Black Education / Schools : Should Students Make-Up Snow Day on MLK Holiday?

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by cherryblossom, Jan 14, 2011.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    In your opinion, should students attend school on the MLK Holiday to make-up a "Snow Day" because of this winter's weather?

Groups Criticize Snow Make-Up Days on King Holiday

Published January 14, 2011
    | Associated Press
    -- A decision to use the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday to make up a snow day in Georgia has infuriated civil rights leaders, who say the districts are insulting the civil rights icon in his home state.

Fannin and Gilmer counties in north Georgia and a school district in North Carolina are calling students to class on the federal holiday after school was wiped out for the week because of the epic snowstorm that paralyzed the state.

The superintendents from the districts said they had little choice to start making up for nine days missed because of the foul winter weather this school year. But civil rights leaders said the decision was an insult to King and shows disrespect for the holiday in his name.

"It's an opportunity for people, black and white, to reflect on what King's dream meant for blacks and whites," said Georgia State Conference NAACP President Edward DuBose. "And it's humiliating to hear that school districts want to take a snow day rather than to honor Dr. King's legacy."

The snowstorm forced school officials throughout the state to make tough decisions. Ice as thick as an inch-and-a-half that coated north Georgia roads forced many school administrators to cancel classes for the entire week, as they worried buses would slide on hilly roads.

.......Gilmer County schools superintendent Bryan Dorsey said his administrative team will "be sensitive" to the fact that his district's 4,000 students will be returning to class on Monday, though he said he wasn't sure yet whether teachers would give lessons on King.

COMPLETE ARTICLE HERE: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/14/mlk-snow-make-days-upset-rights-groups/?test=latestnews

2. acitizen

acitizen Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +44
    should students...

i have yet to hear of students making up snow days on[george washington's]birthday,oh silly me that would be disrespectful to the great slave owner...what was i thinking?

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

Should Students Make-Up Snow Day on MLK Holiday?

- yes, but only if you are going to let black leaders , parents and activists come in and speak and teach both black and white children about the man and his legacy for the day in the gym or in the auditorium. Also, show videos of his speeches and sermons until the school day is over...... After that i bet they will never suggest this again...lol

other than that it's just another slap in the face and we should all be all out of cheeks by now.......

By the way it's a federal holiday, so wouldn't forcing students to school on that day be a federal crime? - oh, my bad it's being suggested by white people and the laws don't apply to them in these cases!

4. abstract219

abstract219 ...standing on the shoulders of giants MEMBER

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    Yes.

but also make Washinton, Lincoln, Columbus and all them others "snow make up days."

5. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    Okay I understand that it would not seem right because it's on MLK's bday...but if students were to make up snow day on, lets say, George Washington's bday would you still have a problem with it?

If it were up to me kids wouldn't get any holiday off...They have weekends they don't need to be missing school more school...

Would Martin Luther King want people to take a day off from school just because it is his birthday? Should we only remember his legacy and what he stood for on that day or in Feb? Kids don't appreciate or know the real meaning of a lot of the holidays that they take off for...they're just glad to be out of school...

What's more important education or the issue of having to make up a snow day on MLK day?

6. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    I think this is a good question.

You know I'm still trying to figure out when they made this holiday a federal holiday; or did they?

If it is a federal holiday, then technically, no, it should not be used as a snow make up day.

It seems like only a few years ago, maybe only 2 or 3 years ago, I remember seeing signs on the bank windows listing this very holiday as 'LEE, GRANT & KING DAY'. But I think that because they wanted Black support for the 2008 election, they have now changed these signs to only say, MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY. They are just exploiting us--that's how i see it anyway. They make laws and change them at will to suit their purpose, no matter what. They dub select people as 'heroes' at will and when they get angry, they propagandize the very same 'hero' as being 'a villain' --at will. Go figure.

7. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304

So then, you're teaching them to not acknowledge yet another black man/woman who made a difference in this world.
    We're only talking about a day, not a semester. Let them have the day off.

:cool:

8. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,448
    YYo
    You have to acknowledge a person by taking a day off? Is that how you learn? The admin in my district the black admin didn't know what holiday was coming and didn't realize what day it was. I asked them what their plans were they said nothing....some acknowledgment...why should they take a day off when in reality most ppl don't show acknowldgment. Learn more about it and stay ur butt in class.

9. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    You're basing that on the assumption that all will not do anything, that all are as ignorant as that admin.
    There will be some students who will appreciate what the day represents, and will spend at least some of it remembering what MLK did for his people. Taking one day away from learning about quadradic equations and the efforts of the puritans in this country will hardly deminish their education.
    Again, it's only one day, give it to them and let them spend it the way they wish.

10. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,448
    I don't recall saying everyone...I hate when people don't really read what I'm saying...its so bothering

All is not most, most is not all...some is not none and none is not some...

And I'm not saying one day...I'm saying ALL holidays during the school year....

**whispering**Who's making the assumptions now?

The end....