Jails / Prisons : Should all prisons be abolished?

African_Prince

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 1, 2005
I'm beginning to doubt the ability of the prison system to rehabilitate convicts and reforming the prison system might not be enough, at least not as a long-term, end goal. I have mixed feelings on the subject because the prospect of going to such a scary place may help to deter crime a lot better than the prospect of being put on house arrest, made to perform community service and to see a psychologist would.

What do you think? Is the eventual abolition of prison a practical idea?

I am leaning towards 'yes' but I'd like to hear more about the subject. Rehabilitating criminals (and thus, helping to deter more crime) is more important than punishing people, I think. Does prison do this? Society takes hardened criminals (and people like sex workers and drug addicts who haven't harmed anyone) and locks them up in a building with other hardened, brutalized criminals and expects them to learn compassion in this kind of an environment. Surviving prison requires single-mindedness, aggression and an insensitivity to the feelings and self-interests of others, traits that got them locked up to begin with. Would it be a stretch to equate the prison system to 21st century slavery?

In the Spirit of Sankofa!

I'm beginning to doubt the ability of the prison system to rehabilitate convicts and reforming the prison system might not be enough, at least not as a long-term, end goal. I have mixed feelings on the subject because the prospect of going to such a scary place may help to deter crime a lot better than the prospect of being put on house arrest, made to perform community service and to see a psychologist would.

I am leaning towards 'yes' but I'd like to hear more about the subject. Rehabilitating criminals (and thus, helping to deter more crime) is more important than punishing people, I think. Does prison do this? Society takes hardened criminals (and people like sex workers and drug addicts who haven't harmed anyone) and locks them up in a building with other hardened, brutalized criminals and expects them to learn compassion in this kind of an environment. Surviving prison requires single-mindedness, aggression and an insensitivity to the feelings and self-interests of others, traits that got them locked up to begin with. Would it be a stretch to equate the prison system to 21st century slavery?

African_Prince,

Good to see you back brother! Your thoughts are on point! This may sound strange to you, it may even be hilarious, but if this system of justice, an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, and life for life, had been implemented, or if it is implemented, maybe the need for penal systems would have been eradicated, or could be eradicated. Presently, the prison system, as we know it, is a money maker for the establishment, modern slavery, if you will. Afterall, if abolished, what would replace it?

We don't need prisons. I think we should take it back to the old days, which is pretty much still the way it is done in the Islamic World and in Traditional Africa.

In the Islamic World, if you steal, they don't send you to prison. They cut your hand off. If you kill, you get beheaded.

With consequences like that, people are a lot less likely to do any crime.

We don't need prisons. I think we should take it back to the old days, which is pretty much still the way it is done in the Islamic World and in Traditional Africa.

In the Islamic World, if you steal, they don't send you to prison. They cut your hand off. If you kill, you get beheaded.

With consequences like that, people are a lot less likely to do any crime.

I don't like the cutting off of limbs, I like a bamboo public beating...lol...

as for murder you could be right.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back