Sister's Only Chat : SISTER CHAT: Monday, February 26, 2007, Regular Time, 8:00 p.m., EST

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by watzinaname, Feb 24, 2007.

1. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    Sister Chat: Monday, February 26, 2007
    8:00 pm to 10:00 pm
    Voice Chat Classroom
    (Sisters only!)
    Topic: Depression
    When you hear the word depression, what do you think of? The blues, feeling low, or feeling down in the dumps? Just plain sad? We all experience sadness, but there's a difference between being sad and being clinically depressed.

The DSM IV (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders-Fourth Edition) is the current reference used by mental health professionals and physicians to diagnose mental disorders. According to the DSM IV, the diagnosis describes the symptoms themselves which include: Affective Symptoms, depressed mood or loss of interest. Behavioral Symptoms, such as social withdrawal. Cognitive, such as difficulty concentrating. And physical difficulties which include insomnia.

During chat an overview of the types of depression, and their specifiers, or sub-categories of those types will be presented. However, the focus of chat will be the following:

1. What are the causes of clinical depression?
    2. What are the symptoms?
    3. How is it diagnosed?
    4. What are the treatments?
    5. Is there a stigma attached to depression, or any mental illness for that matter? If so, is that stigma more prevalent in the Black community?

Come on out and share your knowledge, experiences, and questions about this subject.
    Sister Chat: Monday, February 26, 2007
    8:00 pm to 10:00 pm
    Voice Chat Classroom
    Topic: Depression

See you there!
    Peace
    "Watz"
    Sister Chat co-facilitator

2. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    I'll be there,
    Being in a depressed state of mind...is deep!
    This topic sounds very interesting.
    thanks watz

3. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Aww Man! I'm missing all the good topics.

I want to be there but my puter is having issues. It won't let me get into chat nor hear any audio.:bye:

I hope I can get if fix real soon. I'm missing out on so much.

:heart:

4. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    Sorry Purplemoons, hope you get those technical glitches fixed real soon sis.

This Sister Chat....wow. When I first started presenting my overview on depression, I just thought it was going to be a chat with very little participation. But midway, I could feel that something deep and powerful was going to occur. I just want to thank all the sisters who shared, and cared. It's simply amazing what we can do as we bond, isn't it, sisters? Peace!