Black Men : Shape up? White barber sidesteps cutting black man's hair

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by MsInterpret, Nov 9, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Shape up? White barber sidesteps cutting black man's hair

By theGrio

BELLOWS FALLS, Vt. (AP) -- A white Vermont barber who turned away a black customer says he was trying to avoid embarrassment for both of them because he's no good at cutting black people's hair.

Mike Aldrich runs Mike's Barber Shop in Bellows Falls, a village of about 3,500 residents along the Connecticut River. He told would-be customer Dr. Darryl Fisher when he stopped in last month that the barber wasn't in.

Fisher walked by the shop later and saw Aldrich cutting the hair of a white customer and realized Aldrich was the barber.

Fisher is from Taos, N.M. His cause was taken up Saturday in a sidewalk demonstration outside the shop. He says he thinks the incident was racially motivated.

Aldrich says no, it was because he has trouble with black people's hair.

http://www.thegrio.com/news/shape-up-white-barber-sidesteps-cutting-black-mans-hair.php

2. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Doc. Fisher needs to settle down. He thinks a White barber in a small town in VERMONT can cut his hair!?!? It's unreasonable to expect a white barber who rarely sees Black clients to know how to cut black hair. I have known some white barbers when I was in the military who were very good at cutting Black hair, but that's because they have thousands of heads to work with.

The worse thing the barber did was to not simply tell him up front that he didn't have any experience with Black hair and therefore did not feel comfortable cutting it. He may have added something to the effect of "If you are unable to find someone you are comfortable, I am willing to give it a try, but I cannot guarantee the results" But, he probably was darned if he did and darned if he didn't.

3. acitizen

acitizen Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +44
    i agree if the barber had messed him up there would've been a lawsuit or worst.

4. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    Eh...hard to say...racism can be cited...the barber did lie now...but also most whites cant cut black's hair & black men put emphasis on a good haircut...i would be heated if he ruined my hair so...hard to say rly

5. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    Heck Naw!!
    why would a black person want to live in Vermont anyway? wth?

6. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    :SuN049: For Real!

I often visit areas of the country where there are few to NO Black people. I always wonder, what in the world would make them stay. A few months back, I was in a tiny town in West Virginia. I was there for two days before I seen another Black person. I was about to order in a local McDonalds and looked over my shoulder and seen a Brother. I did a double take and so did he. He got in line behind me and introduced himself. He said he didn't recognize me and knew I wasn't from there. After I got my food, he came to the table and sit with me. I asked him what brought him to this area. He said he had been there his entire life!! He looked about Jamesfrmphilly's age. I was shocked. He went on to tell me that his father had moved to that area just before he was born to work in the coal mines and they settled there.

I asked him if his family was still there because he was the only Black person I had seen in town. He was a bit surprised becaused he said there was a community of blacks. He said his personal family had all moved back south, mostly to Atlanta and that he visits them once per year, but his home was in WV. I asked him to tell me where other Black people were so I could see for myself. He did. Sure enough, there was one street that had about 6 houses and I scene Black people out front of some of the houses. They all looked at me like I was a stranger driving through there neighborhood...cause I was.

The guy told me that he was a business owner in that town and that his business was and had done very well through the years and that after he retires he MIGHT consider moving with the rest of his family, but he doubts it. I just can't imagine it.

I asked him if he had any problem with Racism there. He said there was some, but it was minimal. He said everyone knows everyone there and most get along and where mutually respectful.

Last week, I was in a small town in Arkansas. While there, I was invited to go to a local middle school for a career day. Initially, I declined, but the guy pleaded saying it would be good for the minorities to see an "African American in our profession". That sparked my interest as I really hadn't seen any Blacks in that area. I went, but to my surprise the school was like 70% Mexican, 25 -28% White and like 3% Black. In fact, It was a while before I seen the first Black child.

Before I started traveling to these smaller towns, I never really got the vision that we only represent 12.8% of the population of America. But in the last 4 years, I have seen it up close and personal. There are a LOT of remote places in this country where Black faces are few and far between. And, I always wonder, why do they stay....and WHERE do they get their hair cut?? :)

7. Black_Warrior

Black_Warrior Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    Why would he want to have someone cut his hair who has no experience? The barber was being honest. I could be wrong but doubt it's racism here. Sometimes a brother can be a little too sensitive. There are reals issues out there to get steamed up about.

8. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    To do or not to doo

This is really strange....when I did have hair I'd study a new barber weeks before I allowed him anywhere near my head... the brother should be thanking this man for being the way he is.. meaning he could have come out the shop looking like Moe of Moe Larry and Curly...lol

Lilpea :1on1:

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    The barber should have just been upfront.

10. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Exactly. That would have been the proper and practical thing for him to do, but the reality is that oftentimes White people simply don't know how to carry themselves or "act" around Black people. They might intend to pay you a compliment, but it comes off stupid, ignorant, and even racist. They might intend to say they don't know how to cut your hair and end up saying something like "I don't serve "you people". So, a lot of them are on pins and needles because they know that if they say the wrong thing to the wrong Brother, they might just get the beat down.