Black People : SILENT THUNDER:BLACKS IN NASCAR RACING..

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    http://www.racingpress.com/publish/article_269.shtml

Peops, I heard this gentlemen on the Bev Smith radio program, and thought his story to be most interesting... Sorry for posting it in the OPEN forum, but I really didn't know where to post it other than the Sports Forum where it would not likely be read by folks who aren't into sports...

In any event, it is a wonderful story he told in the new book, Silent Thunder, and I wanted to pass the info around to those who are interested...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    thanks for posting this thread, I've been watching some of the involvements of our people in nascar, but I've also been keeping a close eye on CART and Formula, I wish more brothas were involved in the two latter racing. We have the resources for sponsoring the drivers but not the focus

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Sekhemu, I must admit major ignorance regarding this arena, as well as, African people having any involvement in it... I must admit, too, that Mr. Leonard Miller, the brother whom I heard on the radio show, was mad fascinating to listen to... He was saddened by our lack of interest in the Nascar circuit, because there's money to be made in the field just changing tires(smile!) Well, they're gonna build a fabulous nascar arena in New York soon, so perhaps that'll all change...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i'm down with formula 1 and champ car (CART).
    i like road racing and drag racing, hate ovals.

the best thing a black driver could do at a NASCAR race would be to crash his car into the stands at full tilt with a full load of fuel.
    might get a few red necks that way.

5. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Now that's an Idea, big James*LOL!

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother James! :eeek: Surely you jest?!!! :spank:

Brother Isaiah ... thanks for sharing this with us. I remember seeing some program a few years back about one lone Brother trying to work his way up in the ranks of NASCAR (at least i think it was that). The program spoke about the fact that few Black folk are involved in this sport, at any level. It was very hard for the Brother they were featuring, to get the big corporate (white) endorsements needed to compete on the highest levels, no matter that his skill level was already there.

Brother Sekhemu ... you say we have the resources but lack the focus ... is there any area outside of racing, where we have the resources and the focus?! Please share with me.

Hopefully we'll be seeing some Brothers out there making those big bucks soon!

Again, thanks Brother Isaiah.

Much Love and Peace Yall.

:heart:

Destee

7. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Perhaps if some recording artist started featuring CART and Formula 1, more of our people would take an interest and get involved in it. James I'm with you about the oval tracks when it comes to CART, the grand prix tracks are more exciting to me.

Isaiah, like you I'm in New York, when I was a boy, my mom would take us to Columbus coliseum, when they held the auto shows there, this is where I started being interested in exotic racing cars

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    they were going to set up a road race through central park but they were afraid the drivers would get mugged and have their cars jacked. :slobber:

9. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    To answer your question. The record business, and to another degree entertainers in general. Let's say we got together, Magick Johnson, Oprah Winfrey, Robert Johnson, Michael Jordan, Bill Cosby, Quincy Jones, Shaquille O'Neal, Isaiah Thomas, Russell Simmons, Sean Combs, Berry Gordy, Micheal Jackson(maybe lol) and a handful of Black Investment bankers, and they put up 50 million dollars a piece and Go to CART and/or Formula 1 racing and inform them they want to to buy out the existing contracts of the racers or invest in the racing league. That would be a huge cash cow.

Formula 1 and CART have racers and owners from Latin america, particuliarly from Brazil, so it's not as exclusive as say Nascar. It could be done, but the interest has to be generated

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    there are a lot of brothers in drag racing and outlaw racing,
    i used to race a Honda back in the day (till i crashed at a high rate of speed). :dance3:

an open wheel racer is just a bike with two extra wheels.
    there's a pool of brothers ready to be "graduated" from outlaws to the legit series.

it could happen.