Pan Africanism : SHOULD AFRICAN AMERICANS CARE MORE ABOUT AFRICA THAN AFRICANS THEMSELVES???

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Isaiah, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Peops, I was reading brother Emeka's post on the "recolonization of Africa" in this thread, and I was instantly struck by my own anger, and the anger and anxiety of several African Americans in this thread... Brother Emeka suggested in his opening post that there is an apathy about Africa on the part of African Americans, and I don't disagree, but it struck me that we are 20,000 miles away from our motherland, and that's really not that unusual for something out of sight to be out of mind - for all humans...

What angers more, then, is how Continental Africans, with all of the history of colonization, murder, rape, conquest, and enslavement that has plagued the continent for more than 3,000 years, are STILL not prepared to deal with our and their enemies??? I will not take off on a riff on Continental Africans, as that is very divisive, but it is, ultimately, the Continental African's primary responsibility to protect the homeland, and call in African Diasporans for reinforcement if necessary... Somehow I get the impression that we in Diaspora catch more flak for our apathy than the Continental African catches for his incompetence, for his lethargic manner in solving the issues and delimmas of the Motherland, and that is sad...

It is Sad because we seem to be saying that the poor Continental Africans cant't possibly help themselves without African American help... Is that true??? Is that valid??? I don't think so at all - do you??? If it is not, then why must I self-flaggelate about this issue when my own brethren don't seem to give a ****??? Why should an African American be subjected to having the blame of Africa's demise thrust on him when Africans are right there with the fire extinguisher to put out the blaze, and are watching it burn???

Somebody bring some logic and cogency of thought to this whole process... I think that the more African Americans are browbeaten in this way, it only will serve to turn us altogether away from the Motherland and it's inhabitants... No good purpose is served by slapping anyone in the face when it is clear that yours in the face that needs a good slapping... It's cowardly, and breeds among even your staunchest supporters the idea that you are coward who is frightened of his own pitiable image in that mirror called life...

Yes, we do need unity as African people, but how will that unity be achieved, by slapping people, browbeating people, imputing blame on them??? I leave those who practice that sort of thing to figure it all out... As for me, when I see brothers on the continent looking out for their own narrow Black assess instead of attempting to ameliorate the problems faced by the African masses, then I realize WHY Africa and Africans are in trouble... To look for the enemy 20,000 miles away is, indeed, mad cowardly...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    trudat!
    are not Africans a majority on the continent?

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is an excellent question brother Isaiah!! I think I will withhold further comment until more people respond.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Pan, why??? I know you've got an opinion right off the top(smile!)

The problem with us in diaspora, as well as with Continentals, is about the revolution we waged in this country when no one else was doing anything... It seems the onus of leadership has been placed on African Americans by default, and by our own freakin' ego trippin'... We think we are the baddest, and the boldest, and the wisest, and there aint no such animal...

Other African diasporans and Continentals feed that ego trip we've been on by constantly attempting to browbeat us into walking the point in their struggle... We, paternalistically believing they do this because they are ill-equipped to fight their own battles without our assistance, stick our chests out, and join the fray without asking the pertinent questions, which are, what are y'all gone be doing while we are walking the point for you??? What have you done thus far that compells you to seek our help??? What is the reward to us after the struggle is over and done???

Hey, we've got an on-going struggle to resolve old issues on this piece a carpet right here... I aint giving up that struggle, because the blood of my ancestors is much too precious to give up on their struggle while my living blood pumps in these veins... Too many of their lives were sacrificed for me, while some of the living in our midst are worth pee and tea cup... If you want me to play mercenary in your struggle, then you got to be willing to take care of my family when I'm no longer there to take care of them... That's the price of my death in your struggle...

In the case of continental Africans, I sense they want me to rally to a united Africa where none exists... Africans on the continent are still tribal like a mug... They see no allegiances outside of their tribal affiliations... I aint nothing but a member of another long lost tribe to them... Sorry, but for me to give you my hard-earned money, much less risking my very life, I need so mo' love, fellaz... Sor' 'bout dat, but that's how I feel 'bout it, bou't it!

Said I wasn't going off on no riffs, and I lied... Sorry! But I do feel emotional about this... I feel that Africa is this beautiful sister winking at me, saying, "come on, boy, I wanna do it with you!"., and she's mad sexy, and winking, purring and promising, and on and on... Problem is she's old, and not nearly as pretty as she thinks she is... In fact, she's imminently RESISTIBLE, and even has to browbeat me to stir my interest in her these days(smile!) Africa and Africans have got to come better than that to get Africans like myself to get turned on to her again... She must understand that we left the old house more than 400 years ago, and NEVER even received a phone call from her until she needed us again... Aint no love in that, brothers and sisters... Love is not blind to my pain and suffering, either... Love, in effect, is a two-way street - something Continental Africans have been mad lacking in demonstrating to AFrican Americans... What fools do you think we are that we would willingly give up our lives to save Africa, when Africa doesn;t love itself enough to save itself??? Hard Questions deserve more than punkish and cowardly excuses for answers...

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I have my reasons for waiting, but like I said this is an excellent topic, and well stated!

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I have my reasons for waiting...but like I said this is an excellent topic, and well stated!

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    As I read the previous threads, all I can think about is the fact that we WERE true Africans of the Motherland.................but then American mixed in us made us go backwards. Truthfully I do not know how, but we need a BIG recovery if we want to be united. I wish I can be united, but with the brothas - Because of my politeness and manners, I am just anothe Uncle Tom stranger ----- Then with the sistahs - I am just another stranger who wants a piece of you know what. I wonder how strangers deal with eachother in the Motherland, because here in the Diaspora, we don't want anything to do with someone if we never met them before. Because we don't know eachother, we will kill, fight, murder, and abuse eachother. This is all from the fact that we were separated. I don't take pride in being separated. We can't even trust eachother.........what a shame! In the Motherland, they get along well, they support eachother, they get to know eachother, but here, being that kind is a bad disease. I am not pointing the blame, but I think it is the Amerikkkan in us that makes us that ruined! I mean, how were our ancestors before Slavery? I really would like to know.

Cedric Denson

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    not according to the reports of war and genocide and famine that are coming from there.

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    ...........And who might these reporters be? Someone on Destee mentioned awhile ago - "Only believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear."

That comes into play when I hear these types of stories. The very people who control us are very corruptive. How do you know this is not a headline to get us (African-Americans) to turn our backs on our people? I can never trust headlines, because there are fools out there in the media with that type of intention. They want us to be in shame!

Cedric Denson

10. pdiane

pdiane Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    James, my brother, again, you are a victim of white media literacy, and it is high time that you step foot on the continent. Don't you think so?

Anyway, in the thousands of villages, the 55 countries, there is love and respect between Africans. Africans have culture of asking first, how are you, how is your family, how is you mother, and how is father, how is your son, how is your daughter, and this happens across the continent. They love peace.

Now I done told you, that you have to understand the role of amerikkka and europe in the the strife in Africa. So please do yourself a favor and read. Might I give you some literature where you can start! ?

They generally are very friendly and caring people, just like most of us here in amerikkka. Very spiritual, very peacful, very loving. When I moved to the south from cold Boston, I was shocked with the friendliness and caring of our people in the South. A very similar culture and way of life.

Africans are the most peaceful people on earth. Read the history. That is why it is in the trouble it is in today. As Chancelor Williams said in "The Destruction of Blaclk African Civilization", one of the reasons for Africa's problems is because the people are too friendly, too willing to forgive and forget, to willing to allow the non-melinated albinosand arabs (same thing) to befriend them, too "cosmopolitan". Africans, leave those white folks alone!!!!

Now is far as Brother Isaiah's concern about Africans running a guilt trip on us Diasporans, I did not in Africa and don't experience that brother among my African friends. They have great leaders and hero and sheros right there on the continent who have fought, are fighting for freedom, yes, fighting and dying everyday. Unsung s/heroes.

Many who have never asked for our help or browbeat us, as you would say. Nkrumah, Winnie, Lumumba, Mugabe, Bamba, Nzingah to name a few. My neice's husband who died in Sierra Leone was one of them. He fought to control the diamonds in his country and was murdered by paid mercernaries. You know the condilezzas, colon powells of this world.

Africans look at us as leaders even if they don't want to admit it. They see us as decendants of MLK, Malcolm, Marley, Tubman, etc, people who resisted. They see us as people who have resources that can help them financially and politically and believe it or not, some of us can. Bottom line. But I have never met an African, and I know several from different countries, that said to me you Diasporans owe us and you need to step to the plate and help us. Isaiah, this has never happened to me.

Now I have met some greencard liars, some that think they can use and abuse us, but for personal reasons, no way political. They will use anyone for a green card. And then of course some have asked me to help their relatives get visas to visit and work in amerikkka, to write character references, etc. I do what I can. I do not feel compelled. They ask without evil intention. Africans need help and they need to help their poor, disenfranchised families at home. If we can do it fine, if we can't fine. Brother Isaiah, are you referring to this?

We have great historians, great resisters that set the tone for all Africans. We have knowledge and the freedom, yes, here in amerikkka to speak truth to power, to hold conferences, and workshops on African freedom issues. I personally think it is important that we do that.

I think Africans from the continent know that we can play a major role in their freedom from their colonizers, they just don't know how to articulate how. However, many are keeping hope alive and fighting their own battles with the very little resources they have, and their faith in God and the ancestors.

Lastly, brother Isaiah, I am sorry for this long post. Not ego-tripping but we some bad Africans in amerikkka and we should be proud of our strength and accomplishments. If Africans approach us for suggestion, assistance in their freedom struggle and it is legit, then what is the problem?