Black Parenting : Should babies stay with mothers who are incarcerated?

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by MsInterpret, Apr 12, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Mara Schiavocampo Reports: Mothers behind bars

By Mara Schiavocampo

11:00 AM on 04/12/2010

Not only is the Ohio Reformatory for Women considered the oldest women's prison in Ohio, it is the state's largest female prison with 2,500 inmates. In a lot of ways it's exactly what you'd expect.

And then, there's the unexpected. Ohio's prison is also home to those found guilty of no crime -- nine babies. Their mothers are inmates.

In most cases, babies born in prison are whisked away within hours, to relatives or foster care, but at this facility the infants move in with mom, behind bars.

When Takaya Patterson came to the reformatory she was six months pregnant and scared. She was locked up on a theft charge, and had left behind her two-year-old daughter. She thought she'd have to part with the baby she was carrying next.

"I didn't know what was going to happen, if my child was going to go to foster care," said Patterson.

But at the Ohio facility, Patterson had access to the prison nursery program, allowing non-violent offenders with short sentences to raise their newborns until they're one year old in a unit isolated from the general population. Now, Takaya's cellmate is seven-month-old son Takeem.

"I think babies do belong with their mothers whether it's in prison or not," continues Patterson.

Prison officials agree, saying the goal of the nursery is to help the babies by not depriving them of a parent. The program provides everything these mothers need such as clothes and shoes, food and formula, toys and TV. READ MORE

QUESTION:

Should babies stay with their mothers behind bars?

2. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    I dont see why not...

I would guess it depends on the nature of the crime and how well rehabilitated the Mother is...

besides, they went half on bringing the baby here, it really is their responsibility to shoulder.

The pob I like to know is what is the cut off date that the child is able to continue seeing their Mother, psychologically it will probally be ok for both..

:10500:

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    wow I have mix emotions on this one right now !

4. Precise Allah

Precise Allah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Peacemaker
    Ratings:
    +764
    Peace,

NO! Absolutely not. I can see it now, the prison bully woman (butch) threatens the mother's baby if she don't do what she wants. Prison is not an environment for babies and children which is why they don't put minors there.

Peace
    Precise

5. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Precise Allah.

They do allow some mothers to keep there babies in these prisons with them. That is the issue.

6. Precise Allah

Precise Allah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Peacemaker
    Ratings:
    +764
    Peace,

Indeed. I saw that. I disagree with the idea entirely. They ain't doing nothing but getting a head start on the next generation of institutionalized head cases. For those who've done their homework they'll know that in all likelihood there will be a disproportionate amount of original people in that mix.

Peace

7. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Very true.

The most kids (who are not behind bars w/ the mother) who have parents that are incarcerated are more likely to find their selves following the same footsteps as the parent.

And I also agree, that it is NOT safe at all.

They are institutionalized from birth.

8. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    That may be true, but

who or what if the extended family of the locked up mother is not providing those same services and proximity to the mother?.

Until the community unites across 50 nations and sets up institutions to provide the nurturing , care and visitation rights, then the state must suffice.

Like anything else it's up to what we decide to unite to do

9. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    To the question, yes they should be allowed to stay with their mothers.
    I love the idea and accept it fully.
    I've had ideas on it before I was presented with it, as I know many people have been incarcerated or jailed, no exception to yours truly.
    There should be institutional systems that allow this.
    My only prob is that I would like to see a benefit like this to men. I'm thinking on how that would work.

There was article on how it's done in Australia that served as a great model. They don't have jail cells, but they were actually houses or dorms where the women stay with their children up to about age 5 or so i think. They were imprisoned - with a high security wall and security guards and such. The women took care of each part of their housing unit as a real house, cooked for themselves and their kids, bathe whenever they like, socialized with each other, babysat each other's kids, attended educational and parenting classes in the day, and kept their own unit clean and sanitary. It's serving the women and the children well and there aren't as many violent or aggressive disruptions as one would think, if any. Ofcourse anyone thought to be a harmful to themselves, their children, or anyone else wouldn't be there.

A quick search didn't reveal the Australian article but if i find it I will post it.

As prisons are going more privatized, I'd love to see something like this built in the United States. All we need is one that is the model of success and I'm sure it would spread from there.

10. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    How would you think something like babies incarcerated benefiting their mother?

Do you think that having a baby or child behind bars with their mother is instilling a negative mindset into too them prematurely?

Do you think it will increase the youth's chances of being incarcerated?

What benefits do you see happening with the men?