Black People : Shaquanda Cotton - Paris, Texas

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I'd not heard of this until Brother Roarin mentioned it, so i did some searching, and am sharing too.

[​IMG]

From Young Black Professional Guide:

Paris, Texas is the home of the Paris Fairgrounds, a stage where thousands of white ’spectators’ would gather to burn and lynch blacks as if at some sort of carnival. today, it is a highly segregated town that has implicity dared anyone to question how it chooses to treat blacks that live in the area.

the facts:

1. “black parents have filed at least a 12 discrimination complaints against the school district with the federal Education Department, asserting that their children, who constitute 40 percent of the district’s nearly 4,000 students, were singled out for excessive discipline”

2. the paris public schools are under investigation by the U.S. Education Department

3. 19-year-old white man, convicted last july of criminally negligent homicide for killing a 54-year-old black woman and her 3-year-old grandson with his truck, was sentenced in Paris to probation

4. judge chuck superville sentenced a 14-year-old white girl, convicted of arson for burning down her family’s house, to probation

5. a 14-year-old black freshman, shaquanda cotton, shoved a 58-year-old teacher’s aide at paris high school in a dispute over entering the building before the school day had officially begun. she was tried in march 2006 in the town’s juvenile court, convicted of “assault on a public servant” and sentenced by the same judge chuck superville to prison for up to 7 years, until she turns 21

Yes, you read that last part right. i’ll let it sink in for a second.

Free Shaquanda Cotton - Her Own Blog

Shaquanda Cotton

Paris, Texas, US

I am a 14-year-old black freshman who shoved a hall monitor at Paris High School in a dispute over entering the building before the school day had officially begun and was sentenced to 7 years in prison. I have no prior arrest record, and the hall monitor--a 58-year-old teacher's aide--was not seriously injured. I was tried in March 2006 in the town's juvenile court, convicted of "assault on a public servant" and sentenced by Lamar County Judge Chuck Superville to prison for up to 7 years, until I turn 21. Just three months earlier, Superville sentenced a 14-year-old white girl, convicted of arson for burning down her family's house, to probation.

To Some in Paris, Texas - Sinister Past is Back

PARIS, Texas -- The public fairgrounds in this small east Texas town look ordinary enough, like so many other well-worn county fair sites across the nation. Unless you know the history of the place.

There are no plaques or markers to denote it, but several of the most notorious public lynchings of black Americans in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries were staged at the Paris Fairgrounds, where thousands of white spectators would gather to watch and cheer as black men were dragged onto a scaffold, scalded with hot irons and finally burned to death or hanged.

:heart:

Destee

2. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    bump....this is a **** shame!

What can we do this about this beyond writing a letter?

(Note to mrron: please don't come in the thread talking about this child deserves to be jailed...I haven't got this anger channeling thing worked out just yet.)

3. Goddess Auset333

Goddess Auset333 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    Beloved Ones:

Below is a post I posted on the YAHOO Groups.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Beloved Ones:

I AM bringing this to your attention again to remind us that where we are Now we can make a difference with a pen, paper, keyboard/computer. Our ancestors was forbidden to read and write during slavery. If we do not utilize the pen, paper, keyboard/computer, we are still in slavery by our own choice.

It is my desire that after reading my first post about this subject, some of you did take some sort of action to get this child and all Black children free from the web of wrong by communicating with those this need to be addressed to. Mine and yours could be next.

Who ever hear of someone getting 7 years for SHOVING someone? pretty soon like during slavery, we are going to be forbidden to look into the white people eyes with our head bowed down.

Take a look at the below two incidents and the punishment for each. Is there any logic, reasoning, understanding/overstanding in them?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Fedric writes:

1. I want to direct your attention to a crazy situation happening in texas. A 14-year old black girl is in prison for 7 years for shoving someone!

2. Just a couple of months ago, a young white girl burned down her house in arson and received PROBATION!
    -------------------

Sounds to me like this is a Distorted schizophrenia system (mind-set), and we strive to continue to build in it and call it Our country.

------------------------------

Black woman RISE TO THIS CAUSE- IT IS YOUR CAUSE. If we do not Black Woman we help to destroy the Sacred WOMB, that right of Passgae that bring forth the Black life.

These racist acts describes what Chief Osiris constantly tells us about, the actions of the Only Human/Human Only Human Being, and yet we just ignore it.

I ask where is the Churches when our people get into this perverted system? Every person reading this should, I am not asking, should when they attend their service in a church on Sunday ask the Leader of that church to send around a petition to the members while in the church and have them sign their name to free this Black girl, and the administrative people in the church mail it off to the address below. Please do not ignore this. It would be Vain Glory to do so.

There you have It. Another Showdown for Justice.
    We are the judge, jury, and executioners
    After all, what has happened, is happening and will happen happens to us.

Another Last Chance Mission for Blacks.

Run, Run, Run Black man and Black woman, get off our behinds, and fetch our mirror and fetch our once Divine Right minds, so we can establish a Divine environment for selves/children.

We who do absolutely nothing as we remain onlookers like the hangmen who are hanging of our children, tells me there is something gravely perverted in us.

It becomes more shameful when we do not do anything about it. SHAME ON US, that do not.

The incident does not fit the punishment.

Call as I did and. Email as I did.

HILY/A

Goddess IsIs

----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ybpguide.com/2007/03/13/paris-texas-in-plain-view/

Here is the juges’ address and phone number:
    M.C. (Chuck) Superville, Jr
    Judge, Lamar County, TX
    Lamar County Courthouse
    119 N. Main St., # 201
    Paris, TX 75460
    903-737-2410
    903-785-3858

Want to help stop misuse of prisons?
    GO HERE: Write an email to Texas Governor, Rick Perry
    http://www2.governor.state.tx.us/contact/
    or fax Office of the Governor: (512) 463-1849
    or call Office of the Governor Main Switchboard: (512) 463-2000
    [office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST]

To: Texas Governor Rick Perry

Governor Perry, My letter concerns Shaquanda Cotten, the teenager who was sentenced to 7 years for pushing a hall monitor at Paris High School. Although I can't condone Shaquanda's part in the incident, I cannot think of any justification for Lamar County Judge Chuck Superville's decision: Seven years in prison. 7 years, for Heaven's sake, she's 14 years old! She shoved someone, not stabbed them...

I am from Texas, both my parents died there and 4 of my own 5 children live there now with their families. I'm very concerned about how children are treated by Texas police officers and judges. I have four daughters and sons-in-law, 5 grandkids and 1 great-grandson that could one day come before Judge Superville, heaven forbid.

I've been reading some of his past decisions, and I have to agree with the general public that Shaquanda's case appears to be a racial judgement. Judge Superville gives all non-black citizens a bad rap. That's not safe, nor fair, particularly from a Judge! A man sits on the judge's bench because he is supposedly somehow wiser than the rest of us. But Judge Superville is obviously no King Solomon.

It's more complicated than a little girl going to prison because she's black. It's about children's futures. It's about abusing prisons and the taxpayers who build them. It's about misusing authority.

Texas is still on a bit of a hot seat for racism from the Tulia Drug Narc Farce and the Dallas County Jail nastiness. Texas prisons are overflowing and everyone is looking, Governor... Do the right thing equally for Shaquanda.. for every citizen who comes before the court, and for every overburdened taxpayer... Correct Shaquanda's legal situation and make Judge Superville get off that bench!

Kay Lee
    2683 Rockcliff Road Southeast
    Atlanta Georgia 30316
    404-212-0690
    Subject: 14 year old African American girl, given 7 years for pushing a teachers aide....

"Read to the end of the article, about the turmoil suffered by Shaquanda in juvenile prison, where 95% of the offenders are repeat and violent (read: real crimes), has caused her to attempt suicide on her life 3 times. 3 times! a 14-year old, my little sister, is trying to kill herself because a racist bigot of a judge put her in prison for shoving someone. SHOVING!"
    "If you believe racism is dead....this should be an eye opener. Click on the link below, don't just read the article, this is your chance to stand for something... pass this on to as many people as you know and take the time to write a letter to our dear Gov.Perry.....and to this child to let her know that there is a GOD and that there is hope.....I did and I encourage all of you to do so as well." A.T., Texas

READ THE ARTICLE - WRITE YOUR LETTER
    http://www.ybpguide.com/2007/03/13/paris-texas-in-plain-view/

4. Chucky

Chucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Just devils being devils.

5. roarin1

roarin1 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +28
    The Shaquanda Cotton issue is as the straw just before the straw that will break the camels back.

Lotsa BROTHERS are tired of this kind of continued injustice, just like the Shawn Bell continued injustice out in N.Y.C.

5 cops were actively shooting at those young Men....5. But only 3 were called up on the carpet for it. This still
    doesn't mean that they will be convicted of ANYTHING.

Ain't nobody stupid.

Yet there are BROTHERS out in N.Y.C. that have been set to explode if Something would have not happened in the form of 'justice' with these cops.

Racist krakkas better be careful....they could wind up on the recieving end of some of this injustice. And way before He!! freezes over!

ROARIN........

6. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Normally I would look at a situation like this and say "...Around the Circle of Life we go...", but the very DISAPPOINTING this about this situation is this:

(1) The very terrain where this young Sistah is from/incarcerated is comprised of rednecks who know that they have "put Black folks in their place" when it comes to "race relations" down there

(2) She is in Jail right now being overseen by a Guard who is/was being investigated for 3 Sexual Assault charges on Teenage young Ladies

(3) The Judges down there apparently have a Criminal Injustice System of their own

(4) To go down there physically and do something about it will be a risk like none other.

Some of the towns surrounding Paris are towns where Black folks can not even be outside at night, for if you are, ...(just remember James Bryd, Jr, and everyone else who was innocent, and STILL became victims of [Southern-style] White Supreme-Racism (Supremacy)

I feel very, very, very bad for the Black Youth down there who are expected to grow up in those areas. I have met a few of them, and was plain speechless after hearing the "stories."

KD

7. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    hopefully this girls learns her lesson

and of course 7 seven years is EXTREMELY excessive and there should be no talk of jail for this child

but she needs to understand you can't go around pushing school officials

that type of behavior won't be acceptable in the "adult" world

but 7 years in jail or any jail sentence for this child sounds real stupid and prejudiced to me

8. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    If you read into the case, she did not push them; she needed to take medication, and the Hall monitor pushed her. Not only that, this is bigger than "pushing;" her Mother protested against the School and their un-just ways.

KD

9. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    i stand corrected on the pushing part

so she needed medicine?

so why is there even a question of jail which i never agreed with from the jump

WTF is going on down there?

and brother we need your intelligence in the Brother's Chat

10. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Brotha - If you know anything about the "deep south" backwoods and small towns, you would know that Black folks have the least chance of rising to Power down there. Especially when the Judge(s) are Klansmen and Supremacists themselves (let alone the Police Departments), someone is in Trouble. From a state like Florida, you only get "glimpses" of them, but it is dangerous as you go farther West.

One of the Security Guards at my school spent time in Vider, TX (another supreme-racist town), and had nothing pleasant to say about his experience.

KD

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Shaquanda