Black Entertainment : Single Black Mothers In The Media, Stereotype Or Reality?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by spicybrown, Dec 19, 2005.

1. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Anybody here remember the show "South Central", starring Lorenz Tate, Maia Campbell(Naomi Campbell's lil' sister), and Thea? It used to aire in 92-93 on FOX. Why was that show on for just a season? IYO are shows like this one, and the following, a respectful representation of familes headed by single Black mothers? Particularly rearing Black boys to men? Let's touch bases. A little feedback, please?! How about other shows like "Thea", "What's Happenin'", "The Women Of Brewster Place", parts of "Cooley High" to name a few.

2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I think the TV Media believes that it cannot get good ratings with a positive show about Single Black Mothers. IF you notice all of the Single Black Mothers you mentioned were in comedic situations.

I would like too see more TV shows which have more dramas about Single Black Mothers that are positive, and not so comedic in nature. In my own scripts that I Write, I do my best to include positive stories about Single Black Mothers.

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Imma go back a little further to one i auditioned for but didnt get the part...."Julia"...

It's true that most of these show are situational Comedies...not even romantic comedies...."Julia" was more progressive at the time because she was a professional Black woman who was attracitve and not the stereotypical "Mammy"..but there were a number of other issues presented by this particular show, which was fairly popular in it's day because Diahann Carrol was a popular actress.

I would say that some media portrayals are stereotype, others mirror reality...

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I think there is a greater possibility of seeing a "positive" single black mother on TV, than seeing a loving black marriage which isn't problematic.

5. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I would like to second Pan's Comments. I believe that Sucessful Black Marriages on TV Just aint gone show no time soon.

I remember I let someone read one of my screenplays, and I believed they were appalled to find succesfull black Marriages in them. They claimed that my screenplay was not real enough. Yet this is the same person who sat through all Six Star Wars Films and claimed that they were real and believable too.

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    The portrayal of successful black marriages in the media is more important than showing successful single mothers. As the former is more likely to improve relationships and the social-economic status of the black community. Although there are examples of black love in every community (as well as you aviator). Black people need to see it represented in the media, like every other type of love is represented.

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Come on ya'll....The Cosby show portrayed a successful Black marriage with the principals also successful Black professionals. It was probably the most successful series in the history of television with a predominately Black cast. At the same time, any idea how many folks still refer to Cosby as a tom and the show as unrealistic?

Even then, the Cosby show was a comedy...With all the money folks like Oprah, Montell and Russell Simmons have it would seem that they would be able to put together a production company to address this issue...but then...this also requires script writers and the sad fact is most Black screen and script writers are trained in comedy...

8. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Brother Omo on the Scriptwriting.

I have never written a comedy myself, I believe that the choice to write comedies is simply a choice, for some strange reason, a good percentage of Black script writers only write comedies because that is the money maker.

http://www.manasia.net/ - THere are some small Treatments of my scripts on my website for you all to check out.

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Brother Manasiac,

Thanks for sharing. I will check out your site..in fact i think I have checked it out before...yeah...I used to take some screenwriting workshops at the Ameican Film Institute and was usually the only brother in my classes...a few sister though...and the dramatic stuff the women into...well...you can imagine...more "superblackwomansingleindependentparenthoodtrapism"....lol

I guess this is where my laziness and procrastination is working against me...i got a few projects i started on and one idea would lead to something else none of which are finished...i do family research then develop plots based on historical family situations...i dont think hoolywood ready for my stuff cuz there so many "strong independent Black men" who were pioneering Businessmen who were responsible parents and male role models..

10. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I can say Amen to that Brother Omo.

However, I believe Hollywood is ready, we just got to get the material for them. Next year I will be creating several short films and documentary, I will force them to recognize the newness.