Black People : Should knowledge be free to all?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Keita Kenyatta, Aug 25, 2005.

?

SHOULD KNOWLEDGE BE FREELY GIVEN TO ALL?

1. YES

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. NO

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. IT SHOULD BE EARNED

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    DO YOU THINK THAT KNOWLEDGE SHOULD BE FREELY GIVEN TO EVERYBODY?
    The Bible, the Masons, and even the system of our ancestors has a take on this, what is yours? I'm asking this question due to my observation of this site and many others in terms of what's going on and why.

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think sometimes we need to pick and choose who we spend our time giving knowledge to. I think it should be accessable to all through books and research, but we should only spend our time giving knowledge to people who truly want to learn.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    it should be given freely except black folks don't seem to appreciate anything that is given freely.

4. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    DON'T FORGET TO CHECK THE POLL ABOVE, ASANTE SANA (THANK YOU VERY MUCH).

HETEP! (PEACE)

5. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I agree james. We seem to have a hard time wanting to change behavior, mentality and lifestyles that are obviously hurting us. Some people don't want to learn anything, so trying to inform them or teach them (when they already have their mind made up that they don't want to learn or possibly change their behavior) is pointless.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Everything costs something. There is very little (if anything) in life, that is free.

Many are willing to take advantage of whatever they can, without financially contributing, but that does not mean it's free. Somebody pays for them to have that opportunity.

To answer your question, knowledge can't be given freely, as it has cost the person who's sharing, as they had to have invested time, energy, and oftentimes money, to gain that knowledge. Even if the person doesn't "charge" for the knowledge, it costs them to give it ... if nothing else ... their time and the investment they made in themselves to gain that knowledge.

For the person who wants knowledge at no cost ... they are in dire need of more knowledge than they're aware of.

Everything costs something.

They say salvation is free, but from what i've heard, you gotta give up something even for that.

:heart:

Destee

7. sonnee01

sonnee01 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29
    Very well said Sister Destee!

8. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Knowledge, Wisdom, and Understanding are three of probably the strongest tools handed down from God. They are only effective depending on how we use them.

CD

9. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    To answer your question, I would have to say it depends on what type of knowledge your talking about.

I think that before we share knowledge with others, specifically very sensitive information, we have to discern what the repercussions are behind divulging information.

Some knowledge must be earned and a person must show they have the character to warrant being given such information.

Knowledge is power, and power like knowledge often comes at a cost.

10. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    hey! not fair!!

""free" as in "speech", or "free" as in "beer""?

how you gonna ask a question and then give the answer in your sig??

the (current) title of the thread, and the poll question, are two different things:

knowledge is free to any. knowledge can't be "given". it can only be shared. knowledge is "free" for the taking! it's out there, just have to be willing to accept it and see it for what it is!

[rant mode=ON!]
    i sure will be glad when the race grows up and recognizes the mental illness that is "capitalism"!! my head is starting to hurt from seeing the damage to the Spirit that the answers so far to this question are showing!! and that damage is the fervor in this seeming "religious conviction" around the "Absolute Sanctity of Capitalism". that is the root fiction that keeps this whole mess just continuing!!

who put the stuff in the ground? where did the ability to get that stuff out of the ground come from? where did the tool to figure out how to implement that ability come from? who paid for all that? when they "get paid", i reckon it will be ok for everybody else to "get paid"? so what's with this money thing?

oh, my head hurts trying to figure out how to say this. "money" is that middle man between doing the work that needs to be done to eat, and being able to eat. this whole thing about doing the work to get the money to eat is a big part of why the world is in the mess it is in. one works the ground and puts the fruits in one's mouth. this working the ground and selling it to someone that puts it on a shelf so you can pay them to be eat it??? without money, the stuff is still in the ground. the machines and tools are still there to process the stuff. take the money out of the game and nothing changes: that switch can still be thrown; that ooze can still be pumped out of the ground; them wheels will still roll. the "motivation" should be that one can then go and get the food eat it. because of this false "resource shortage" that folks that grew up in an environment where there wasn't much more than ice has foisted off on a world where the resources are just growing on trees all by themselves all over everywhere, we've got a world where some folks hoard resources, some folks are denied resources, some folks are so denied resources that they can't generate the ability to help the rest of us process all these resources that are being so mismanaged and squandered that some folks are claiming are "in short supply". vicious cycle.

never mind. it can't really be seen from inside the box. it's also very tricky explaining the necessity of a paradigm shift using the tools (language) of the paradigm that needs shifting!