Black Education / Schools : Should Non-blacks be allowed to attend Historically Black Colleges?

Should non-blacks be allowed to attend Historically Black Colleges?

• Yes

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That was the point though on a number of the application forms there was no OTHER - there were categories for Pacific Islanders and Native Americans and so on, but nothing that allowed anyone who has black/white mix to tick other than Black or White so forcing you to make a decision between the two. Now for me personally if I was in that situation I'd tick black for the simple reasons that I don't identify as white anyway and neither do almost all the other mixed folk I know, plus - I'd be applying to a black college so it would make more sense to go with the flow as it were - what actual difference that would make in someone's experience at the college I don't know as presumably the contents of the form aren't made public. But, if other mixed folk are made to choose in the same way you might end up with a campus looking rather whiter/lighter than the official stats suggest.
On the other hand if the college is short of funds and can gain more if white students attend I can see it being very tempting when any light mixes turn up for an interview to say to them 'ah I see you ticked black, but you're obviously mixed - would you mind redoing the form and ticking white so we can get some more funding?' - now if that was happening you'd have the opposite effect - the stats would show the number of whites in the college rising, but the actual race of the students would be the same as it might have been 20 or 30 years ago
On a side issue it would be interesting to know how a white person would get on in a black college compared to a mixed person who looked white in terms of the different ways they might be treated by staff, students etc

is there such a thing as a "historically black college", or does the consistency of student body make that determination?

the education itself would have to be the black experience, not the "black man in america experience"

all school meet the requirements established by the state

if there was a "historically black" college,

IMO, we would be much more aware of our own surroundings

not to be funny, but it just reminds me of the movie "how high", when the white professor was teaching black history..

education should be making free thinkers..

the obstacle is all of the arts and creative forms of education have been cut from school budgets... they're working on sports also.. in the elementary and middle and high schools..

u cut the arts and sports, the brain activity on the right vibrates really slowly, while the left is going too quickly.. and like a computer i might add..

the left side can't keep up with the other side and causes these results we see

when all information is processed within the logical hemisphere of the brain... if the language is not in 11111 or 00000 or 101010101 the brain can not filter thru or understand it

and therefore, can not understand self

when both sides are working properly there are more answers then yes, no

have/have not

me/you

and no excuses, no blame

see right now i'm at "mac" academy, meaning i'm chilling

cause the streets will give u an education

talk to the black man that's drinkin his breakfast, the homeless dude at p station, the arab cab driver, store owner, the one who runs the "block", the business owners, the community organizations

i don't join, but i do inquire

this is education

u can get an education anywhere, by simply finding time to find out

schools are institutions, and by law, children must go to school, or u have to qualified to home teach them..

an easier way to teach children is by example

instead of letting them play video games and watch tv and eat fast food,

find time

everything i do if for my sons, weather they know or not

they little me, so i don't worry about them because i know the content of my character, and the nature of my goddess

this world is so hard to "watch"

and it is even more hard to "watch" people you love insist on destruction of self

GOD is the teacher, if u want an "education"

school is a validation if u want a receipt, for paying for that which should be common knowledge, and not supreme mathematics or the like

and I am a college graduate, however, we offer something to schools and not the other way around

one professor actually thanked me for being in his class (well more then one),

said i brought a unique and fresh opinion, and it made it a pleasure for him because he was so use to all of the same opinions

man i'll debate equal opportunity all day....

just some thoughts...........

is there such a thing as a "historically black college", or does the consistency of student body make that determination?

the education itself would have to be the black experience, not the "black man in america experience"

all school meet the requirements established by the state

if there was a "historically black" college,

IMO, we would be much more aware of our own surroundings

not to be funny, but it just reminds me of the movie "how high", when the white professor was teaching black history..

education should be making free thinkers..

the obstacle is all of the arts and creative forms of education have been cut from school budgets... they're working on sports also.. in the elementary and middle and high schools..

u cut the arts and sports, the brain activity on the right vibrates really slowly, while the left is going too quickly.. and like a computer i might add..

the left side can't keep up with the other side and causes these results we see

when all information is processed within the logical hemisphere of the brain... if the language is not in 11111 or 00000 or 101010101 the brain can not filter thru or understand it

and therefore, can not understand self

when both sides are working properly there are more answers then yes, no

have/have not

me/you

and no excuses, no blame

see right now i'm at "mac" academy, meaning i'm chilling

cause the streets will give u an education

talk to the black man that's drinkin his breakfast, the homeless dude at p station, the arab cab driver, store owner, the one who runs the "block", the business owners, the community organizations

i don't join, but i do inquire

this is education

u can get an education anywhere, by simply finding time to find out

schools are institutions, and by law, children must go to school, or u have to qualified to home teach them..

an easier way to teach children is by example

instead of letting them play video games and watch tv and eat fast food,

find time

everything i do if for my sons, weather they know or not

they little me, so i don't worry about them because i know the content of my character, and the nature of my goddess

this world is so hard to "watch"

and it is even more hard to "watch" people you love insist on destruction of self

GOD is the teacher, if u want an "education"

school is a validation if u want a receipt, for paying for that which should be common knowledge, and not supreme mathematics or the like

and I am a college graduate, however, we offer something to schools and not the other way around

one professor actually thanked me for being in his class (well more then one),

said i brought a unique and fresh opinion, and it made it a pleasure for him because he was so use to all of the same opinions

man i'll debate equal opportunity all day....

just some thoughts...........

:10500: what in da??????????? i'll rather sit in class or go to school about the ''BLACK MAN EXPERIENCE'' SINCE I CAME FROM A BLACK MAN THAN ANYTHING ELSE!!!

1. Should non-blacks be allowed to teach at historically black colleges?

YES!

2. Should Black Studies be replaced with White Studies?

NO! They should not be replaced. I am not sure what White studies is. The White people don't call it that even if it is all about their delusions about themselves.

But I think there should be a course where students are taught that Henry Ford donated money to the NAZI party in the 1920s and that is probably why Hitler gave him the highest award that could be given to a non-German in 1938.

Now suppose Ford had not donated that money and Hitler had never risen to power?

http://www.reformed-theology.org/html/books/wall_street/chapter_06.htm

The proper kind of White studies might be more useful to Blacks than Black studies.

But you must remeber the Chinese studies:
If you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles... if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle. - Sun Tzu
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Art_of_War

um

Should non-blacks be allowed to attend Historically Black Colleges?

More non-black students attending historically black colleges
By Samieh Shalash, sshalash@dailypress.com

HAMPTON —
— Elizabeth Hallaren, a 20-year-old white woman, says she is beginning to understand what it's like to be a minority.

As a fourth-year nursing student at Hampton University, she is part of an increasing number of non-black students attending historically black colleges and universities such as HU. Enrollment trends have diversified greatly over the last two decades at traditionally black colleges, experts say.

Hallaren's reason for attending HU meshes with why many say more non-black students are enrolling: It's practical.

A Newport News resident, Hallaren said she decided to attend nearby HU for its proximity, a tuition-paid scholarship, and its availability of a nursing program.

"I can't say that I was really looking forward to being in a place where I really stuck out too much," Hallaren said. "But at the same time, I wasn't upset about it. I was just a little nervous at first."

A 2009 report by the Thurgood Marshall College Fund, which represents almost half of the nation's 105 historically black colleges, says that the proportion of Hispanic, Asian, and multi-ethnic students enrolled in its member institutions jumped from 6 percent to 8 percent of the student population from 1986 to 2006.

There are many possible reasons for the increase, says Trish Williams, dean of the W.E.B. Du Bois College House at the University of Pennsylvania. Du Bois was established in 1972 as a residential program for black students but gradually become home to more and more non-blacks, she said.

White and other non-black students have discovered they can get a good education at historically black colleges for a lot less than at some predominately white schools, Williams said. And many HBCUs actively recruit whites in order to receive federal funding, she added.

"Young people are different from their parents and grandparents," Williams said. "They are not afraid of experiencing diversity. In fact, many of them demand it."

READ MORE: http://www.dailypress.com/news/hamp...nws-cp-hu-minorities-20101005,0,6036210.story

I say yeah. No problem with them attending since southern schools in particular are no longer segregated. Since increasing numbers of Black students are attending predominantly white schools at least increasing non-white student population at HBCUs will keep some schools from closing due to declining enrollment.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back