Black Women : Should Women Fight In Wars?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by NNQueen, Apr 1, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Once upon a time in America, women could enter the military but only have desk jobs or be nurses. Women were never permitted to fight on the front lines. American laws and society have changed.

Recently in the war against Iraq, a woman (African American) was taken POW. Pictures of her being interrogated by the Iraqi's showed a woman that was absolutely terrified. I believe she was a store clerk before she entered the military. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you think that women should fight in wars and if the draft should ever come back, do you think that women will now be drafted along with men?

2. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe in the same pay for the same job. If a woman is capable to perform up to standards then let her fight. Although keep in mind men and women are not equal. Once there was a news report on letting women doing so called "men-jobs". This lady, about 5 foot 5 and 95lbs wanted to be a firefighter. Although, the the axe firefighters use is like 50lbs, packpack like another 50lbs, ladder was not so light either. Even though she was given a change she struggled because of limited strength.

3. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Well-Known Member MEMBER

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11
    Angel on one shoulder, devil on the other...

I personally do not like to see women in combat. Combat boots, M16 rifle and a grenade launcher strapped on a woman is not my idea of being feminine :) I'm a contractor for the Army and I was in Kuwait during the last hiccup when Saddam was threatening an encounter with the U.S. That was the first time I actually saw women in full battle gear...I struggled with that vision for days and even asked a similar question on a discussion board at that time. The sister (POW) over in Iraq looked terrified, and very much out of place...I hope she and the other POWs return home safely.

Now the devil on my left shoulder is saying...certainly women are capable of combat; they wanted to do everything men do, so yeah, they should be right there in the foxhole with the men. As the saying goes...be careful what you ask for :)

I have a certain image that I visualize when think of a woman, and being strapped for combat is definitely not it.

With that said, I don't know if they would be drafted if the draft was reinstated, but based on what is going on in the world today...it's only "fair" that they be included.

4. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Keme...and here I thought Darwin's Theory of Evolution was a joke!

5. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    ZG...your points are well taken...again!

As we can see, there are some women that don't have a problem with being engaged in combat...on a battlefield, that is. And, for those that don't have a problem with it, more power to them. I, for one, do not wish to put my life at risk like that when I know the chances are pretty darn good that I might take a bullet(s) at any time, or like the sister who is a POW...face the cruelty and torture of people who want to kill you.

How many people are fighting in this war and asking themselves, why am I here?

Like you, I also have a mental image of what a woman looks like...not should look like...but looks like. The gear that you described is not my idea either of an outfit I'd like to wear when I greet my man when he comes home at night

However, if I had no choice and was put in a position where I had to defend me and mine against people who want to bring the war to me....I wouldn't hesitate at all to grab a weapon and do what I have to do. And I can do that wearing high heels and pantyhose too.

6. prometheusunbou

prometheusunbou Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Queen :uzi:
    I think that a Woman would be a big distraction for some men, thy would feel more protective of her hence something could
    go very wrong:nono: . God only knows what happens to female POWs not to mention the psychological effect it can take on her
    family. What comes to mind when I think of a female POW is rape and prostitution, of cores the same thing could be done
    to a man but I think not to the extent as a female, Think about THE MOST unholy sex act imaginable and its a good bet she would suffer it. PRAY FOR OUR POW SISTER PRAY HARD FOR HER.:bowdown:
    GOOD POST Q.

7. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I've thought about it

Thinking about any POW is sad enough. Thinking about a female POW is almost unthinkable to me. The 19 year-old woman POW that was rescued yesterday, is reportedly in good shape. At least that's what was on the news last night. This morning, it was reported that she had been shot several times and lay in a hospital with dead bodies of other American soldiers.

Prometheus, like you, I've also wondered whether the women POW's would be subjected to rape while being held captive. I've always thought that one of the worst crimes that can be committed is rape. Just thinking about it makes my head spin.

I have prayed for everyone's safety and hope that the one's that are still alive, are returned safely. For those that have died, there isn't much that we can do for them anymore.

8. shaneak

shaneak Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Support engineer
    Ratings:
    +7
    A woman fighting on the front line @e!! NO. Yea... she should be fighting alright.. On the home front.... You know how many wars we go through just to survive in our own country alone.... And i'm gonna go over to someone else's home land that i know nothing about.. leave my kids that i've birthed and so forth... To risk my life for someone in office who may or may not know me... But will definitely know me pending on the circumstance....

Now that i have voiced my opinion...
    I will contradict myself and say...
    LIVE AND LET LIVE!!!!!!

9. monetg

monetg Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    As far as I'm concerned, we've been on the front lines since we arrived in this country as chattel.
    Althought I enjoy the limited freedoms this country affords would I risk life and limb to defend it? HELL NO!!! Would I pick up arms against a people who hate because I am "American" only to have America hate me because I am Black? HELL NO!
    Should the draft be reinstated I doubt they'd draft women--America is too concerned with it's international image and would not want the world pointing a finger at the country who sent Sally-Sue the farmer's daughter from Buttscratch, Wisconsin, mother of 4 to her death at the hands of God-less infidels who hate all we hold dear. They can't stop women from enlisting but they wouldn't draft........

10. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Buttscratch, WI?

Does the sun shine in Buttscratch? :eek:

monetg, your response leans more toward racism as opposed to gender equality. I can relate to what you wrote. But let me ask you this. Do you think that Black men think similarly when they consider joining the military? And of those that might but join anyway, what do you think the over-riding factor was that led to their decision?

shaneak you provide an interesting response also. Could you elaborate on what you meant when you wrote: "A woman fighting on the front line @e!! NO. Yea... she should be fighting alright.. On the home front....You know how many wars we go through just to survive in our own country alone..."

Did you mean wars fought due to racism or as a woman?