Black People : Should Black people be for multiculturalism?

Hi everyone. Here comes another one of my questions about life and blah, blah, blah.

Ever since I was a kid I've always liked the thought of multiculturalism. Whenever I had an idea for a movie, tv show or comic book, I always imagined the characters being very diverse. Kinda like how Captain Planet was but less corny. But now I think that maybe it's not a good idea. I feel like maybe I'm trying to latch onto other people's culture or perhaps someone will accuse me of such. And maybe there's something not-so-kosher about multiculturalism that I don't know. Please enlighten me.
Of course we should be for multiculturalism. Our country is a multi-ethnic, multiracial, multiculatural country. The people of America borrow from each other in music, food, language, religious practices, clothing, etc.

I was and am a big fan of superhero entertainment. Today characters who were formerly white are being re-introduced as a people of color or their next generation personification is presented as a person of color. (I'm not a fan of Samuel L. Jackson. In fact, I think he's a deadful actor, but dude was sure born to play Nick Fury.) That has brought the genre into the 21st century and broadens its appeal.

Multiculturalism is definitely good for the country.

No, black folk should not be for multiculturalism, for so
often in comes at the dismay of black folk's culture.

Particularly in education. We learn more about everybody else
and very little to nothing about ourselves. In many colleges, they
are doing away with some form of africana studies, while other
cultural studies are allowed to maintain.

Some hbcu's, I am told, are making black studies an elective and
not a requirement for obtaining a degree.

I posted a story somewhere about teachers in d.c. being fired from
howard univ's junior high school, for teaching afrikan studies.

As dr. clarke tells us, "for your own survival, take from the intellectual
[and I'll add cultural], heritage of the whole would, but always start with
your own". So sure, be abreast of other cultures, so long as it does not
compromise/get in the way of you learning and being first and formost
about your own culture.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or if I didn't make myself clear the first time.
Google multiculturalism and ask yourself if this is something that black people should be for.
It's really that simple.
i asked what YOU were asking. is that a problem?

We don't have a choice in the matter, actually. You may want to re-think the understanding you are operating with ... As you told jamesfrmphilly, I googled it:

• multiculturalism definition. The view that the various cultures in a society merit equal respect and scholarly interest. It became a significant force in American society in the 1970s and 1980s as African-Americans, Latinos, and other ethnic groups explored their own history.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mul...l5.5084j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

I didn't say it was bad. I'm just looking for opinions.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back