Black Poetry : Shackles

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by phenomenalwoman, Feb 20, 2004.

1. phenomenalwoman

phenomenalwoman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10
    Trapped behind bars
    Locked in a cell
    Days regulated
    Nights restless
    Alone
    Time to think
    Unresolved issues
    Misguided anger
    Towering oppression
    Failed system
    Imprisoned

2. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    When I read this I think of our people still feeling shackled, and individually our minds feeling shackled, anyway I like the way you posed this.

3. PositiveMindset

PositiveMindset Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +14
    No need 2 say anymore...

Feelin' this.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    well felt i speak on such !
    flow on release

5. phenomenalwoman

Ratings:
    +10
    watz, positivemindset and rich. thank you for commenting on this piece I hope everyone was able to interpret this in their own way.

6. Bluewater

Bluewater Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Praising The Lord
    Ratings:
    +44
    very deep...
    adding it all up
    the system
    nice drop
    Peace
    BlueWater:heart:

7. krazelyricks

krazelyricks Well-Known Member MEMBER

student
    Ratings:
    +12
    Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!
    That was madd deep......I was feeling it ......it seems as though that it might have double meanings though.....it seemed as though it might have been talking about SOCIETY in general...... or even deeper..... LIFE in general. I'm confused can you please explain your meaning to me? IT still was tyte though......madd love for this piece

8. angelicsage

angelicsage Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    perfectly sculpted...

tyte flow!

9. phenomenalwoman

Ratings:
    +10
    bluewater, foxi, angelic thanks for commenting. foxi this poem actually was written about my hospitalization which i was attempting to equate to jail. because you kind of lose your freedom, privacy, and you are bound to this daily routine that you can't break. the two lines that i think are important to the poem are failed system and imprisoned. failed system to me represents the breakdown of my body, which lead to a physical, spiritual, mental/emotional breakthru. i ended it with imprisoned and that was more of a emotional thing because i spent several sleepless nights not knowing why i was sick. i keep remembering what an ex's mother said to me and this was a LONG time ago. back in high school. but she told me that if i keep holding in my emotions that eventually when i got older i would get sick. and that really struck me because the doctors couldnt identify through the tests what caused me to be sick. anyways i was in the hospital for a long time and when i eventually started walking again, i asked the physical therapists to show me how to get up off the ground incase i fell (i really just wanted to get down on my knees and pray) so once they showed me i got on my knees and prayed because i was so grateful and i said Lord i put this your hands. And that was the best thing i could have done. I encountered several more sleepless nights but I was able to see things I had been holding in that were burdening me. i said imprisoned because it was a real struggle in my mind because i felt i didnt have the right to be angry after all i was walking. but when i got home i was going through alot of ish and i was starting to keep it in again. anyways long too make a long story short i found my poetry book from highschool. i had just completely stopped writing for so many years. I just picked up the pen and started writing again. I am a completely different person, I am just amazed sometime how open I am now to other people. anyways i wrote this piece at work and i showed it to some of my coworkers and i was surprised at the different interpretations i got from it, only one person knew what i was talking about. but we are real cool like that so he knew beforehand everything i had went through, where as no one else did.

10. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    i felt that....
    tyte piece
    one love
    khasm