Black Women : short hair=man, long hair=woman?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by jamesfrmphilly, Apr 25, 2005.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    is it all that simple?

2. yaphet al-wynn

yaphet al-wynn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    No, the SEXIEST woman or one of the sexiest women I ever saw with short hair was a pretty Kenyan young woman in my local marriage announcement in my newspaper a couple years ago.

3. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've worn my hair short for almost 13 years now. Recently I cut it super short, letting the natural curls come out. I like this style because I don't have to do much to it, and I don't have to put chemicals and heat in my hair.

Most men I encounter say they like long hair on a woman because they feel it's more feminine...I really don't get that.

4. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Not only that, but most traditional African women wear their hair short as well.

Historically, long hair was not worn by Black women, unless she wore it locked or braided.

The whole concept of long, flowing hair is a completely Western one, that has been imposed upon our ideals of beauty and gender.

PEACE

5. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't have a big problem with short hair females. I love long hair, but if it's short that's cool. A lot of women don't have the face for it though. It sort of looks weird on some women IMO. If it's kept up and tight, then short hair looks good. As long as the hair is natural and is kept looking good, it all good. Your hair is not the thing that's on my mind anyways. :cake:

6. FiveAlive

FiveAlive Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I loooove short hair on a woman. Plus, that's less time she has to spend doing it, less hair in the drain, it's not getting in the way when you're getting busy. Much better.

7. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    No, it isn't.

Many Asian and Native American cultures have traditionally worn longer hair for both men and women. Even nowadays, for all races, men are starting to wear their hair long. I've seen black men with dreds down the middle of their back, and believe me, there was nothing feminine about them. :tongue:

As for women, I think both short and long hair is acceptable. From my observation it almost seems like even in the white world shorter hair is considered more 'metropolitan' and the style of choice for a professional woman. For black women, short hair is the standard style because some of us just can't grow our hair long.

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I think short hair on women are beautiful it bring out the full
    face but i also don't see anything wrong with long hair on a woman

but to me really i don't like to have my hair long as a man it
    but a nice low cut or shave headed brutha
    short hair on both men and women brings out the Natural beauty

we learn to ware our hair long to keep up with the jones of this society
    and leaving the true culture of our beings .........................................

9. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

I agree, the long hair short thing was popularized in the Roman Empire. Roman soldiers would wear short cropped hair cuts so their hair would be not pulled and used against them in battle. Since then cut hair has been associated with masculinity. In fact short hair is one the the more manlier customs. This is why we see authority figures and military members still praticing this ancient tradition today.

Peace

10. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    Thats real talk right there...I admire and love to see a sistah who can carry short hair cause lord knows my head is WAAAAAAAAAAY too big for that :lol: and this I know LOL keeping my hair long is kina the way it has to be lol distracts from my super dome :laugh: