Black Spirituality Religion : Setting God Free

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Apr 13, 2005.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    When I pray my flesh feels a need to focus on some fixed location to which to direct my prayers and I am sorely tempted to stare at the left corner of the ceiling closest to the window of whatever room I am in.

I used to have a picture of Jesus on my wall--one of those Picasso joints, tanned skin, wavy golden brown hair in a three muskateers hair cut, cheekbones to die for and full luscious lips--he was gorgeous but when I found myself looking at that picture while praying I got rid of it.

What can we do to fight the temptation to locate God but truly worship Him in the freedom of the spirit that knows no spacial boundaries?

2. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    Its important to remember that when Jesus prayed he went to the secret place. Your secret place should be somewere that is free from distraction. So that you will be able to just sit and talk to the Lord. As we seek a closer connection to him he knows all of our needs and desires. God is always talking to and teaching us the question is are we ready to listen and recieve his teaching. Allow the spirit to guide you...

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace & paradise sister River........

I believe that Meditation is the highest form of prayer.....

I'm happy you got rid of that picture too sis.............. :jumping: :jumping:

peace

4. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    River

I used to have a picture of Jesus on my wall--one of those Picasso joints, tanned skin, wavy golden brown hair in a three muskateers hair cut, cheekbones to die for and full luscious lips--he was gorgeous but when I found myself looking at that picture while praying I got rid of it.Good on you.....

I'm convinced that this is why so many of our people have a subconcious affinity towards white people.

If the images we honor look like white people then we can't help but to see them as our friends, saviors, and benefactors instead of our historic and open enemies.

5. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    True indeed. And to expound:

It is my understanding that communication with the Divine is a 2-way street.

Prayer (chanting, libations, offerings, ceremonies, etc) is our way of TALKING TO GOD.......

While Meditation serves as our way of LISTENING TO GOD.

Most practicioners of meditation will teach that it behooves us to spend more time in meditation than prayer, since GOD has far more to say to us, than we have to say to him/her.

The reality is, that God speaks to us more than we speak to him/her, and GOD listens to us, far more than we listen to him/her.

The human body is the perfect energy conductor; it tunes in to and broadcasts all forms of energy and frequencies......

The reality behind tuning into GOD, is to tune into ALL channels, and enhance our OMNIVERSAL antenna. :wink:

PEACE

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Well said, Brother.

Matthew 6:

[5] And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
    [6] But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

....My mother's "prayer closet" was usually the bathroom. (lol) I guess that was the only room she could have some peace to pray with a house full of rowdy children. (lol)

7. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    GOD IS FREE

God does not require worship

God serves and needs cultivation and care, which is shown through the way in which one treats self and others

Prayer is a matter of heart, and God listens to your heart

Focus on your heart and it's truest intent, and the god of your heart will manifest in your life

temptation is overcome by knowledge and awarness of yourself

temptation is an animal behavior, while overcoming temptation is Godly behavior

it takes a great depth of overstanding to grasp concepts, and even more LOVE in your heart to overstand and become that which you desire

GOD WILLING YOU WILL SEE