Black Women : Sisterhood among black women

karmashines

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 26, 2005
What can be done to improve sisterhood among black women? I posted on another thread in real life I've noticed some of us PHYSICALLY and EMOTIONALLY harm one another; getting into unnecessary fights and calling one another out of our names. Only one person in that thread thus far expanded on this particular issue, which is why I wanted to make a separate thread dedicated to it.

As a black woman, have you also had problems in this area? What do you think are the causes of a lack of sisterhood, and is there anything that can be done to prevent it? There was the Million Man March for black men... should something similar be done for black women that would be on the same scale?

Also, for anyone that might be wondering the thread I'm referencing to, it is right here: (Human Issues and Black Progress)

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41782

The men of Destee are welcome to respond too, though it is preferred that discussions are geared in the context of what you may have observed how BW treat one another from your experiences.

karmashines said:
What can be done to improve sisterhood among black women? I posted on another thread in real life I've noticed some of us PHYSICALLY and EMOTIONALLY harm one another; getting into unnecessary fights and calling one another out of our names. Only one person in that thread thus far expanded on this particular issue, which is why I wanted to make a separate thread dedicated to it.

As a black woman, have you also had problems in this area? What do you think are the causes of a lack of sisterhood, and is there anything that can be done to prevent it? There was the Million Man March for black men... should something similar be done for black women that would be on the same scale?

Also, for anyone that might be wondering the thread I'm referencing to, it is right here: (Human Issues and Black Progress)

The men of Destee are welcome to respond too, though it is preferred that discussions are geared in the context of what you may have observed how BW treat one another from your experiences.

This is something I have touched on as well in these myriad of discussions.

One sister here said "We seem fine to me", as it pertains to Black women.

Something is obviously wrong with this, when so many Sisters claim to not stand each other.

If you can't stand each other, how do you expect us Brothers--or anyone else in the world, for that matter--to be able to stand you?

It's a phenomena that's blatant and overt, and not the slightest bit inconspicous, as very few Black women seek to hide their contempt for everything and everyone.

I think one of the main things that hinders Black women from attaining fruitful friendships with other Sisters, relationships with Black men, and other things that they strive to attain, is their apparent inability to look within themselves to see their own faults.

Black women don't seem to take constructive criticism very well; instead of using it as a tool to grow, it either gets casually dismissed, or used as a reason to lash out and fire back at their perceived "accusor".

I have seen this be made manifested both on here, as well as in real life arenas (work, in the street, within my family, within my past relationships, etc.)

The Black woman is going to have to come to terms with her Self, if she expects to have fulfilling interactions with others.

PEACE

karmashines said:

Sister Karmashines ... I have always had very positive, encouraging, warm, and wonderful relationships with Sisters (and Brothers too). I base it simply on what i bring to the table, as i usually get the same in return.

I'm sure other Sisters will share their thoughts.

:heart:

Destee

SAMURAI36 said:
This is something I have touched on as well in these myriad of discussions.

One sister here said "We seem fine to me", as it pertains to Black women.

Something is obviously wrong with this, when so many Sisters claim to not stand each other.

If you can't stand each other, how do you expect us Brothers--or anyone else in the world, for that matter--to be able to stand you?

It's a phenomena that's blatant and overt, and not the slightest bit inconspicous, as very few Black women seek to hide their contempt for everything and everyone.

I think one of the main things that hinders Black women from attaining fruitful friendships with other Sisters, relationships with Black men, and other things that they strive to attain, is their apparent inability to look within themselves to see their own faults.

Black women don't seem to take constructive criticism very well; instead of using it as a tool to grow, it either gets casually dismissed, or used as a reason to lash out and fire back at their perceived "accusor".

I have seen this be made manifested both on here, as well as in real life arenas (work, in the street, within my family, within my past relationships, etc.)

The Black woman is going to have to come to terms with her Self, if she expects to have fulfilling interactions with others.

PEACE

This Sister bash'n aint gonna be happening over and over and over again.

:heart:

Destee

I have had several long term, warm, loving, and supportive relationships with other sistas. I've also had some experiences with my sistas that were less positive. The wonderful thing about these less than positive experiences is that we could at least talk about our misunderstandings and decide how we wanted to go from there.

That's one of the many things I love about Black women. We're not shy about talkin. LOL No matter what happens, we're not afraid to talk about it and cry about it together, if need be--at least this has been my experience. Sometimes, we can't talk about it when the rip is happening, but sooner or later, it's comes out. Of course, this depends on the relationship.

One of the ways to get past some of the rough spots we have with each other is to just tell that sista that you're not going to fight with her--no matter what. When things cool off, tell her that you love her or that you want to talk about whatever happened and remind her that we can't afford to fight. If she's not the type of person you can say these things to because of her own pain, then it's just best to leave her alone, but still be willing to help her out if she needs it. Sometimes, this must be done from a distance, but never abandon her.

If more Black women knew that we ALWAYS have each other, no matter what else we don't have, we would be rich beyond measure.

Whatever we do, we should not fight our sistas or try to cause them more pain because the only reason why a sista lashes out is because she's in pain.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back