Black Women : Should Gender Matter?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Matt4Jack, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Matt4Jack

Matt4Jack Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I am highly upset and insulted. A gay man who dresses and acts like a woman got cast in a role in "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When The Rainbow Is Enuf", by NTZOKE SHANGE. My question is; do you think that gender specific roles should be portrayed by that particular gender?

2. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    Of course they should.

I would not be all upset though....I simply would not watch a movie if the casting or storyline wasnt gonna make sense becuase of casting screw ups.

3. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    as long as there is no deceiption nvolved, the information is made public n an obvious manner, i don't hv a prob w it. the role shld b played by whomeva can best convey the characterization the director / author wishes to b conveyed.

i'm 4 str8 up gender neutral competition, & may the best performance win!

:cool:

4. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, y'all know that around the world in various cultures and countries, traditionally, woemn were not allowed on the stage, and their roles in plays were performed by young boys.... Such as Kabuki theater in Japan.... Having that said, in light of this being the 21st century, where we have men writing books from women's points of view and vice versa....

Wait, what was I trying to say?

Oh, yeah, I like my men to be MEN.... Then again, if any of y'all like those plays by what's his name... Tyler Perry..... He shole plays a good woman!

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    You know what scares me the most is that this is a serious question!

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,688
    :wave: Hello and Welcome Matt4Jack :wave:

This thread reminds me of a program i saw on television some time ago ... i believe it was the reality program ... "Top Model hosted by Naomi Campbell" ... yall know the one where the women compete to be the last model standing at the end of the show. Okay. Well, during one of the episodes the women had to do a catwalk competition ... who do you think was their trainer?! ... a Black gay man ... yes yall ... they said he is the very best in the industry and was there to get the best performance out of each of these ladies ... he was there to teach women how to walk and twist and turn like women ... i don't know ... but sump'n 'bout that just didn't seem rite ... what does it say about women, when men are billed as "top of the game at being women" ... how would Brothers feel if a woman was billed as "top man" because she actually had all the best qualities of being a man ... so much so that she was hired to teach yall how to be men!!?!

i don't know ... i'm just confuzzled

but the Brother did know his stuff and is obviously gett'n paid big bucks for know'n how to be a woman ... better than women know how to be women ... i mean, he was teaching women how to be women!

okay ... i'm moe confuzzled than befoe ... let me stop.

Matt4Jack ... please make yourself at home, because you are ... and if you really like it here, join us as a Premium Member too!

:heart:

Destee

7. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    Matt...I am curious...where was this production of "colored girls" being done?
    sister destee , not naomi campbell...it's tyra bank's show...

the only question for me is....did you forget the gender and get to the words..and the emotional underpinnings of the poetry?

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,688
    lol ... see how much i know ... k ... thank you Sister Deepy ... :look:

:heart:

Destee

9. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,324
    Gender specific roles should be portrayed by the gender specified; otherwise causes confusion which isn't well.

It's best for men and women to never step over the line into that which is best done by one gender or the other; some get caught up in equality so much, they believe becoming the other gender makes them equal to them, but it doesn't.

It only makes you someone desperately trying to have what the other was born with to start(I mean more than transgenders).

Men do not have the feelings of a woman, though he can have the same feelings, he just doesn't show them the same, nor does he experience the world through same; and the same be vice versa for women to men.

I think more need to be happy with what they are given and can do, rather than wanting that which another would do much better. It doesn't mean women are better, but that as a woman, no man can do that better.