Black People Politics : Serena Williams and Barack Obama's candidacy

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by MysteryDoors, Jul 2, 2008.

1. MysteryDoors

MysteryDoors Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Serena and Venus Williams belief system (Jehovah's Witnesses)

Serena Williams told reporters at Wimbledon that she's excited about Barack Obama's candidacy but won't vote for him because Jehovah's Witnesses "don't get involved in politics." Her sister Venus—who is also a Jehovah's Witness—wouldn't even comment on the presidential election. Why don't Jehovah's Witnesses vote?
    http://www.slate.com/id/2194321/
    Because of John 17:14 and other passages in the Bible. In that verse, Jesus says of his followers: "They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world." Jehovah's Witnesses have interpreted that statement as a call to remain neutral in all political matters. (In some of the sect's literature, members are described as "representatives of God's heavenly kingdom"; they are thus obligated to stay out of local political affairs in keeping with the behavior of ambassadors.) Witnesses also refrain from serving in the military, running for public office, and pledging allegiance to the flag.

What do you think about Serena and Venus Williams belief system (Jehovah's Witnesses) and not voting?

2. Shadey

Shadey Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    BS like every other religion but that's my opinion.

3. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Greetings Brother MysteryDoors!

I have NOTHING to do with the "jehovah's witness" however, I DO share the "belief system" in my decision to refrain from playing what I see as "white man GAMES".

That part of the scripture I would apply similarly to my life and Knowledge of myself as a DIVINE BEING....I am living a human experience...I am in this "world" yet I am NOT of it.

Then again...I'm prolly still BOTH in and of it as a Divine Being connected to all LIFE (world)...yet....I refuse to continue to play white man GAMES....i.e. POLITRICKS!

M.E.
    :hearts2:

4. Edward Williams

Edward Williams Well-Known Member MEMBER

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think it is a waste of time to talk about it.

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Edward Williams,
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

6. MysteryDoors

Ratings:
    +21
    Thank you Sister for your response!:toast:

7. MysteryDoors

Ratings:
    +21
    I know that Jehovah's Witnesses don’t vote, but I do think other Christian religious groups are involved in politics and voting.

8. Kabal

Kabal Banned

Ratings:
    +2
    "When in Rome, do as the Romans do . . . As a Jehovah Witness do as the Jehovah Witnesses do."

If her she believes that she shouldn't participate in politics because of her religious beliefs, then she has every right to . . .

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    lets see.....

her belief system did not stop her from dressing like a fool on the tennis court.
    her belief system did not stop her from going with a white boy.
    her belief system did not stop her from posing nude.

oh, but now it will stop her from voting?

a mind is a terrible thing to waste.:SuN035:

10. MysteryDoors

Ratings:
    +21
    Greetings Kabal and welcome to Destee!

Do you think there is a double standard concerning Serena Williams Lifestyle?

No man can serve two masters:
    Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. (false god of riches)

Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's

Matthew 22:15 Then went the Pharisees, and took counsel how they might entangle him in his talk. 16 And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men. 17 Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not? 18 But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites? 19 Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny. 20 And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? 21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's. 22 When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way.