Black Relationships : Sisters Suddenly Want a Guy Like Barack???

You know - I was reading a thread from awhile back this morning (forgot the name of it), and I had the same question after that thread as I do this one...

Why can we not build our relationships without identifying/comparing our brothas/sistahs with some well-known person? No wonder there are so-called "self-esteem" issues among people en masse. For example (in this case), now a brotha must be like "Barack" to suggest he's a "good catch." Now a sistah must be "michelle"-like to be worth value. Why can we not just take each other for who we are? Everyone is welcome to disprove me for saying this, but do you know how that affects a man's ego when he is described as "looking like [say] Grant Hill" or somebody who stepped out of a GQ Magazine cover rather than having his own features and characteristics? This type of thinking is killing our people, and heaven knows how much damage it is doing to our young people.

Should we stop basing our selection of each other solely on looks? Personally and certainly I wish so, but not really. After all we have free will, and have the freedom to choose however we want to choose. Then again, I feel that we should formulate the habit of taking each other for who we are, and not place them in a mental database of comparison(s). Go ahead and select brothas based on how they compare to "Barack," and let's see where this leads us.

KWABENA

:em0200:

Because often, who we are, aint exactly relationship material. Let alone marriageable. In a relationship, in order to relate, you must become a hybrid of yourself. The positive side of this is personal growth. Some of your habits may not be fit for human consumption. Sanding off the rough edges is a good thing. So is emulating some of the traits of the successful

:beerchug:

Last edited:
All good questions, Bro Kem. Unfortunately, women (black and otherwise) have a tendency to date men who TELL them they love them, instead of SHOWING them they love them. That can be considered a life lesson, or growing pain, and will continue until we (as women) learn better.And you have identified a very important issue. In the rush to be grown/independent, we avoid the wisdom of those who have stubbed their toes along the same paths. Females use to have men that were willing to work themselves into bad health. Males use to have women that they would kill for.

And the real problem might not be that women, en masse, have forgotten to say no. The real problem might be that men (not all) tend to lie about their emotions in the pursuit of a sex life. ("Uh, yeah, baby, sure I love you" "sure, I'll respect you tomorrow, just take off your dress." "I promise, I won't go no further......." etc.) Reference paragraph above! Men might be surprised, but some woman can handle the raw truth, and don't want to be lead down a primrose path. Don't ask for love when you want sex, and vice versa. Either path is disaster.Let me let you in on a secret. Guys have always been this way. Gals use to know how to leverage that to their favor. Back in the day, many a socalled playa ended up married with children, if he really wanted some. Yall have forgotten how to seal the deal. Closing a sale, is a refined art. :lol: :lol:

I can't speak for all women, I never settled for the "Barack" cause, I was no "Michelle"--and I figured as soon as dude saw the warts on my butt he'd be out of there. I settled for a ruff-neck, OG, ('fa real) round-the-hood Black Man. Yeah, he has his flaws, but hey, so do I.What's wrong with stepping up to the plate and being the best you can be for the right guy? Have we gotten lazy in our education and prosperity?

My Hero? More than that--My King!! Dealt with my teenage daughter, all that comes with that, my bad choices (some really bad!!) jail sentences (his and mine!) Within 13 years, that dude left my presence, but not my heart.Geez! That's a lot of drama :lol: :lol:

He's outside now, barbequing. He'll tell anyone he loves me, without reservation, and shout it from that Hoverround!!!! I'll tell anyone the very same about him. Now Dig that!!Aint nothing wrong with that. Hey, he is your version of Barack. Caring, loving and there thru thick and thin!

To paraphrase Bro Kwabena, I might not have a Barack, but mine is the one for me--without a doubt.

Barack wasnt prez when Michelle met him either, was he?

:SuN049:

Last edited:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back