Black Christians : Should women be allowed to preach?

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by Amnat77, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
  2. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Bishop Vashti McKenzie

3. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    No.

1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Women can preach or teach at events or settings that are specifically for women. This is not putting down women at all. Women are fully capable of preaching and teaching but men are to be spiritual leaders in both the church and the home. With this position of leadership comes great responsibility to be the protector and provider for the family and to GIVE HONOR TO THE WOMAN....NEVER ABUSIVE OR DEMEANING.

I understand this is not a popular view among feminist. Amnat77 as far as I know, you are not a Bible believer therefore the motive of this question is probably divisive from jump street. For those who are Bible believers, they should deal with the scripture reference specifically rather than any other line of reasoning. If you don't believe the Bible, the it's a mute point....what is there to preach about? The question is a set up.

4. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    So when hubby is no longer on the scene i.e. dead, then what is the
    woman the mother to do?

5. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Calm down.

Don't call me a feminist, I have never referred to myself as such, and i find it quiet insulting. I'll thank you to refrain from using the term in reference to my person.

I ran across the Bishop in the second link posted online, I liked her message but thought it was a shame some discount her message because of some rule Paul probably made up.

And

I can and I will quote/ speak on the bible as I see fit irrespective of if I am a Christian. If YOU have any problems with that speak the missionaries who shoved teachings down my throat as a child in Africa.

Thank you.

6. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045

Calm down sister, read the post again. There is a period after the word feminist. I was in no way calling you a feminist. I know you better than any other sister on this forum, I don't consider you a feminist...you should know this.

Furthermore, I did not say rather you where Christian or not I was speaking of rather you believe the Bible or not. If you don't believe the Bible, then all preaching from the Bible is meaningless to you other than what you CHOOSE to believe...in that case the Bible is nothing more than any other secular book.

7. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Then she might need to become the provider...Her hubby and her should prepare for this possibility early on. I have life insurance that takes care of that need so that my family is taken care of if I am "no longer on the scene." All families should take this precaution.

This does not effect a woman preaching though.

8. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    She is really good. But in reference to the Bible and Christianity and, in regards to funding democracy in Iraq versus this democracy here in America, and the benefactors of all that money being sent over to Iraq, i feel that is like water under the bridge now, after election.

9. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Do women have the right to preach?

What about; Should women preach?

I wouldn't.

But that is not to say that i don't believe that women should not preach. That is not to say that women don't have the right to preach. I believe that this issue has been exploited and as a result, many gifted women in ministry have suffered persecution.

But again, for me personally, I believe that there is so many other ways that women have the right to take the lead such as being ministers, evangelist, teachers, judges, prophetesses and etc. in Christianity, therefore, I just don't see the benefit for me in seeking to be a preacher over a church body and challenging men who may disagree. I also don't care to challenge men or tell them what they should or should not being doing in regards to certain aspects of MANHOOD from a preacher point-of-counseling.

In fact, when the Bible says [paraphrasing] 'suffer not a women...' that means that the Bible isn't even holding women responsible for the ultimate act. It's holding men accountable if they submit under a women preacher specifically in the capacity of being THE HEAD OVER A CHURCH. The key is THE HEAD and this does not mean that a women cannot be a preacher.

Some women are considered to be Co-pastors of their church and work with their husbands and, they concentrate on helping women. And if their husband dies then they should follow what the Bible says in that regards. Some people want to write their own Bible and, that is their problem with the Creator. If Jesus said that he must go because the Holy Spirit must come and is much stronger than he was, then that means that the Bible words coming from Paul and other disciples are actually coming from the Holy Ghost. Paul gets such a bad rap, but if we consider what he says from a comparitive point-of-view, it should not be so scary. As a women in this world, I just want my human rights protected, whether by the government of 'this or that', is neither here nor there, but, i just want my humans rights protected. If the Church is restricting me of this human right then, maybe it's not the Bible but the people who are at fault.

I believe this whole issue is about the natural existence of men and history. I think we may have become too comfortable with technology. What if there were no guns? I've considered men when they fight. I'm not talking about a staged fight such as a boxing match but, like a street brawl or war on the frontlines with foot soldiers. I will never willingly want to be caught in the middle of that. Now when it comes to my human rights being comprimised, figuratively speaking, I will fight a man like a cornered pit bull. But, I don't think I can really counsel men on certain issues, such as sex, nor do i want to. As a matter of fact, i am repulsed by a man who would think of me as his mother. I tell you if a man wants me to tell him how to be a man, I would. I'm just that aggressive but, I won't respect him afterwards though.

All in all, yes, I believe that women should and can be preachers but it depends on the type of calling.

10. StefiA

StefiA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +215
    I can't say that I have ever had any desire to preach either to a mixed or woman-only group of people. As others have said there ARE a large number of roles that a woman can have in a church without preaching. I don't believe that we should warp the words of the bible to make them fit around what we have already decided for ourselves - as in just say 'oh well Paul was living back before women's rights etc. so he didn't really know what he was on about'. As for feminism I do believe in some of the things it has achieved for women - I believe we should get paid the same amount as a man for the same labor and we should have a say in our government through voting - but I disagree that every role in life should be open to both men and women - personally I just don't think that follows the natural order. If you believe we were all created by God and that God doesn't make mistakes then he created men and women as he thought best - there is a reason why we are different, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally - we are designed to be complementary beings such that as a pair we make a whole - there would be no point in a union of two identical beings. So... after all that long winded ramble.... my answer is NO, women should not preach - whether they've been allowed to BY MAN or not. I know others may well rail against my views, but they are just that, my views, and I'm personally quite happy to live under male stewardship so long as that is from a man giving me HONOR not ABUSE.