Black Christians : Should little children be baptized?

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by MsInterpret, Oct 15, 2012.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Don't bring your negative Christian views and opinions into this thread...this is not for that.

So my daughter's two younger half brothers were baptized yesterday at their church. One is 7 and the other is 6. When her dad told me that this was going to take place, I just held my tongue...
    I just spoke with my mother and asked if she knew if my daughter (who is 9) said to her about anything of her getting baptized. And my mom said that, for her Christian Camp Registration form her dad had filled it out and it said she was. But my daughter claims she wasn't.
    Now here is where I have the problem...if my daughter was indeed baptized, and she said she wasn't, then the whole baptism was in vain....Why? Because in order for one to be baptized they need to understand why they are being baptized.
    Children are told why, but I hardly doubt the little ones can really grasp the full understanding...mainly they are doing it because they were influenced by their parents or church to do it.
    I remember I was baptized at the age of 10, and I was doing it because all my friends were doing it and the youth pastors said it was what we needed to do. (understandable so).
    But I felt I wasn't doing it with intentions of what God wanted me to do, and was doing more along the lines of I'm being told too.

What is your take on this?

2. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    I pondered on this question over the years. My church baptised children. They are many who question the wisdom of this. What I wonder is IF children are interested in the Lord, perhaps telling them to wait may not be a good thing. They are cases in the 1800's where young men and women at an early age did not swerve from their belief after they got baptised at a young age. I believe one would be able to tell if a child is ready. Since as a parent you will be able to see the kind of interest that a child has. I think a parent can see if a child is a follower and also if that child is one who is steadfast and is not easily led. I look at the young kings in the bible.. They obviously were guided in their roles, and I believe this is what we as parents must do...GUIDE and DIRECT the young. Stimulate their interest and follow it up..not forcing them...but leading in a nurturing way. We must be careful not to give young children the idea that Christianity is JUST for older people. Ecclsiastes state that children should remember their creator in the days of their youth.

3. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    It depends on what your christain sect practices. Some believe that baptism should not occur until the child becomes aware and is capable of making a decision or is knowlegable about the religion. Others would dunk the kid from the womb

4. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +877
    Greetings Sister MsInterpret!

This is a concern with mixed feelings in the Body and a challenging decision in co-parenting! The first question that comes to mind is--When does a person become accountable to God for their conduct? There is no set age to when a child is ready to commit for maturity and wisdom varies as we saw with the ministry of Jesus, he was wise beyond His years. The best person to assert when your daughter is ready, really is you:)

However, it is safe to say that one would have to be capable to assume the responsibilities of discipleship(Luke 14:26). Especially since our union with Christ is related to a marriage, that's serious business (Rom. 7:4). Even if a child sincerely asks to be baptized, that conversation needs to be handled in compassion and love and not condemnation; with instruction for the need of preparation before baptismal. This picture can be painted as a joy it is for her to pray, read or be read the bible and have a time carved out for her to ask spiritual questions.

In the meantime, I would suggest she be dedicated (if not already). This is largely for you as her mother, making a commitment to God to raise her in the ways of God and not your own will (Samuel 1:11).

Blessings:heart:

5. Fieldpea

Fieldpea Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +778

I remember I was baptized at the age of 10, and I was doing it because all my friends were doing it and the youth pastors said it was what we needed to do. (understandable so).
    But I felt I wasn't doing it with intentions of what God wanted me to do, and was doing more along the lines of I'm being told too.

I was around 9 years old, and the only thing it meant to me (commitment of ANY sort) was that I had to climb down some stairs into about 4 and a half feet of filthy, oily skimmed looking water that had dead gnats floating in it.....and, I had to wear one of my dad's white t-shirts over my blouse.....and some strange man from another church entirely (a pastor, I guess)....called out loud some things I did NOT understand--and then he dunked me into that dirty water, and lost his grip on the back of my head, so that the only grip he had on me was at my waist, until he lurched over me and grabbed hold of my dad's t-shirt to keep me from sinking completely to the bottom of that water.

I was too young. At the time, all it left me feeling was *scared and upset, too*. There was no spiritual meaning, whatsoever, that I even knew how to apply to what had just happened to me.

In hindsight, I'm just glad that I didn't open my mouth to cry out--especially when my feet went out from under me--because the water was that dirty.

MsInterpret? If the children aren't taught anything (like I wasn't) about what baptism is supposed to mean in their spiritual life, then it's just something a child experiences as 'another something' the folks at church tell them they've got to do. No more, no less.

One Love, and PEACE

6. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Nothing wrong with early and later. A friend of mine has been baptized twice and he said that it has renewed his soul. He believes he has got a second chance now too.