Black Spirituality Religion : Should We Love Our Enemy?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Cornelius, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Cornelius

Cornelius New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    (TAKEN FROM MY WEBSITE:WWW.ABOUTTHELAMBSBOOKOFLIFE.NET)
    JANUARY 12, 2002

Unto the Church of God and all who are called to be saints of Christ: All Hail: Is it well with thee?: I am well in my love for my neighbor and my enemy. May the Lord our God bless even them that hate me, and seek to persecute me. For all who be in Jesus Christ are persecuted; and glorified by the shedding of their blood for Christ sake.

Surely unless I love my enemy, I cannot please God. But I ask you my brothers and sisters, Where is the logic in loving your enemy? Why should I do good to those that hate me? Let us see: Jesus said, “Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect” (St. Matthew 5:43-48).

So I ask you again: Where is the logic in loving your enemy? Evil exists for a purpose given by God: and good prevails over evil when you do good despite the evil that is done to you. So if I show love to my enemy, will he not be confounded by my actions? So love your enemies, and bless them that curse you, and do good to them that hate you: but know this thing: Wisdom overshadows love (Proverbs 28:26). For Jesus did say, “Whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also” (St. Matthew 5:39). But what should I do if he slaps the other? Should I give him the first cheek to slap again? If I do, where is the logic? When I give all that I can give in meekness and in love, what then should be my recourse, but wisdom overshadowing love. For did not our Lord Jesus say, “Wisdom is justified of her children” (St. Matthew 11:19)?

Let us be wise in all things and we shall understand the word of Christ. For it is written, Jesus walked in Galilee, but would not walk in Jewry, because the Jews sought to kill him (St. John 7:1). Was that not his wisdom overshadowing his love? And did Jesus not say to his disciples: “Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves” (St. Matthew 10:16). What then is the wisdom of a serpent?

Some find it difficult to believe that we should love our enemies: but if we love in wisdom then we will understand the meaning behind the words.

Some believe that Jesus changed the laws of Moses: but he that have an ear let him hear: for I speak to reveal a mystery: for it is written: “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled” (St. Matthew 5:17-18). So according to the testimony of Jesus, not one jot or one title of the law has passed away, because heaven and earth has not passed. So Jesus did not change the law of Moses as some believe, but brought understanding to the law.

Some believe that turning the other cheek is in direct contradiction with an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth (Exodus 21:24). And some believe that Moses taught to love your neighbor, but hate your enemy.

First, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth is relative to justified punishment for breaking the law (reaping what you sow): but turning the other the cheek is forgiving the injustice done to you. So they are not the same. Jesus did not change the law, but brought forth understanding, which brought forth reformation. For example: Under the law a sinner was put to death by the hand of the people; but how could the death of a sinner by the hand of people who are also sinners be justified? Such is why Jesus said, “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her” (St. John 8:7). And when he spoke those words, her accusers left, because of their own conscience.

Now what about loving your enemies, and blessing them that curse you, and doing good to them that hate you, and praying for them that despitefully use you and persecute you? Many believe that those words spoken by Jesus in St. Matthew 5:43-44, were added to the bible by agents of Satan, to maintain ignorance and foolishness among the believers of Christ. But such is not true: for the Holy Bible has not been tampered. Surely Jesus taught the same laws of Moses: For it is written in the book of Moses: “If thou meet thine enemy’s ox or his *** going astray, thou shalt surely bring it back to him again. If thou see the *** of him that hateth thee lying under his burden, and wouldest forbear to help him, thou shalt surely help with him” (Exodus 23:4-5). Hence, Jesus preached according to the law that already was? Thus, perfect is indeed loving your neighbor and your enemy: for it is written: “Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth: Lest the LORD see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him” (Proverbs 24:17-18).

Now the questions becomes, Why would God want us to show love to the devil? Where is the logic? Here is the wisdom: “If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink: For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee” (Proverbs 25:21-22). Thus, the logic of loving your enemy, is to increase his suffering in hell.

I say this thing: Show love to your enemies and those that hate you and they shall not know why: because they see with the eyes of actuality: but you see with the eyes of reality. In reality their future and end is hell: your future and end is heaven. So love your enemy, and bless them that curse you, and do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you: for in doing such you add coals of fire upon their head. Their punishment is made greater; and their days in hell longer. But in all things, let wisdom overshadow love.

But in the Messianic Age, will we love our enemy as we love our neighbor? Nay: for it is written in the law of the Messianic Age, which is found in the Lamb’s book of life, that, we will love our neighbor and hate our enemy as we hate sin. And if a man should say that the Lamb’s book of life I hold in my right hand contradicts the testimony of Jesus; saying, Jesus does not hate; and do not kill. Let us see: For is it not written in red letters, thus being the direct testimony of Jesus Christ: “But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate” (Revelation 2:6). And did he not say: “And I will kill her children with death” (Revelation 2:23). And did he not say, “Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled” (St. Matthew 5:18). Surely then, there shall be new laws in the Messianic Age: and where there is new laws also new Scriptures.

Of little do ye know of Jesus: Remember when he said to his disciples, I have many things to tell you, but you cannot bear them now. These mysteries and secrets have been revealed in the Lamb’s book of life, which is the last will and testament of Christ. But let no man think that the Old Testament and the New Testament shall pass way: for it surely shall not: because the Old Testament is the Father; and the New Testament is the Son; and the Lamb’s book of life is the Holy Ghost.

Now men say that my coming was not prophesied: but my coming was spoken directly from the mouth of Jesus Christ. For it is surely written: “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come” (St. John 16:12-13). Am I not the Spirit of Truth? Have I not guided you into all truth? I am who I am, whether you believe it or not. Those that are resurrected of life, know me: but those that are resurrected of death, hate me: and those resurrected by the Spirit of grace, are called to know me.

It is written: “The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished” (II Peter 2:9). So let us not be tempted to hate our enemy, that we put a stain on our perfection. But let us love our enemy until the day of final judgment, that we may add coals of fire upon his head in the lake of fire. And as it is written, so shall it be: “The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death” (I Corinthians 15:26).

Now of the things I have spoken this Sabbath this is the sum: Love your enemy as you love your neighbor with wisdom overshadowing love when need be. For in our priesthood, we are not called to foolishness, but understanding and wisdom. I pray you understand the meaning behind the wisdom of my words: for I will heap coals of fire upon the head of my enemy with goodness to him; but I am foolish in my priesthood to waste time instructing him. For my enemy is my enemy: such will not change. So I avoid my enemy; but if I encounter him I will give to him as I give to a neighbor; because such is the doing of perfect. But after I give all that I can give, then must wisdom overshadow love. For here is wisdom: There is a limit to forgiveness and mercy; because love has a limit; because wisdom must over shadow love. Hence, there is no limit to how many one can love; but there is a limit to how much one can love.

Should we love our enemy? It is spoken best in the book of Ecclesiastes: “TO everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace” (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8).

May the Lord God Almighty stretch forth His Holy hand and heal the sick and shut-in: and may He comfort those in need with the bosom of His embrace. Amen.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    welcome within cornelius welcome

Amen in prayer that one be heard forth my enemy
    to sit beside me in laughter........i couldn't agree more
    welcome and thank u for sharing ya words of wisdom
    :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

do stay within our home and stop by and hit my guess book
    just hit da bottom of my reply...:D

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Welcome ~ Welcome ~ Welcome

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Welcome Cornelius !

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and wisdom with us.

I have visited your site, it's very nice. Please feel free to
    add it to the Destee Network.

Please make yourself at home.

:heart:

Destee

4. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Kem

point made clear and loud i agree
    u said it all in ya wordz ............:)

5. Anita J

Anita J Active Member MEMBER

poetree-ette
    Nomadic Grounds where the Sounds beat like Bigahda
    Ratings:
    +0
    My thoughts on this...

These are just my thoughts on this but okay...loving who you deem as your "enemy" takes a great deal of understanding and not only love for them, but love for self. My perception of the situation is to see that people are not my enemies. Those that try and hurt me have been hurt themselves and so are acting out in the only way they know because truly, you cannot hurt someone else unless you yourself have known the pain of being hurt. If you were to react to an enemy with the same energy that they came at you with, let refer to it as fire...you would never resolve the issue because fire and fire only creates higher flames. you have to learn how to find the cool sand to put out that fire of theirs, seek to understand them maybe and above all show love as much as possible towards yourself and them. thas just my opinion though.

6. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Anita J

i see yo point and agree coz fire @ fire is a hot tourch
    yet one whom been hurt in such act only act out self
    pain at another person as Kem made a point.............
    ya right sis...... i feel the one so act as evil as an enemy
    towards me is only a mislead or misguided notion that
    allows one to speaketh or lash out...forth i forgive wit
    smiles and love not war nor a fight .....ya point made sis.:cool:

7. Anita J

Anita J Active Member MEMBER

poetree-ette
    Nomadic Grounds where the Sounds beat like Bigahda
    Ratings:
    +0
    that reminds me...

it's like when i used to go to church, the pastor at the pentecostal church i was attending said, to the effect of which I translated into, "You can't have fire in your chest and not expect to get burned". Those right there are some poignant words. i actually used that in a poem that the pastor had inspired. but anyhow, yeah, when you feel hatred in your heart it only holds you down and you might not even realize it, but it does. stay peace and balanced.

8. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Definitely should we love our enemies! The Holy Son commanded it so! :) For our salvation, we should do as He did, for haven't even the faithful, at a point in their lives before their faith or before understanding, played the enemy to the Father and His Way, yet we have been loved by the Father and the Son to be brought to salvation?

So we should not deny our love to others, enemy or friend; it also shows to their fault to continue hating you when you show nothing but love, and it shows the grace of the King being manifested in you. There is no losing when you love your enemy, nothing at all is lost, but much is gained. For belief in the Son, the Holy Lamb sacrificed and resurrected from the dead, only leads to happiness and truth, for He is light to our eyes, and a Shepard on the Way.

9. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    How do you manifest your love for your enemy? Do you tell those who hate you that you love them? What?

10. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    I don't have 'enemies'. I don't have people that I 'hate'.

I have a person or two in my life that I 'don't much care for'...for one reason or another.

Do I love them? Well, yeah. I guess. I love them as human beings in that 'we are the world' general sense.

I wish them well. I don't delight in the downfall of others...no matter how much I can't stand them.
    And...no matter how much I can't stand someone? I can always locate their redeeming qualities.

I can't stand a friend's 'friend'...but if I came upon her walking from a car that ran outta gas? I'd stop and give her a twenty.
    *shrug*

However, I do treat others as they treat me. It takes ugly and underhanded behavior to pull 'hate' feelings out of me.
    I think...if I actually had someone worth calling an 'enemy'?
    Pretty sure that individual went 'above and beyond' to earn the title.
    *laugh*

Love...? Unless you're doing it for your health, I don't see the point.
    There are people on the planet who know right from wrong and commit wrong anyway because they simply don't care. Your leaky 'bleeding heart' won't change this.
    *shrug*

Indifference is preferable.
    Give 'love' to more deserving company.