Black Entertainment : Shareefa Disturbing The Peace/Def Jam first female soul artist

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by blackberryjam, Aug 20, 2006.

1. blackberryjam

blackberryjam Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +7
    Wazzup,
    Anybody check out that new song Need a Boss from the new female soul artist Shareefa?... I am feeling it straight hip hop/r&B soul... she bringing that flava like mary j blige did when she first came on scene.. She got Ludacris blessing the track. no album date yet.. but I am riding with this single joint she got..

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    haven't heard it yet ! surely will check it out.

3. Sweet baby_face

Sweet baby_face Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student by day, Poet by night
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm feelin' Shareefa!!!
    That "I need a boss" is hot!!

4. blackberryjam

blackberryjam Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +7
    shareefa

she definitely on her way to hiphop soul stardom

5. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    *grumble*
    No matter how many of us get locked up, "Gangta's, hustla's, trappa's, and thugs" don't ever seem to go out of style. Regardless of how great the shortage is of strong, secure, intellectually stimulating young men. I don't think it's that deep that you need to make a song (after song after song) about it. Go to any arbitrary inner city corner and throw one in your trunk... or something.

6. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Just because u dont have any urban in you.. or even if your more towards the geeky side... remember this...
    most intellectuals come from the streets...
    the words of those we look up to..
    came from the ghettos... and the jails...
    take brother old soul for example..
    dont get cought up labeling ppl that you cant identify with..
    there is far much more knowledge in life that has yet to be found in a book.
    So i fear u may be missing out...
    rap is the voice of a community...
    you cant help black ppl if you dont listen to them, and try to understand thier plight.. no matter how gangsta... it is.
    You have to know there to go there...
    me personally.. i identify with both sides..
    because my mother took me from the subsidised govt housing,
    to gated communities....
    To remember where i came from, helps me go farther.
    Take your white mans glasses off...
    and realize...
    if uncle sam aint ya daddy.. putting food in your belly..
    some body gotta do it. No matter what it has to get done.

7. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    I believe brakes are in order on your part, Sis. Since "most intellectuals came from the ghettos and the jails" what makes you believe I have not. I've been there and done that. It's nothing to harp on and cheer about. Only the uneducated and wannabes would glorify jail, murder, and hustling drugs. What does your sob story-or mine should I feel it necessary to harp on (which I don't)-have anything to do with repetitive, redundant messages that only seek to stagnate the youth at such a shallow mind set? I'm simply stating my opinion. I have more guns than you've seen (I'd be more than willing to post pics if you are the enthusiast that I am). And I’ve also recorded plenty of hard core lyrics and currently-and have always-loved good hard core Hip-Hop (among plenty of other music and facets of the true genre).
    If I'm not for wanting yet another woman who wants yet MORE hustlas and Gangstas in my music I'm an uncle tom?

I didn't bash you or call you hilarious when you posted pics of losing your last 100 pounds before losing the 200 more you still have to go.
    And that took no thought at all on my part. I’m a respectful being (and I believed you were cool at the time).

So think deeply b4 you bash me, sis. All is well. But clearly you don't know me.

Think. Don't be so shallow.

Be easy, yes?

8. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    haha...
    well if its peace that you were seeking... you should have stuck to the topic at hand...
    as the reason why we have all these forum and topics...
    You call me sister but yet you strike low just like white ppl do when they have nothing left to say about me.. but my weight gain and loss. Frankly its quite childish, and low of you to access me like white men. But im proud of my achievements. Somebody has to make the first step.
    I dont have a jail bird story.. but ive been surrounded by them all my life. I dont brag about coming from ghettos.. or seeing my uncles get locked up like they got a palace behind bars.. but... theres is a story to be told. White ppl write articles about animals in the jungle and their plight for surival.. even making documenteries about it. Black ppl. have learned to write lyrics, and make movies about thier plight for surival in the ghettos. The way i see it.. we all have something.. a world beneath our nose that we need to open our eyes to.. white ppl tend to mess with animals.. we tend to document thugs..
    I think one of the most terrifying yet eye opening book ive ever read was by Donald Goins. Just because we sing slave songs.. dosent mean we are glorifying slavery...
    Just because we sing hard core rap.. dosent mean we are glorifying gang banging and bling bling..
    these are all stories of what black ppl. are going through, and will continue going thru under the current system that we live.
    Why doese everyone attack rap... as if its one big blob? But when you look at it.. artist clearly establish thier own style.
    Rap is not a blob.. just like americans arent a blob...
    there are different experiences in every song... spanning the entire u.s/// why do we focus on the bad.

9. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Yo. Ya'll need to stop this drama.

What's up with the weight comments, Brother Sefirot?

Sefirot makes a good point, most pop "rnb" songs are just perpetuating the stereotypes and are not bringing anything new to the table, regardless of whether they project something true in the community or not.

How many DMX's, Mase's, P.Diddys and so ons can we take?

Then again, PoeticManifesta makes a beautiful point when she says "rap is the voice of a community...". Absolutely, Sister. But surely, you too can agree that not all rap is condonable just because it's the voice of the community?

In short, you're both right and wrong. It's a matter of taste, ain't it?

Just don't see why ya'll had to get so rude.

Respect.

~Ikoro