Health and Wellness : Shingles

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Fine1952, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Shingles comes from the "varicella-zoster" virus. It is a type of herpes virus that causes chickenpox. The virus attaches itself to nerve endings and a rash develops near the associated area.

Symptoms include itching, tingling and moderate to severe pain at the site of the rash which appears as a cluster of blisters or bands (eg. a sure sign of Shingles) that scab up and then dry up a few weeks later.

There is no cure --only amenative treatment.
    1. However, treatment regimes include antiviral meds such as: acyclovir, famciclovir, or valacyclovir.
    2. On-going treatment may include antidepressant, anesthetic, anticonvulsant, opioid meds and Topical creams.
    Long term complications may affect the heart, intestinal tract, joints, lungs, liver and pancreas.

Although, not contagious to people who previously contracted chickenpox in childhood, Shingles is contagious to people who were passed over chickenpox from childhood. The condition can then spread from that infected person to babies, children, or adults.
    • These same people who are exposed to Shingles with no previous history of chickenpox; and develop chickenpox cannot catch shingles (or contract the virus) from someone else.
    • However, once infected with Shingles that turn to chickenpox, these people have the potential to develop shingles later in life, because they didn't have a previous history of chickenpox. Source

[​IMG]

In other words if you never had chickenpox and you become exposed to someone who has Shingles you won't develop Shingles but you will develop chickenpox and the probability of developing Shingles is highly probable in your senior years.

However, if you had a previous history of chickenpox, your body built up an immunity against Shingles; although there have been reported flare ups.

FAQs

1. Are Shingles and Chicken Pox the Same?
    --Yes, both are the varicella zoster virus

2. Can Shingles be transmitted?
    --Yes, the varicella zoster virus can be transmitted, especially if you're not immune to the virus.

3. If you had the chicken pox will Shingles appear later?
    --Even after the initial infectuous period has passed the virus remains in the nerve cell bodies near the spinal cord.

4. Can this virus become airborne?
    --Yes

5. What foods should Eye Avoid?

Tomatoes
    Wheat Germ
    Brussels sprouts
    Cashews
    Grapes
    Pumpkin Seeds
    Pecans
    Blackberries
    Blueberries
    Peanuts
    Chocolate
    Sugars

6. What Foods Should Eye Eat?
    All meats
    Fish
    Yogurt
    Cheese
    Milk
    Eggs
    Apples
    Pears
    Apricots
    Avocados
    Pineapples
    Green beans
    Asparagus

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  2. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    ear

I am addressing this subject from a personal viewpoint. I had singles several weeks last year, hence my absent from these forums. If I say, they (shingles) are no joke, believe me! I have never been so sick in my life. You are contagious for up to 7 to 10 days. I asked my doctors every question I could think of and was told that if you've had chicken poxs, 1 out of 3 will get shingles. Once you've had shingles, you won't get them again. (I've had a couple of friends who dispute this, the point of not repeating the illness. I have never heard that if exposed to shingles, you won't develop shingles but you will develop chicken poxs.
    That has not been my experience or members of my family of which 3 besides myself have suffered through this terrible illness.

This is just my experience, maybe there are those here who have another experience with shingles

3. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Eye am sooo sorry to hear that you experienced such a painful and debilitating episode of this condition that affects infants, children and adults.:heart: As a 12 year old eye had a bad case of chicken pox, probably b/c eye was so much older than my niece who only had a few spots. Like your episode with Shingles eye was out of school for 2 weeks. Yes, it is possible that under the right conditions eye, too, could develop Shingles later on in life...or not! Because everyone's immunity response is different everyone will most certainly have a different experience.

Thx for responding,

O
    ne :heart:
    Fine

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pictures of someone who has chicken pox