Black History : Should we continue identifying as African-American and Black?

This meme says it all for me...
10427344_1031820283500681_6103280980564383665_n.jpg

I met Catalina Byrd at a community rally to save one of our rec' centers! Girlfriend is as black as the background of the picture above. Would you believe she told me she was not black! She was running for mayor at the time!!! It never ceases to amaze me how those who hate themselves the most want to speak for us. or represent us!!!

I was not really worrying about it. Just trying to share some constructive criticism so as to cut to the chase, and deal with the question I think you were trying to ask. I knew you could be brief and to the point! Your response was just that! :) Have a nice day!!! ;)
I know I put a lot out there, but at least you could have tried answering my question like the rest, instead of ignoring it and criticizing me. There's no progress in that. I was simply trying to build a case to identify as African or African Ancient Egyptian.

I know I put a lot out there, but at least you could have tried answering my question like the rest, instead of ignoring it and criticizing me. There's no progress in that. I was simply trying to build a case to identify as African or African Ancient Egyptian.

I didn't ignore your question, I was trying to understand it without having to read all that Dr. Walter Williams had to say. The question is a good one that keeps popping up. Check out this sites' archives on the topic, and know that the issue was settled long ago by those best qualified to do so, i.e. Afrocentric educators. We're AFRIKANS!!! Help spread the word.

I didn't ignore your question, I was trying to understand it without having to read all that Dr. Walter Williams had to say. The question is a good one that keeps popping up. Check out this sites' archives on the topic, and know that the issue was settled long ago by those best qualified to do so, i.e. Afrocentric educators. We're AFRIKANS!!! Help spread the word.
It doesn't appear that everyone on this thread, including myself, was aware that the issue was supposedly resolved. Maybe we need our memories refreshed every now and then. Dr. Williams, who is just as qualified or more as anybody in this sites archives, doesn't seem to feel this issue is totally resolved, and worthless of discussion. Otherwise he wouldn't have been on the Carl Nelson Show only a couple of weeks ago. I don't think our job is no where near done. There's still many who don't quite understand the necessity in identifying as African, on or off this site. I didn't totally understand how important that was myself until I combined the teachings of Elijah Muhammad, Dr. Amos Wilson, and Dr. Walter Williams.

However, like Dr. Walter Williams, Dr. Kwabena Ashanti, and other highly qualified researchers, I don't think it's beneficial to identify as Black, as I stated in my original post. I know that's going to cause friction, and it may have caused some with you. Anyway, as soon as I thought it was gone, and not too long after I started this very thread, the lightskin /darkskin thing seemed to resurface in the media again, including on the Carl Nelson Show last Wednesday. He had a guess named Dr. Hall, who said some messed up stuff. If you heard that interview, you'd understand why I feel we as a race need to get a way from identifying as Black or by color. I never heard such ignorant remarks coming from a doctor, and the callers. A week before that, Oprah aired, "Light Girls". It looks like the dividers are at it again, giving me more reason to feel we we need to get away from getting too hung up on identifying by color. Again, we need to reclaim are name African. And it's doesn't in my opinion take any doctor or heavy researcher to tell me that. My common sense tells me.

Last edited:
It doesn't appear that everyone on this thread, including myself, was aware that the issue was supposedly resolved. Maybe we need our memories refreshed every now and then. Dr. Williams, who is just as qualified or more as anybody in this sites archives, doesn't seem to feel this issue is totally resolved, and worthless of discussion. Otherwise he wouldn't have been on the Carl Nelson Show only a couple of weeks ago. I don't think our job is no where near done. There's still many who don't quite understand the necessity in identifying as African, on or off this site. I didn't totally understand how important that was myself until I combined the teachings of Elijah Muhammad, Dr. Amos Wilson, and Dr. Walter Williams.

However, like Dr. Walter Williams, Dr. Kwabena Ashanti and other highly qualified researchers, I don't think it's beneficial to identify as Black, as I stated in my original post. I know that's going to cause friction, and it may have caused some with you. Anyway, as soon as I thought it was gone, and not too long after I started this very thread, the lightskin /darkskin thing seemed to resurface in the media again, including on the Carl Nelson Show last Wednesday. He had a guess named Dr. Hall, who said some messed up stuff. If you heard that interview, you'd understand why I feel we as a race need to get a way from identifying as Black or by color. I never heard such ignorant remarks coming from a doctor, and the callers. A week before that, Oprah aired, "Light Girls". It looks like the dividers are at it again, giving me more reason to feel we we need to get away from getting too hung up on identifying by color. Again, we need to reclaim are name African. And it's doesn't in my opinion take any doctor or heavy researcher to tell me that. My common sense tells me.

Thank God for "commonsense"! I don't waste my time trying to convince die hard integrationists like Oprah Winfrey, that she is an Afrikan! The white man has rewarded her very well for running away from, and denying her ethnic identity. Whites understand the power of knowing their history, culture, and ethnic identity. That's why they do all that they can to keep us away from ours. I learned that I am an Afrikan from Malcolm X in 1965. My personal experiences and observations confirmed that and most of what he taught. I don't subscribe to the labels "Afrikan descended", of "Afrikan ancestry", or Afrikan-American which is an oxymoron. Labels preferred by those still running from Afrika, which is like running from your shadow! Lol! It can't be done. Your shadow is always there, even when you can't see it! PS. Maybe Dr. Williams hasn't resolved it in his mind. I couldn't help noticing that with all of his insight, he still has a European name.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back