Pan Africanism : should African Americans care more about Asian victims than African victims?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jan 24, 2005.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    why are we all out raising money for Asians?
    what about Africa?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is an excellent question brother JamesfrmPhilly! It is a prime example of how black people are being blindly influenced by the media. We care about the Tsunami victims because the news tells us that we should care. The president (a multi-millionaire) is on TV urging Americans to give their own to help these "poor people". Meanwhile those who are suffering in Haiti, the Sudan, Liberia, Equatorial Guinea, even the East African victims of the Tsunami go unnoticed...because the media doesn't notice them! I've long said that African Americans need our on foreign policy agenda. This is another example of why this is necessary!

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't know anyone sending money for the tsunami victims. If we are talking about the black folks on television...well, like anything else...it's good publicity. It makes them look like they care and it's a way to get their names in the papers and on the news in a positive light. That's why all these people are promoting concerts instead of just signing a freakin' check. They want to be noticed. The last thing they're going to do is help the tsunami victims anonymously. It's all about them, not the victims. They'll get nothing for helping the people in Sudan or Haiti, so they don't bother. Perfect example...look what Dikembe Mutombo has done throughout the years for Africa, but only NBA fans pretty much know this. No one followed his lead and started sending cash to build hospitals and help feed them after he started. Not even other black NBA players. That's sad. Once all this started (tsunami mania) people from black atheletes to rappers to singers started pledging their money. Why, because it looks good in white people's eyes. White people don't care about Africa, so in turn, neither do black folks.

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Of course, White Amerikkka does not care about us, so why should we care about them? And let me tell you Haiti or Africa does not give them currency in return:

They are supported by God. The Lord takes very good care of them, because they are not loaded up on money. When you give to our gifted people, God gives back for them. Why do you need money in exchange for everything? Shouldn't you be happier about God keeping you alive another day rather than getting happy over filthy money? Do you need money for everything?

CD

5. Kwaku Bendele

Kwaku Bendele Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    My first concern is Africa I have nothing against Asians but my roots are African and that's who I care about Uhuru Sasa

6. Oba Iparankanru

Oba Iparankanru Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    africa, let the straight hairs worry about their own. I do not see any of them helping blacks in africa.

7. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    I care obviously what happens to my own people, but I care about the "straight hairs" in Asia. Tragedy is tragedy, wherever, it happens, and I don't want anyone to suffer, and I don't have apathy for anyone in pain. If you make me prioritize, Africa comes first, but I care about the tsunami victims in Asia and my heart goes out to everyone who lost friends and family.

8. JoWillie

JoWillie Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    No

Never entered my mind about giving but I do sympathize with their pain. I have prayed for them because of vast number of lives lost. But my heart and mind goes out to my own people in many parts of the world who are in need and the world cares not. I chose to spend my time, effort and little money on my own. Which blacks who can should give priority to. I am now working with a group packing a 40 foot container for Africa and no way will it go to Asia. I am praying that some of the money collected will be shared with others who are less fortunate.

Plus I agree with the person who mentioned how our own president is not spending any of his millions for this cause. I have yet to hear him say what he is personally sending money out of his pocket. He wants everyone else to foot the bill just like he has us all going broke paying for HIS war in Iraq.

I say take care of your own first!

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree completely JoWillie! I can sympathize with the suffering of Tsunami victims, but if I give any money to help foreign nations, it will be to black people! How can one care about their neighbors, and neglect their brothers/sisters? This is completely illogical! Who are you trying to impress? In the case of the US government they spend hundreds of billions aiding poor nations and "liberating" other peoples, but won't even assist the millions of poor & homeless people in their own country. That is the height of hypocrisy!

10. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    When people ask why the gov't is not giving more money to countries who need aid the first thought is that the US cares more for some countries than others. I am posting a link to a report by the Canadian gov't about the effectiveness of foriegn aid. Please read the entire link before commenting on it.

http://www.geocities.com/Pacific_Future/policy_aid1.html

This report was compiled for 20 years and has some very interesting information as to why aid has been diminished not just by the US but other countries as well.