Black Spirituality Religion : Should we DIVIDE the Spirituality / Religion Forums?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Destee, Jul 20, 2005.

?

Should we DIVIDE the Spirituality / Religion Forums?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Do you think our Religion / Spirituality Forum should be divided?

Please post in the poll above, and leave your comments below.

Hello Family,

First i'd like to thank Brother James for allowing me start this thread. Thank You! :love:

I wanted to be the first to post to it, so as the discussion progresses, you all can know where i currently stand on this issue, and be aware that i'm willing to change.

This topic has come up a few times recently, suggesting that we separate this forum into separate forums, that are focused on particular beliefs. I thought this would be a great way for me to respond, one time to everyone. This also allows each Member (Moderators included) to cast their vote and share their opinion.

My Position: I don't want to do anything that further DIVIDES us.

As a matter of fact, when i first created this particular forum, Religion and Spirituality, i considered making separate, individual forums, for the major religions ... so those that believed the same, could gather together ... but that fell far short of the goal.

The goal is for us to come together, in spite of our differences ... revering our differences ... respecting our differences ... embracing our differences. I believe Religion/Spirituality has been used against us, to keep us divided. I want us to overcome this, and we can't, if we perpetuate the division(s). There is no reason that we should not be able to interact peacefully and respectfully with a Sister or Brother, regardless of their life choices, religion included.

Yes, i realize this is a daunting task. Wars rage throughout the world, people are dying, because of this topic, Religion and Spirituality. Often, one's Religion and Spirituality, is the driving force behind much of what they say and do. In spite of this, what is experienced in this forum ... based on the ugliness we could see ... is peace. I believe we are already experiencing a great success here, and i'm reluctant to change something that i feel is not broke. Yes, we have our share of problems, but i think the best / first solution is to get rid of the problem (Members), not revamp the way we've been living.

Do you know of any other community on the Internet, where people are gathered together talking, with a wide variety of Religions and Spiritual Life Choices represented ... and there is more peace than we have?

It is my hope, that each Member will grow to the point where they can respect another person's life choices, without feeling like it disrespects their own ... learning to agree to disagree. How can we achieve this if we separate? DIVIDING this forum, defeats one of its major purposes.

I do realize that not everyone is going to get to this place (respecting others properly) at the same time. This growth takes place in each Member, in its own time. I was not always here, and i recognize the process that must take place. Those of us who have reached this milestone, must be patient with those who have not. We should not give up on them, but instead continue to encourage them, continue to show them how ... for as long as we can.

To whom much is given, much is required. If you've been given this blessing, the ability to respect others, it is required of you to give what is needed to others, so they too can experience this higher level of living and thinking. Show them by your actions, how it is done.

DIVIDING this forum goes against the goals of this community, and in order for me to be for this, you all must be very convincing!

While i'm pretty set on this, i promise to consider all that you say, and am more than willing to change if convinced that it will be better for us as a whole. There have certainly been times in the life of this community, that the Family has convinced me to do what i did not want to do!

So let the discussion begin ...

Do you think our Religion / Spirituality Forum should be divided?

Please post in the poll above, and leave your comments below.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

2. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I voted yes on the poll.

There is too much debate/division going on about which religion is right and which one is wrong.

Some of the spiritualists have gotten discouraged from sharing their beliefs because of either the intolerance present from Christians or Muslims, or they feel people are ignoring them. This is not good. I for one am very interested in ATRs, and have read most of the posts concerning them. Before Destee, I didn't know much about what goes on with traditional African beliefs... thanks to some of the posters I've gotten a little glimpse of it and am interested enough to pursue one of these religions for my own personal spiritual benefit.

I think dividing the spirituality thread based on which type of religion you are interested would be best. People who feel Christianity is right, wouldn't venture into the spiritualist forum, and in fact should be forbidden to do so if their only purpose is to convert someone. The same goes for other religious beliefs. This is not to say that perhaps there couldn't be a forum where everyone has a common-ground (liberal/unorthodox Christians, Muslims, etc.) ... but again, those who feel their religion is the only one should not post there either.

That's my 2 cents.

3. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

When I first saw this poll I thought that dividing a forum would be a bad Idea, however after reading your brilliant response sistah Karma, I have to agree with you.

You've made some excellent points.

4. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    I voted NO.

This is one of the few times in which I agree with DESTEE, when she stated:

My view is that the purpose here is to unite, and also to learn about one another.

Neither of these goals are accomplished in the slightest, if each little splintered group is sitting in their own little huddles.

Thus, I vote that things stay as they are, and we all find a means to working it all out.

PEACE

5. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hotep,

It is my belief that even scholars can’t agree on things, which are spiritual. To each and every person his or her belief system is the way to gain enlightenment and make it to heaven/paradise. There are many paths to get to the same place of enlightenment. Just because you or I don’t believe in that particular path doesn’t mean that it is the wrong path. Just as you or I believing in it doesn’t makes it the right path. There is one thing that cannot be debated G-d created the Angels and they worship Him. G-d also created us the difference is we worship Him of our own free will. In the borders of free will you are free to decide how it is that you worship Him. In conclusion, I believe it is best to divide this particular form and I voted as such. The scholars here now have clear lines drawn and hopefully this will make it easier to have an effective religious/spiritual dialog. It is time that we as Black Afrikans form a united front and focus wholeheartedly on the issues that are negatively affecting our community.

Ase’
    :spinstar:Soulja:spinstar:

6. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Greetings like this, coming from a Brother who (I think is?) Christian, is why we should not divide.

7. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Good points as well.

If you really think about, dividing the threads will not prohibit members on either side from making contributions in the respective threads.

8. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    I say no just like Destee said we should not find ways to divide ourselves. There have been posts specifically for the practioners of specific faiths in the past. I've read them. Some I commented on and many others I didn't. Whether I agreed or not with what was being said was irrelevant and was not my intent. What I can say is I learned something from what was being shared that day. I believe that is what is most important. The doctrines of religions are not politically correct and will step on toes, hurt feelings and incite anger. This is when we must be in control of ourselves. If we separated ourselves into religious groups what is stopping someone from going into that forum and disrupting the spirit being shared? Dare we say if some is not a Muslim they can't go into the Muslim forum to gain knowledge of Islam or of any religion for that matter. I believe if their are posts and threads that we are not willing to glean from let's treat them like a worship service. You don't see Christians going into Jewish synagogues on the sabbath disrupting their worship service. This could be said about any religious group. We set ourselves up when we create posts that tear down a persons belief system. Faith can not be disputed and gain ground doing so. It is up to the individuals making choices. So what I challenge everyone to do is be more sensitve to the faith of others. We don't have to agree with eachother but we do have to respect eachother. I must admit I had to challenge myself in this area before I became a moderator and I believe I became and still I'm mindful of others. These are just my humble thoughts on this matter......

Peace and Love Family.....

9. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    True, but it should be part of the rules that if you participate in a religious forum with beliefs different than yours that you shouldn't judge and try to convert or disregard what they are saying about their religion. It's one thing to disagree with another spiritual system... it's another thing to say the person is going to hell and you hope they turn to Jesus, Allah, or whomever before it is too late. I don't want to hear that unless I ask a question that is specifically geared to orthodox Christians or Muslims (which I have done before).

10. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    I respect your position, but some interpretations of certain faiths cannot allow for what you are suggesting in this post. You cannot accept another religion as being just another path to spirituality if you truly believe in your heart that your belief system is God's truth etched in stone. This is why I think it is best to have the division. Those who are spiritualists or are looking to learn about this belief system can be free to do so without judgment or ridicule in their separate forum while those that are more orthodox can express their beliefs in their own forum. Doing such, in my opinion, would make things so much more peaceful.