Black Relationships : Sisters Suddenly Want a Guy Like Barack???

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Women seeking: A man like Barack Obama

Have you found your Barack? President is new code for Prince Charming
Obama has touched a nerve among black women in particular, who consider him an IBM (Ideal Black Man) — educated, eloquent, tall, attractive, family oriented, ambitious and down to earth.
View related photos
Mark Wilson / EPA file

By Megan K. Scott

updated 4:37 p.m. ET, Wed., June 17, 2009
NEW YORK - Monica Weeks has met many men, but at age 51 she says she still hasn't found her "Barack."

Among Weeks and her friends, President Barack Obama's name has become shorthand for a black man with integrity, character and spirituality, one who loves and values his wife and makes his family a priority — in other words, the kind of man that many black women had despaired of finding.

Weeks said probably every single woman she knows is looking for her "Barack."

"He absolutely makes me think it's attainable," said Weeks, a divorced mom in Somerset, N.J. "For women who are older and seeking a man, I think we can look at him and say, 'All is not lost.'"

The story is the same elsewhere among black women, who say the new code word for Prince Charming has become so commonplace that they have been asked "Have you found your Barack?" or told others "I'm looking for my Barack."

Obama's sex appeal hasn't hurt — what other president would get high marks in a swimsuit competition? But he has touched a nerve among black women in particular, who consider him an IBM (Ideal Black Man) — educated, eloquent, tall, attractive, family oriented, ambitious and down to earth

A good man is hard to find
For years, single black women have been commiserating about the perceived shortage of eligible black men. It's laughed about in movies ("Waiting to Exhale") and backed up with statistics: The May unemployment rate for black men was 16.8 percent for those ages 20 and older, compared to a national rate of 9.8 percent for all adult men. Black women outnumber black men almost 2-to-1 on college campuses. Most black babies are born to unwed mothers.

Click here for entire article--->http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31412631/ns/today_relationships/?ocid=twitter

Jahari Kavi

Feb 12, 2008
Houston, Texas
Occupation
Self Development
in the words of eddie griffin....."what happened to the days where a sister would just fall in love wit a n**** wit a bus pass???"

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
in the words of eddie griffin....."what happened to the days where a sister would just fall in love wit a n**** wit a bus pass???"

:toast:

LMAO

Looong gone apparently. But at least they are looking at us again. The guy with the bus pass may be some struggling future president

:em2300:

snugli360

Nov 25, 2008
SNUGLI360

I AM SPEAKING FOR MANY OF WOMEN BY NATURE THEN BY EXPERIENCE.I LOVE MY BLACK MAN,DO BLACK MEN LOVE THEMSELVES? THIS IS A FIRST FOR ME TO HEAR THAT BLACK WOMEN ARE LOOKING FOR A BARACK MAN. LET ME SPEAK FOR ME AS A WOMAN.I AM A HUMBLE WOMAN HAVE DATED VARIOUS MEN, IN SO DOING HAVE FOUND THAT YOU CAN DATE A BLACK MAN WHEN HE IS DOWN BEING THE STRENGHT THAT HE NEEDS WHILE HE STRUGGLES ONCE THINGS LOOK UP HE'S OUT THE DOOR WITH SOMEONE ELSE BE IT A DIFFERENT RACE. US WOMEN GO THROUGH SO MUCH TRYING TO BE THAT LOVE AND SUPPORT FOR HER MAN WHEN HE OBTAIN HIS GOALS SHE IS SOMETIMES LEFT ALONE WHILE HE GOES AND LIVE THE GOOD LIFE WITH SOMEONE ELSE THAT WASN'T THERE TO CONSOLE HIM WHEN HE FELT LESS OF A MAN CAUSE HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY MONEY,SELF ESTEEM,LITERACY,ETC WE AS WOMEN HAVE BEEN DEALT OUR FAIR SHARE OF CARDS TRYING TO BE UNDERSTANDING TO BROTHERS AND THE STRUGGLE.I DON'T BLAME BLACK WOMEN FOR SETTING STANDARDS OF WHAT THEIR IDEAL MAN MUST MEASURE UP TO BE.

mizjoice

Feb 4, 2007
Memphis, TN
Occupation
to encourage and support
i feel you snugli360, and I did read the article. I don't feel that black women are looking specifically for their 'Barack', at least, not specifically equipped with the attributes that were described. (A brother with a bus card can still get some play!) The quality that Barack displays that I would love to see more evident in Black Relationships is his obvious love for his wife. Barack is in love with Michelle, doesn't mind holding her hand (anywhere), makes no bones about the fact that that is his woman, his lover, his wife. He don't care where they are, or who's around--it's something just electric between them, that you can plainly see. I can't speck for other black women, but for me, that is just so cool!!!!

To my sistah Snugli, quiet as it is kept, there are probably some brothers looking for their 'Michelle'. What I mean by that is Michelle was going on about her life when she met Barack. She had her own education, her own career, her own stuff going on. My aunt used to say, "teach a man a,b,c.........he won't be back until he needs to learn d,e,f." (My brothers: don't lynch me--like I said, my aunt used to say that!) Sometimes we can support the aspirations of others without supporting our own dreams and aspirations--that is usually a bad move. If like attracts like, become who you wish to attract, and he (or she) will surely come. It seems to have happened for the Obama's, and I like to believe it can happen for any of the rest of us.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : sisters defend biden's racist past..... Black People Politics 0
IFE Black Positive People : Young Compton sisters impressing with golf skills Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Kemetstry Black People : WHAT TRUMP REALLY THINKS OF SISTERS Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : These Sorority Sisters Did a ‘Melanin Illustrated’ Photo Shoot Black People Doing Positive Things 1
IFE Black Positive People : Teen Sisters Write Book Urging Young Girls of Color to Celebrate Their Hair Black People Doing Positive Things 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : Venus and Serena Williams set up all-sisters Australian Open final Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Kemetstry Black Positive People : SISTERS AND SCIENCE Black People Doing Positive Things 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Spoken Words for Destee, ABJ and other Sisters who love the idea of Love OldSoul 0
chuck Black People : Sisters, Do Speak Up, Too! Black People Open Forum 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : photos of victorian sisters..... Black People Open Forum 8
chuck Black People : Black Sisters Got It Going On Too! Black People Open Forum 18
John Williams Black Women : Sisters, is this true or a myth...? Black Women 8
John Williams Black Women : Sisters, if the B-Word simply means a female dog, why is the word so offensive sometimes? Black Women 4
I Black Women : Another question for the Sisters (Black women) Black Women 26
Kemetstry Black People Politics : WHY SISTERS SHOULD VOTE IN MASS Black People Politics 5
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : The Clark Sisters'Pure Gold!" Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
E Black Spirituality Religion : Question #3 for Bible-believing Sisters (Gen. 3:16) Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
E Black Spirituality Religion : Another question for Bible-believing Sisters Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
E Black Spirituality Religion : Question for Bible-believing Sisters Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 7
NyneElementz Black Christians : Sisters, Pray for your men!!! Christian Study Group 9
KPITRL Black Relationships : Sharing my background with sisters Black Relationships 51
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : Pointer Sisters - Fire Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : The Pointer Sisters - He's So Shy (1980) Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
NecessaryChaos The Front Porch : Hello Brothers and Sisters The Front Porch 10
MsInterpret Black Positive People : Long Lost Sisters Reunited at Track Meet Black People Doing Positive Things 4
chuck Black People : Another One For The Sisters! Black People Open Forum 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : WHY SISTERS FLAUNT THEIR BODIES? Black People Open Forum 407
queensweet Black Women : To my corporate America sisters. Some advice please. Black Women 0
NyneElementz Black Relationships : An honest question for my sisters - what things about a man says that he can be used Black Relationships 38
MsInterpret Black Relationships : Black men are exempt and Sisters are the problem Black Relationships 268
NyneElementz Black Relationships : Sisters: Brothers with Potential vs. Ready Made,Men - which do you really prefer and why? Black Relationships 3
cherryblossom Black Positive People : David McGhee: Big Brothers/Big Sisters Black People Doing Positive Things 1
Keita Kenyatta Gun Ownership : Check out this Sisters ammunition and gun stockpile for SHTF Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
jamesfrmphilly Health and Wellness : williams sisters go to raw food Black Health and Wellness 1
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : The Pointer Sisters - I'm So Excited Audio Video Web Conferencing 11
Destee Black Relationships : Sisters - Stop Letting Men Mistreat You - You Are No Where Near as Weak and Fragile as You Claim! Black Relationships 61
CeCe The Front Porch : Hello Sisters and Brothers The Front Porch 15
RAPTOR Audio Video Web Conferencing : Steely Dan - Babylon Sisters Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
chuck Black Women : Sisters And Brothers: Can We Be Candid And Honest About This Too? Black Women 3
jamesfrmphilly Black Relationships : babies are cute, sisters are attractive Black Relationships 8
PurpleMoons Black Entertainment : Bless you...For my Christian Brothers and Sisters! Black Entertainment 2
MsInterpret Jails / Prisons : Scott Sisters Must Lose Weight to Comply With Prison Release Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
U Black People : Brothers and Sisters... *sigh* It's time to talk about Black Feminism Black People Open Forum 45
S Black People : Governor Suspends Scott Sisters' Sentences Black People Open Forum 6
Ankhur Black People : Big Pharmaceutical Co. s experimenting on Sisters and Brothers in the Motherland Black People Open Forum 0
Enki Black People : Scott Sisters Update..Why this happened. Black People Open Forum 9
MsInterpret Black Entertainment : The Pointer Sisters Black Entertainment 19
$$RICH$$ Quiet Poetry Lounge : Dedication 2 my beloved Black sisters Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
C Black Relationships : Challenging the myth that sisters don't want blue collar brothers Black Relationships 21
Destee Black Relationships : Sisters Want Someone To Blame For Their Bad Relationships Black Relationships 176