Black Positive People : Single men are filling the parenting void

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by Zulile, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    [​IMG]

ST. LOUIS — Kory Alexander says he got tired 11 years ago of meeting teenagers from his St. Louis neighborhood with no parents to care for them and no place to go.

So Alexander, then a 24-year-old single guy, became a foster parent to a teenager he knew while working at St. Vincent's Children's Home in Normandy. It's a role he has since undertaken 11 times.

He didn't stop there. So far, he has adopted three teenagers from foster care who are now legal adults. And he's hoping to soon adopt two of his five current foster teens.

"They see me working, they see me home. They see how I step up to the plate and take care of them," Alexander said of the youths, ages 15, 16, 16, 16 and 17, on a rainy afternoon as three of the boys played video games and did homework inside the apartment.

"I talk to them mostly about being independent," he said of the boys, whom the Post-Dispatch cannot name because of their foster care status. "I tell them, 'If you don't go to college, you go into the Army.'"

Although the number is still relatively small, more and more single men are adopting from the nation's increasing pool of hard-to-place foster children.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...24C574489F51C1218625742E00117907?OpenDocument

2. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6

Now thats Black Power! Now if we can start to wrap ourselves around the Polygamy issue, we might save our families yet.:deal:

3. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    How would polygamy save a family?

4. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6

Hey my brother. First, this is not the polygamy that most think of. I am not talking about a bunch of dirty old men running around with kids! That is FILTH! I am talking about brothers stepping in and taking care of other mens kids. Whether they be an ex wife or girlfrieds kids or maybe just a friends children. There are too many women only households. And while it is crystal clear the esteem that I hold the QUEENS in. the fact of the matter is that GOOD men are needed to help raise children! Particularly MALE children. Also quite frankly I am not opposed to a man having more than one "wife" If he is a good man and they can pull it off then I say do it. I do the first way because I am one who cannot because i can only be involved with one woman at a time. But thats me. I guess what I am saying is that BIG problems cannot be solved by small or closed minds. but then again I like to think on a LARGE scale for some of our issues.

5. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I understand the attempt, but having more than wife, is having more than one; that still does not solve for a family crisis. All that does is add more folks to the equation.

I think the crisis would be solved when people start becoming better people.

6. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6

I agree but we are in crisis mode. We will have to do something soon. Maybe consider something outside the norm. I am a bottom line person bruh. Whatever works to fix this situation.:em0200:

7. Each1teach1

Each1teach1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    This is something Ive always dreamed of doing and I will adopt one of our own when Im in the position to do so. im glad that someone has got the brains to step up....this is the true definition of NATION BUILDING. This is how it begins...This is being about it, instead of just talking...mad love to that brother.

8. Qwamii

Qwamii Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    We need men to raise men.......

What this brotha has done is of a great service to our society as well us as a people. Its sad that these stories are not perpetuated in the more prominent media sources.

As far as polygamy, if every man had one woman there would still be a plethora of women without a "family life". Polygamy was a means to guarantee that everyone would have a right to a family. The numbers alone have us men as a shortage, then as you start to factor in other variables that plague our communities it get even shorter.

With that being said ONLY REAL, SPIRITUAL, DISCIPLINED, TRAINED men were to have such a life. With out that foundation it is nothing more than pimping. It wasn't/isn't for all.

Peace and Blessings
    ~Qwamii~

9. Yardlee

Yardlee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Thats a noble thing the brother is doing. I wish him all the best i all of the positive things that he is doing.

10. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6

You are 1000% right Q