Black Parenting : Should children be required to wear uniforms to school?

MsInterpret

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 21, 2007
Washington
Should children be required to wear uniforms? WHY OR WHY NOT?

800px-Nigeria_students.jpg

Children in Nigeria in school uniforms

In South Africa all schools, public and private have the students wear uniforms. Whereas, here in the US, there are very few schools which have a uniform policy. However, there is a dress-code policy.

The concept of school uniform is believed to serve two purposes - to instill a sense of belonging and pride in the school and also to eliminate any idea of competition in the matter of personal dress. Source: http://www.cesla.org/uniforms.html

But is having uniforms making the education more black and white (not literally), and taking away the child's identity?

I asked some junior high students how they felt if our district was to suddenly go uniform. And all of them rejected the idea feeling that their clothes represented them and that if they were to dress alike they would feel like robots.

Some of these students come to school with jeans sagging, short skirts, different colored hair ranging from all the colors in the rainbow, ripped pants, etc.

Mikha'el

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 18, 2009
Somewhere
Occupation
Student
i support it...i had a dress code in HS & even in college since i attend a christian university....fashion need not be part of the drama teens deal with...plus it saves some $

cherryblossom

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 28, 2009
Having a "dress code" is fine for some schools/school districts.

IMO, if any school has children of lower income who are mercilessly ridiculed for their lack in fashionable attire/shoes and children who are beat up for their attire...having their shoes snatched off their feet and clothes, literally, taken off their backs, then I say, YES TO UNIFORMS!

AND, it would help alla that "saggin" as well.

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Ms Drea's profile.
Hi My Dear Darling Sister! :kiss: :love: :kiss:
Destee wrote on beautifulblkw's profile.
Hi Sister!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave: So good to see you! Thanks for coming home! YAAAAAY! :yaay: Much Love and Peace! :love:
Massey Ferguson Tractors and farm implements for Sale in Africa especially in Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Ghana, Nigeria and many more. Our tractor company in Africa having huge stock of brand new tractors and farm implements for tractor dealers.
sekou kasimu wrote on ZIbijah's profile.
Have you read "The Iceman Inheritance: Prehistoric Origins of Western Man's Racism, Sexism, and Aggression"?
$1 Billion Black dollars in 30 days