Sister's Only Chat : SISTER CHAT: Tuesday, March 2, 2004, 8:00 p.m., EST, Voice Chat Classroom

Queenie

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Greetings Sisters!
Sister Chat: Tuesday, March 2, 2004
8:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Voice Chat Classroom
(Sisters only!)
Topic: Black Women's Wellness: Body

"Not a strong wind, nor a surge of pressure, nor a fit of passion, nor anything, can throw you off when your body, mind, and spirit are in perfect balance" --Unknown

This is the third and final part to a wonderful discussion on Black Women’s Wellness. In Part One, sisters discussed Black women and mental health. Part Two discussion focused on Black Women and spirituality. Part Three will focus on Black women and how we nurture and take care of our physical health. For those that haven’t been attending Sister Chat discussions, the following is a brief highlight of the first two sessions:

· “Wellness” is defined as the condition of good physical and mental health, especially when maintained by proper diet, exercise and habits. Wellness can be argued as serving a useful function as a means of describing a state that includes not just physical health but fitness and emotional well-being.

· The depression rate among Black women is estimated to be almost 50 percent higher than that of Caucasian women. Sixty percent of Black women suffer from depression, but few seek professional help because of a communal stigma and because there are few providers specializing in Black issues.

· Racism is a source of stress for Blacks that negatively impacts physical and psychological well-being. However, researchers have paid virtually no attention to the contextual factors that may affect the racism-well-being link.

· Studies show that men and women react differently to stress. Men often react to stress with a fight-or-flight response [react aggressively or withdraw]. Women are more likely to manage stress with a tend-and-befriend response by nurturing or seeking social contact.

· The spiritual dimension of lifestyle wellness involves our seeking meaning and purpose in our human existence. It could involve seeking answers to philosophical questions, such as, “Why am I here,” and “What is life about?”

· Black women are not in tune with their Divine potential. In a way, the so-called “liberation” of women has enslaved them, it has take their time and focus away from fulfilling their role as nurturer, educator and the divine expression of life itself.

· Black women were once recognized as the great spiritual healers and beings.

· Black women in America have so much to offer this country, so many gifts to share with all of us. And yet, as a society and as a nation, we have never quite stopped to appreciate the truth of their experience, the verity of what it feels like to be Black and female, the reality that no matter how intelligent, competent, and dazzling she may be, a Black woman in our country today still cannot count on being understood and embraced by mainstream white America.

· To Black women in general, “spirituality” emerges as a space for creative agency, of vital importance to the ways in which they interpret, inform, and reshape their social conditions—conditions often characterized by limited access to job opportunities, health care, and equitable schooling.

· Black women see how spirituality operates as a transformative power in their interactions with others, and in their own more intimate renegotiations with themselves.

· To reclaim our true spiritual essence and power, Black women must get silent and go within. For it is within the depths of us that lies the core of our power. We must follow our breath, find the place within us that connects our breath to that force that created us and all of life. Whether you call that force God, Allah, the Creator, you must find it. It is a place of darkness leading to immense light.

· We must begin to make time to become reacquainted with ourselves, the world is crying out for us to do it. The turmoil and desperation in our communities are urging us to rise to evolve to find that power that we have allowed to be buried out of the realm of our awareness. In order to find this place, we must embark on a journey within.

We hope that this synopsis inspires sisters to join us in our discussions during Sister Chat. As you can see, we have some very deliberate and deep discussions about issues that affect us and our community. We hope to see more of you next Tuesday, as we continue our discussion of Black Women’s Wellness.

Peace,
Queenie :heart:

We need to work on that!

My sister, my sister! :lol: I know what you mean. Sometimes my baby dinosaur gets finicky and won't let me pass "go" either but most of the time she's cool and let's me in. She's so old, she grinds, spits and sputters sometimes when I try to log into the chatroom, and I may have to reboot several times but after arm wrestling with her, she finally gives in. Whew. . . :lol:

Ummmm...could it be time for an upgrade you think? :geek: I keep promising to give my laptop a new baby sister and though it hasn't happened yet, it seems to soothe her anxieties for a minute.

But don't give up sis...we've got some technical people here that might be able to help you out.

Queenie :heart:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back