Destee Network : Single Parents of Color - new social network

Discussion in 'Destee Network :' started by UNIQ1, May 3, 2009.

1. UNIQ1

UNIQ1 Banned

Ratings:
    +0
  2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    "Single Parents of Color
    Uniting Single Parents to Help Strengthen, Support and Encourage One Another"

I think this is great! So many of our households are parented by singles and grandparents. So, any vehicle which serves them is a plus in my book.

3. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    Etiquette

I always like it when someone finds the forum, doesn't even take the time to introduce themselves or get to know anyone, but wants to promote another site. The sales approach is a little dry, but I'll take a peek

4. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Good luck and best wishes, to one and all, who are a part of that obviously (badly) needed (and wanted) new organization!

FYI...

Take care...

Peace...

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Thank you for sharing with us here and welcome to destee.com the house of
    color peace and respecting love

surely many will visit / view and check it all out for we have so many broken
    homes and single mothers / Fathers who could benefit from this again thankz.

6. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Good evening, moderator...

And, of course, the norm has been two parties (married couples) raising the children. which their love for each other etc. which led to the physical acts, and therefore the one person's eventually bringing new life into their-- as well as our midst...

But, not all relationships work out, so there was as well as is a need for alternative sources/mutual support networks...

Though--sooner or later--the other issues and problems--i. e,. also which lead to the norm-- rather than the exception-- being single female headed households--we-- as a people-- will have to find rational and reasonable solutions to...

Otherwise good luck and best wishes to those particular sisters...

Take care...

Peace...

:SuN044:

7. phynxofkemet

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    where & when was this the norm??? Marriage maybe, child conceived from a loving union? you know what I love about history? It leaves out herstory!

What irks me is when people speak about single parenting as if it is somehow abnormal, or below the standard. how many orphans and children are sold into slavery every year? Yes, in fact there are millions of children that are trafficked in trade, and some are sold by their "parents".

In Canada in the last 2 weeks we've seen two "parents" or married couples abandon their kids at restaurants and public places. Just get up and walk away. So please, please let us be real. It doesn't matter what model you adopt in life, the true capacity to love is shown from your heart not your ability to look "normal".

You know really we got enough on our plates without some subtle stigma dished out.

I think proponents of "traditional" families should just do everyone else a favor and keep their opinions to themselves, but thats just IMHO

8. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    First of all?

I'm not pretending to be an expert...

Second of all?

If I aired an opinion you don't agree with, just be candid and honest about that...

Above and beyond that:

Canada isn't the U. S., and I do know a little bit about both, poster...

My family history etc.:

Two brothers--enslaved africans--ages six and eight--ironically enough--sold into slavery when the importation of human beings as unpaid laborers had been made illegal--hence that Mississipi plantation owners rep bought them in Texas!

Then a black slave couple adopted both into their family...

Without that having taken place?

No descendants--no granddad--no mate for my grandma--no ma--maybe no me!

But that was then and this is now...

Different people...

Different choices...

Different places and spaces...

Though some alternatives work well...

Others poorly...

Or no new for support groups...

Etc.

FYI...

9. phynxofkemet

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    Ok Poster,

I thought I was quite candid in expressing that I don't agree with you... I am unable to decipher the meaning behind your family history & the subject?

What I was getting at was challenging the idea that married couples raise children who are planned & wanted, and that a "traditional mom, dad, legitimate children is a normal arrangement. From the onset of recorded history, men have been siring children in and out of wedlock as much as they desired. Womben have been having children in and out of wedlock for much of that time as well, and often having children for husbands that they didn't necessarily love or desire.

It just seems that "single parents" get this stigma attached to them, and now that I am one, I'm sensitive to it. The look within the eyes of intake officers, the tone of voice amongst your friends or network, and the comments made by well meaning folks who consider this a plague on the community.

10. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Chuck:

Do keep in mind, including when it comes to times like these, that this culture/cosciety/etc. is geared towards catering or pandering to the needs and wants of its haves, so some of everybody tries to play off its have nots as being mere indidivuals and/or at fault for their own fates, etc.

Yes:

You and I know better...

But...

Some things folk like you can and will have to do for yourselves!

Good luck!

Best wishes...

Later...

Peace...

:em0100: