Black Parenting : Should children be required to wear uniforms to school?

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by MsInterpret, Mar 28, 2011.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    Should children be required to wear uniforms? WHY OR WHY NOT?

[​IMG]
    Children in Nigeria in school uniforms

In South Africa all schools, public and private have the students wear uniforms. Whereas, here in the US, there are very few schools which have a uniform policy. However, there is a dress-code policy.

The concept of school uniform is believed to serve two purposes - to instill a sense of belonging and pride in the school and also to eliminate any idea of competition in the matter of personal dress. Source: http://www.cesla.org/uniforms.html

But is having uniforms making the education more black and white (not literally), and taking away the child's identity?

I asked some junior high students how they felt if our district was to suddenly go uniform. And all of them rejected the idea feeling that their clothes represented them and that if they were to dress alike they would feel like robots.

Some of these students come to school with jeans sagging, short skirts, different colored hair ranging from all the colors in the rainbow, ripped pants, etc.

2. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    I don't have a problem with it.

In fact.., I support it.

3. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    i support it...i had a dress code in HS & even in college since i attend a christian university....fashion need not be part of the drama teens deal with...plus it saves some $

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Having a "dress code" is fine for some schools/school districts.

IMO, if any school has children of lower income who are mercilessly ridiculed for their lack in fashionable attire/shoes and children who are beat up for their attire...having their shoes snatched off their feet and clothes, literally, taken off their backs, then I say, YES TO UNIFORMS!

AND, it would help alla that "saggin" as well.

5. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I would support it as well.

Awww, look at em! They're looking sharp in their uniforms!

:heart:

6. Light

Light Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +128
    I dont know I just want to ask the children what are their commentz...

7. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    How much of the competition is silliness from European culture?

White people play status games over cars, over computers, over stereo equipment.

Teach the kids the clothes aren't important in the school environment. Let them wear whatever they want and have the teachers ridicule the stylish kids wasting lots of money on clothes. But if the teachers are being clothes horses what will that communicate to the kids?

um

8. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    And black people don't do this? I know a lot of black folks who "play status" with cars, money and women...

9. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    My kids have to wear uniforms. Most of the school districts in the Dallas/Ft Worth area now require kids to wear uniforms. There are pros and cons to it IMO. I think the school district hoped to stop kids from wearing clothes that were distracting to other students (tight short clothing) however all the kids do now is accessorize to death lol. They wear bright colored jewelry, belts and shoes to stand out. Also here at certain times of the year it is hard to find the required uniform shirts and pants. The uniforms get more expensive every year. When they first implemented the uniform dress code the pants and shirts were not too costly. However since most districts here require them now they have jacked the price up on them little by little each year. Even though the uniforms are more expensive I still favor them.

When I was in school we sometimes got distracted by who was wearing what and how much that designer outfit cost. If you didn't have on expensive clothes you got laughed at.

10. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +879
    I agree with many of the comments that highlight uniforms taking away from status, inappropriate dressing i.e. saggin, tight fitting, and it is cheaper on my pockets. The downside is that I notice the uniform requirements are spreading to what color jacket and backpack can be worn and wonder what next...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. school children in black communities