Black People : Senator Lott's Comment

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Nightlance, Dec 16, 2002.

?

Should Senator Lott resign?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. No, he should be censured by the Senate.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nightlance

Nightlance Member MEMBER

Research Analyst
    Ratings:
    +0
    :angel1:Senator Lott’s Freudian slip tragically reveals that there are still audiences in the United States that regularly dine upon this verity of racist rhetoric. Because most of these groups often long for the days of yesteryear, a time when they had complete control and had no need to concern themselves with the opinions of minority members, they often become nostalgic at group functions and openly reminisce about the way things could have been had history favored their cause. For many, a segregated United States was a stronger country and insured that a majority of the country’s resources would be reserved for the ruling class. In order that the white ruling class maintain its control, segregation was viewed as a necessary practice. :flame:

As a matter of fact, there are many white southerns who have often publicly pondered what the United States would be like had the South won the Civil War. As I see it, these nostalgic revisionists often play upon the unrealized dreams of these race groups in the hopes of establishing some sense of common identity or sentiment. :devil:

In any event, Senator Lott’s remarks were made either consciously or unconsciously, but either case leads to a terrifying conclusion. We have a leader of the United States Senate who is either an unabashed bigot, or a leader of the United States Senate that is unaware that he is one. :bomb:

2. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    The fact that Lott is a major player in politics makes it all the more reason for concern. I agree with you.

It reminds me of what my Dad often told me about racists while growing up in Alabama. "Don't worry about the Klansmen in their robes, you know where their hearts are, worry about the person in the suit at the desk next to you." The wolf in sheep's clothing. And, I have met many, male and female. But like Lott, they are unaware they are racist. You know the line, "I have many Black friends".

Some southerners think all white men were plantation owners and all women were "Scarlet O'Hara" before the Civil War. That's not the reality. The plantation owners of yesteryear are like the CEOs of today. Most people were poor. However, they liked the fact they could exercise control over blacks.

Our only hope for continued survival against people like this is unity among our people. We must strive to keep our families healthy and our lives prosperous.

3. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    What!!?? Details, details...

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    NightLance ... Welcome ~ Welcome ~ Welcome ~ :)

Thanks for joining us and please make yourself at home.

I think many white folk, including Senator Lott, would love to have things "the way they were." I'm sure it was a "simpler" time for them. No worry or concern of freudian slips, no high cost of maintaining superiority because everything was out in the open. They now must come up with more elaborate, costly, hidden ways to maintain the status quo, without ever appearing as though that's what is happening. This is no small task but they are good at it. He was just longing for the good ol' days ...

It has been suggested that the media (white owned ... pushing issues that they choose) is giving this story so much air time so they can divert our attention from other issues. I'll write the author of the article suggesting this, asking permission if I can post it here.

Should he resign? I don't think it makes much difference who holds the position. Perhaps having him there would give us more insight into what's really going on (since he's prone to Freudian slips). Notice how many of his white counterparts are pushing for his resignation now? He's made a mistake and shown their hand ... they can't have that so they're gonna make sure he goes ... this issue is bigger than just one man. Making him pay will serve 2 purposes ... appease black folk (just feel good stuff, which is all we seem to need and haven't had much of lately) and put all others on alert ... that such mistakes won't be tolerated.

Again, thanks for joining us NightLance and please make yourself at home.

:heart:

Destee

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    I did request and receive permission to post Mr. Stanton's article mentioned above.
    POSITIVELY BLACK
    Junious Ricardo Stanton

Media Diversions

How is it the same corporate owned media that has such a dismal record of recruiting, hiring and retaining people of color in their, newsrooms, studios and editorial boards is having a field day with Trent Lott? Not only is it hypocritical it is deceitful because usually when they go whole hog over stories that contain sex, political scandal or race these stories serve as diversions for some other issue or issues the ruling elites don't want the masses to know about or question. Sure Bush doesn't need the type of statements Lott made at Strom Thurman's birthday party while he is aggressively drumming up his war where a disproportionate number of people of color will be on the front lines fighting for his imperialist global agenda for god (gold oil and drugs). It creates a problem because black and brown people will be loath to risk their lives for white men who wistfully yearn for the days of AmeriKKKan segregation/apartheid. But all the brouhaha about Lott's statement and speculation about him being a racist (how could he not be given white supremacy is the cultural bedrock of AmeriKKKa and considering his personal background) took the focus off of Henry Kissinger's resignation as head of the upcoming 9-11 Investigation Commission and the recently released Congressional Joint Inquiry Into 9-11. This is a common tactic used by the mass media when they want to keep something from Bubba and Louise or they want to minimize public awareness and debate about a particular issue. Kissinger's resignation, the how and why he resigned are crucial for our understanding of how the game is really played, also for understanding the implications surrounding 9-11 and the Congressional investigation while the question of Trent Lott being a racist is old hat. We need to understand how the news media works. Editors, that is assignment editors, lay out editors and news program editors decide which story will lead or which stories will be given prominence on any given day or newscast.

The Digital Underground - Sundays - 12 noon - 2 PM ET

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Since the Civil War, American politics have largely centered around race. Looking at the origins of this country (with an economy and social structure built on race & racism) that is not surprising. I don't want to blindly label political parties (because that can lead to the Republican party as the party of Lincoln debate). Historically political parties change their agenda as witnessed by the Republican party's move towards the right, after they passed the 13th amendment. As well the Democratic party's move towards the left, during the 1930s through the Civil Rights Movement. What African Americans are really concerned about is the political/conservative right (which is currently making its home in the Republican party).

The bottom line is that the political right has always (at least since the end of slavery) used prejudiced fear of black domination to win white voters. America might be the only country in the world where people vote outside of their economic interest because of social concerns (ie....race) that do not have a major impact on their everyday lives.

People usually label the Republican party as a white party, a conservative party,........or a prejudice party. Obviously depending on which side of the fence you sit on this description alone can determine your vote. However, in truth if you examine the political agenda of the Republican/Right Wing party, you will see that they are a Rich or Classist party. The economic policies of the Republican Party (trickle down economics, high end tax cuts, etc.) are written for the wealthy.......$150,000 and up! Whereas the political policies of the Democratic Party (various federal assistance, school lunches, etc) are written mostly for the middle and lower middle class (where the majority of Americans fall under.

What does this have to do with Trent Lott?........everything. Trent said the wrong thing at the wrong time (when the country is trying to unite during a war........actually two.......technically three). But what he said is a perfect example of the right wing playing off of the fear of black domination (through Affirmative Action, Minority Scholarships, Quotas, Welfare, etc). Trent knows that there is some billy bob redneck factor worker who will vote Republican because he is against affirmative action. Even though that same redneck factor worker will probably be laid off during economic recession that follows Republican Administrations like vultures to dead meat.

All that being said. Although Trent Lott is a small part of a large problem, and while his losing his post does nothing (his is still a Senator in Mississippi, and will get re-elected in that back water state). I enjoyed seeing him embarrased. His appearance on BET with Ed Gordon was particularly amusing. I enjoyed that in the same way that I enjoy seeing white bigots who vote Republican in an effort to limit black success get laid off themselves. What can I say, misery loves company...........lol!

Peace-Panafrica

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    What I find hard to believe is that a Black woman actually had sex with that ole fool!! He had to have raped her. If I was his daughter...and get the terminology used "sired" by him...I'd deny his wrinkled behind too. And what "so much good" did he do? Simply pay for her education and probably out of fear of the truth coming out if he didn't? Uh, uh, uh...clearly that man's genes has Washington's mind confused!! Look at all the harm this man has done. He's the devil incarnate in my opinion. Thanks for some FACTS, Keme...