Pan Africanism : Seperatist or Integrationist ???

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Akilah, Jan 28, 2006.

?

Is this writer a Seperatist, Integrationist, or "Somewhere in Between" ???

1. Separtist

22.2%
  2. Integrationist

22.2%
  3. Somewhere in Between

44.4%
  4. I dunno

11.1%
  1. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Consider the following speech excerpt....(I will provide the link later)

"To those of the white race who look to the incoming of those of foreign birth and strange tongue and habits for the prosperity of the South, were I permitted I would repeat what I say to my own race, "Cast down your bucket where you are." Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides. Cast down your bucket among these people who have, without strikes and labour wars, tilled your fields, cleared your forests, builded your railroads and cities, and brought forth treasures from the bowels of the earth, and helped make possible this magnificent representation of the progress of the South. Casting down your bucket among my people, helping and encouraging them as you are doing on these grounds, and to education of head, hand, and heart, you will find that they will buy your surplus land, make blossom the waste places in your fields, and run your factories. While doing this, you can be sure in the future, as in the past, that you and your families will be surrounded by the most patient, faithful, law-abiding, and unresentful people that the world has seen. As we have proved our loyalty to you in the past, in nursing your children, watching by the sick-bed of your mothers and fathers, and often following them with tear-dimmed eyes to their graves, so in the future, in our humble way, we shall stand by you with a devotion that no foreigner can approach, ready to lay down our lives, if need be, in defence of yours, interlacing our industrial, commercial, civil, and religious life with yours in a way that shall make the interests of both races one. In all things that are purely social we can be as separate as the fingers, yet one as the hand in all things essential to mutual progress...."

Would you consider these to be the words and ideals of a so called Seperatist or of an Intergrationist and why ?

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    how many angels can dance on the head of a pin..........?

3. brother Malik

brother Malik Well-Known Member MEMBER

Data Analyst (software)
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah, I did have to open it in word and increase to font size to read it. But that's not important.

These are the sentiments of integrationist thinking. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Yes, I am a militant nationalist, but the speaker was just informing white people how things could be between us if they could peacefully accept us as equals, sisters and brothers. The speaker was relating his/her belief that Black people have a gift for infinite love. The speaker was displaying how strong we really are.

Fighting and killing is sometimes easier than embacing a former enemy. Unfortunately white people don't see it that way so their *** gonna make us do it the hard way. By any means necessary.

The reason that I perceive this as integrationist thought is because the speaker describes how life could be if white people would accept us into their society as equals.

4. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Seriously, these are the words of a coward and a fool...especially if they have any knowledge of white people which it seems that they do. This sucker is actually telling white people that we would kiss their @ss if they would only treat us a little better.

5. brother Malik

brother Malik Well-Known Member MEMBER

Data Analyst (software)
    Ratings:
    +5
    Akilah, is that Frederick Douglass????

6. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    That above is Booker T. Washington. He wanted to improve race relations in the South through Negro or black talents and aiming at having nation building relationship with whites for the South.

He wasnt a separatist and certainly he was not an integrationist with running an all black school to uplift our people in the South. He knew blacks needed a platform to develop themselves. He was a man who wanted everyone to be subject to the law of this country equally. That means rich people cannot subvert the system when they do wrong and wanted poor people to be apart of local development efforts and not be sidelined. He was a man for justice for the current conditions at his time for the South. He knew the past is done but the future still subject to change and it better to start on that road.

He had and still have his critics but the school and its staff and graduates have made a comparative contribution to this country at different points in our history since its beginning. That is Tuskegee University.

7. Akilah

Ratings:
    +36
    I dunno...but what does it have to do with the price of tea in China ???

8. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, one thing I do know. This man was able to create an institution that decades and decades after his death continues to educate mainly black youth. I know that the list of successful blacks that have come from this institution are many.

I also know that no one on this board, especially his critics have been able to accomplish such a task. Regardless of agreeing or disagreeing with his stance, everyone should agree with the visible fruit of his labor: Tuskegee University.

9. Akilah

Ratings:
    +36
    Well, he didn't accomplish such a task alone. Lot's of great people such as Dr Carver and the students, who actually built the buildings with the bricks they made themselves, made and continue to MAKE Tuskegee University what it is today.

Further, this thread is not to debate the merits of Booker T. Washington's
    philosophies but to ask whether or not after reviewing his writings one
    feels he was a Separatist, Integrationist, or somewhere in between.
    I, for one, admire the man and basically feel that he advocated what he felt was best for rural blacks, in particular, at the time...for better or worst. He lived through slavery and was an eyewitness to the horrors of post slavery reconstruction, lynchings etc... I think what he really was teaching was SURVIVAL.

Here's the link to the entire speech :

African American Historical Documents

Atlanta Compromise 1895

http://www.africanamericans.com/AtlantaCompromise1895.htm

10. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, okay... in the context of the discussion, my opinion is that he was somewhere in between, not fully Separtist or Integretionist. And I think that's perfectly fine, especially since he was able to follow through on his visions.