Black People Politics : Should women be allowed on the front-lines of combat?

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by MsInterpret, Jan 25, 2013.

?

Should women be allowed to be in front-line combat?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Unsure

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Pentagon chief Panetta to open combat roles to women in US military

by Lolita C. Baldor, Associated Press | January 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Senior defense officials say Pentagon chief Leon Panetta is removing the military’s ban on women serving in combat, opening hundreds of thousands of front-line positions and potentially elite commando jobs after more than a decade at war.
    The groundbreaking move recommended by the Joint Chiefs of Staff overturns a 1994 rule prohibiting women from being assigned to smaller ground combat units. Panetta’s decision gives the military services until January 2016 to seek special exceptions if they believe any positions must remain closed to women.
    A senior military official says the services will develop plans for allowing women to seek the combat positions. Some jobs may open as soon as this year. Assessments for others, such as special operations forces, including Navy SEALS and the Army’s Delta Force, may take longer.
    The official said the military chiefs must report back to Panetta with their initial implementation plans by May 15. The announcement on Panetta’s decision is not expected until Thursday, so the official spoke on condition of anonymity.
    Panetta’s move expands the Pentagon’s action nearly a year ago to open about 14,500 combat positions to women, nearly all of them in the Army. This decision could open more than 230,000 jobs, many in Army and Marine infantry units, to women.
    Full story: http://thegrio.com/2013/01/23/penta...a-opens-combat-roles-to-women-in-us-military/

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Sure. If women want to go in the front lines, let them go on the front lines.

3. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    Only if they can handle a given set of physical requirements

4. mywordsfly

mywordsfly Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +599
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if no one was on the front lines? I'd rather my brothers not be there either coming home with words like "infidels" on the tips of their tongues...there are many reasons war is wrong, for everybody.

Now, legally I suppose we all have the right to do whichever job we choose as long as we are not bringing the team down.

5. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    War is necessary given the reasons behind it. When there is so much evil and perversion in the world people must protect what is there's.

As far as women being on the front lines...I remember I tried joining the army back in the day, however, I would never want to be in combat..
    Maybe other women could handle it...But I think women are too emotional to handle those types of things.

6. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH WOMEN WHO CHOOSE TO BE ON THE FRONT LINE BEING ON THE FRONT LINE.

my problem is that most women think it's just about the fighting...that people don't think they can handle the fighting...and they want to prove that they CAN handle the fighting. BUT THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM. getting into relationships with men on the front line isn't even the problem--we all have sex...that's to be expected. THE PROBLEM IS...there are a lot of countries that doesn't adhere to the code of behavior laid out by the Geneva Convention...as far as how they treat prisoners. now...for those women who choose to be there...are they ready for the brutality that could happen to them, if captured. REMEMBER, these could be men who haven't seen a woman in months. once they get their hand on you, they could, theoretically, do whatever they want to you...including RAPE...and REPEATED rape...and even more RAPE in the most vicious way...until you give them whatever information they want. even then, it may not stop.

REMEMBER the news reporter that was taken prisoner in the middle east a year or so ago...the things she said they did to her. if you're not ready for that to happen to you, you're not ready to be on the front line.

BUT...

if you can handle that, i'm all for you being there. however, you cannot beg to go there...then whine if you get in that situation. having been in the military, no one thinks they're going to be captured. being one of the most powerful militaries in the world, we would like to think that we can take care of our own. however, things happen...and people do get captured...and, yes, sometimes they're tortured. there are places that make guantanomo bay look like a child care facility.

THAT'S THE NATURE OF THE BEAST.

7. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I wish no one would be in a combat roll. I hope women would know better then serve in combat. but if that's their wish, let them.

I would not recommend it to anyone.

8. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Sure, matter of fact they can take my place, I'll be watching on CNN.....

9. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    This is a question we should be asking Queen Nandi, Yaa Asentewa, Queen Nzinga, Queen Amina, Queen Muhmusa, Queen Dzugudini, Winnie Mandela and others. We done got over here and became phussyfied !!! This is life...and unfortunately war or combat is a part of it too.

10. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace

Women have always been on the front line of combat.

When is the last time you seen a man give birth to a warrior?