Black People : Sister Wins Miss America Pageant...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Aqil, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    Ericka Dunlap, Miss Florida, Wins Miss America Pageant

ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey (AP) - Ericka Dunlap, Miss Florida, beat out 50 rivals Saturday to be crowned Miss America in a pageant that featured some of the brainiest contestants that judges have seen in years.

Ms. Dunlap wins a rhinestone tiara, a runway walk, $50,000 in scholarship aid, a yearlong national speaking tour and - after it - the permanent tag of "former Miss America."

When her name was announced, Ms. Dunlap gasped, held her hands to her face and exclaimed "Oh, my God" several times.

She won both the evening gown and the talent portion of the competition, singing "If I Could." And she correctly answered five of eight questions on a pop quiz given to the five finalists.

A student at the University of Central Florida, Ms. Dunlap plans to promote cultural diversity during her yearlong reign as Miss America...

CONGRATULATIONS SISTER!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/09/20/miss.america.ap/index.html

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    I struggle with this. I'm truly happy for Ericka and all that she has accomplished and won in prizes. Talented, smart and favored. I'm curious to know what her message about cultural diversity that she intends to promote, will be.

But the reason for my struggle is this whole notion about "beauty" and how it's defined and what message it sends to those (the majority) that don't fit this standard. If you've got women from all types of educational levels and cultural backgrounds competing and striving to win such an event...what does that really say--even if they're in it only for the money and name recognition?

Would Ericka have won this pageant if she wore no make-up, or had her hair natural (the news pics appears that it isn't)? I'm just curious.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but, should we be proud that our sister reigns as Miss Amerikkka?

3. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    I am very proud, NNQueen...

4. napturaltwistie

napturaltwistie Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    why shouldn't we be proud?I'm also glad to see that they chose a dark-skinned female win miss america. she is truely beautiful. But i see what you're getting at NNQueen, i notice that the black women in the miss america pagent always have to have straight hair, i've never seen one with natural hair.

although i think the other black woman(ms. maryland) should have won, i am still happy for her. I don't think she was as intelligent, beautiful, or half as talented as ms. maryland.

I was also surprised that 3 out of the 5 runner ups were also of african american decent. that woman you see in the picture standing next to her(ms. Hawaii) is half black and half hawiian.

peace

5. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Again, another one---that makes what almost 10--I think...including the chick from last year who classified herself as an African-American....
    I haven't saw her yet, but I am surprised if she is dark-skinned.
    Good for her.

6. Deepa

Deepa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I wouldn't say I'm happy for her, more happy if she's happy with her "accomplishment", but the pageant itself is based on stereotypes and the judgement of societally induced artificial characteristics of women.

Remember the song has a lyric that states "there she is America's ideal"

I don't know about y'all but that phrase carries a lot of damage, especially when it comes to placing black women who are already damaged enough.

Don't get too happy for crumbs when satisfaction needs a meal.

7. soul_doctor73

soul_doctor73 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    It's all surface content. The fact that a black woman won is so far besides the point as to be non-existant.

I'm sorry Aqil, promoting blackness and all, but this isn't black, it's exploitation. And Miss Black America is just a bigger pay day than they were expecting.

I bet the execs were falling all over themselves from the weight of the dollar signs in their eyes.

Yep, I know I sound incensed. It's because I am. *What* was significant about this pagent any way? Did it help *us* or them?

But what does it matter? Only NN cares any way.

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I was happy to see her win it , it may be many things to others but her work was rewarded the crown
    she is a shinning beautiful star it's where she allow it to go and how far she let herself go i think it was a well rewarding thing.

9. SwtT

SwtT Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educational/Human Resources field
    Ratings:
    +28
    omg!! ppl stop being that way!!! it seems that everytime we take a step up, you choose to bring it down by the negativity by which you use in such a vulgar way...They choose a DARK-SKINNED SISTA TO BE MISS AMERICA!!!!! and yet half you u who have replied are still stuck on that same old slave mentaliity....."quote by some oneAmerikkka...if it was still "kkk" then NNQueen, why aren't we off hanging from a tree somewhere?

10. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    Ericka Dunlap, Miss Florida proud of her...