but as a result, it affects the income of minorites too. Yes, many women maintain head of households and is the sole provider of her family. If she is a dedicated, hard, reliable worker, then she too deserves to have wages that reflect her performance at work. If a man matches her performance and is doing the extra little odds that are not in the job description on top of it, then he too deserve compensations for that. If a married couple is both employed and the women wages is more than that of her husbands, it shouldn't affect the love and respect he/she receives at home. They both are maintaining there home, its just her job position requires that she be paid a said amount. I would hope that it doesn't affect the household either.

I will think some more on what you have presented, as it is very relevant to this topic. I hope more of our Sisters and Brothers share their views as well.

Thanks Sister! :love:

5. gempis

gempis Well-Known Member MEMBER

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    So since you feel OK with women being paid less than men, I assume you think it's fair for a single mother to make less money doing the same work as a man, when she has a child or children to support?

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I know this is a topic for the sisters, and I don't want to overstep my bounds. However while it has been long documented that white men earn more than white women ($.75 on the dollar), I don't think this pattern holds true for black people. I may be wrong on this, but I know a considerable number of black women earning more than black men. This even holds true for college educated black men.

7. PurpleMoons

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Thats they thing Sister. I don't think that it will be exactly the same. I think men will always be required to do all the strenuous things that may come up in the work place, so women won't be subjected to it. If she is responsible for more task, then she should be paid accordingly.

This topic is not only for the Sisters, Brother Pan. I would love to hear a mans point of view also, so please don't hesitate to explore this topic with us.
    Hmmmm! You say some black women earn more than black men? Are they holding the same positions or do these women have extra responsiblities as well? I know women who make more then men but their jobs also requires more responsibilities, with the exception of any physical labor.

8. gempis

gempis Well-Known Member MEMBER

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32

I wonder what kinds of jobs you are referring to when you make this statement? Because unlike 100 years ago when this was a country of physical labor jobs, the majority of jobs now involve sitting at a desk at a computer all day - one of the reasons for the rise in obesity. How could a man be exerting more effort at the keyboard than a woman?

9. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    i know many women who really get paid more then men who sit at
    keyboards the reason is many of them can type more words per-min
    then men do and that give them a higher pay scale

I also know a few women who get paid more in the Tele-Marketing field
    why is because it seem they have a better voice and this give them another
    .20 more then men here and they doing the same job

so where i am really driving at is , it all depend on the task at hand
    some men are better in some fields which raise there pay scale as
    well women it also come down to the skillz you have in the field at
    the same time all Blackz are paid from .25 to .75 less then whites
    I did the same labor job as the white guy i was there with 8 years
    under me and he had 3 and i was paid on the scale of 9.55 an hour
    he was paid 10.15 an hour i asked to be paid equal and two weeks
    later i was out the door i saw the same thing happening to the women

so my Question is why do we get so under paid as people????

10. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is true sister Gempis. In addition women are now working in what were once "male" jobs (military, law enforcement, etc). I truly don't see black women earning less than black men. Indeed if anything I think it is the reverse (although I admit I have no stats to back that up). That being said however there is no racial breakdown to the women make $.75 on the dollar study either. Also as brother Rich said, both black men & women are still paid less than white men. This is true in all industries and across all education levels. In my opinion this is a male-female issue that doesn't apply to our community. The problem is why do white males discriminate in both employment & pay towards different genders and races. The solution is that we need to start forming our own companies...becoming our own employers...subjecting ourselves to this discrimination (ya'll know I was going to put this in here).