Black People : 'Selma' Ignores the Radical Grassroots Politics of the Civil Rights Movement

Must remember also that the King family had nearly all of his speeches copyright and gave the rights to another director for another movie.

They downplayed many aspects of the civil rights movement... choosing King Jr. to highlight his passive protest with a sidebar statement on their idea of violent protest of those which protected themselves with weaponry as shown in Negroes with Guns... or using Malcolm X as a message of how it could've went with his meeting with Coretta King

First of all, thank you for actually presenting a better critique of the film, so I and others can also get a better idea of what some defending or dissing, who have seen it...

As for me: Yet another celeb backed flick I'm not feeling or thinking is worth my limited resources...

Above and beyond that:

My concern and worry about the outright doubletalk about present issues/problems/etc., me and mine/you and yours/etc. are striving to do something about, present day tense...

I. e., from NYC to L. A., everybody else really do have to WAKE UP!

It is not just one rehash of past history we're being plagued by: The ongoing ones we're in denial about too...

Ever heard of GHETTOWISE?

Probably will be on the 'must read' list of the ARYAN NATIONS ad naseum...

Check out today's ON POINT hypefest...

SMH...

FYI

I saw the movie a few days ago. It was okay seeing an up to date movie on the life of Dr. King, but it wasn't quite all that. When I walked out the theater, I still had this gut feeling that there was some kind of hidden agenda under the guise of sharing black history that took place during that time. I heard the film was suppose to be about the last 3 years of Dr. Kings life, but instead it seemed to focus more on what happened 3 years before his life ended. I hoped it would focus a little more on the riots after his assassination, since Ferguson and NYC sparked a new movement, which did result in rioting. However the film did just what I expected, which was to help take the focus off or water down any new strategies that we may come up with as a result of todays uprisings.

One big thing we all should have noticed was how this film clearly showed Dr. King to be an adulterer, and how it disturbed his marriage. With the bringing down of Cosby and so many other black male public figures lately, this seems suspect. This movies shows he practically confessed when asked. So they went from Cosby, which was bad enough, up to Dr. King, and nobody even noticed it. Why does the movie give King a guilty verdict, when we know Cointelpro was in operation? There were a few other things that quite didn't add up, but I'm not going to go into it.

When I saw the movie trailer of the church bombing, I was expecting to see some played out scenes of other things that happened in the 60's, since they put so much work into that tragic scene. However, that scene came at the beginning of the movie, and most of the other major events where just spoken of in the movie, but not played out, with the exception of the murder of Jimmy Lee Jackson. So I guess to cover everything, you will need part two and three, like the King movie starring Paul Winfield. But I still think they could have shown more of other events in this 2 hour movie. In order to cover more, I think the movie should have been a 3 hour movie, or at least 2 hours and 45 minutes. Nonetheless, I still feel they got across only what they wanted to get across, trying to leave us back somewhere in the 60's, as far as coming up with a strategy is concerned. And they used Selma, and they only wanted us to focus on peaceful marching, and be proud of getting busted up.

I also noticed in this movie how they tried to show how white people sacrificed, and they definitely played out those scenes, but I won't say no more. I'll let you see the movie, which most probably did by now if they really wanted to see it bad. Not to take away from those white people who lost their lives, but it appears they want us to focus on those few, and not see 50 years later how so many of them are trying to make Darren Wilson and George Zimmerman millions after they're racist system let them walk for chasing down and murdering our young brothers. Not to mention the others.

I do appreciate the props, but I also do need you to reply to what else I've posted...

I. e., the segment I mentioned, was/is/etc. the reaction to the 'black lives matter' protests, and/or the haters daring to claim they are our would be saviors ad naseum....

Them ole white masters fronting in their plantation pulpits come to mind....

Up there with crap like the Birth Of A Nation (film), Ghettowise (book) comes acrosss as the same ole b. s., merely being updated to mislead a white mainstream audience, that we aren't seeking justice-- only revenge...

Some whites just can't or won't face up to the own folks shortcomings, rather than project them on our own....

SMH

I saw the movie a few days ago. It was okay seeing an up to date movie on the life of Dr. King, but it wasn't quite all that. When I walked out the theater, I still had this gut feeling that there was some kind of hidden agenda under the guise of sharing black history that took place during that time. I heard the film was suppose to be about the last 3 years of Dr. Kings life, but instead it seemed to focus more on what happened 3 years before his life ended. I hoped it would focus a little more on the riots after his assassination, since Ferguson and NYC sparked a new movement, which did result in rioting. However the film did just what I expected, which was to help take the focus off or water down any new strategies that we may come up with as a result of todays uprisings.

One big thing we all should have noticed was how this film clearly showed Dr. King to be an adulterer, and how it disturbed his marriage. With the bringing down of Cosby and so many other black male public figures lately, this seems suspect. This movies shows he practically confessed when asked. So they went from Cosby, which was bad enough, up to Dr. King, and nobody even noticed it. Why does the movie give King a guilty verdict, when we know Cointelpro was in operation? There were a few other things that quite didn't add up, but I'm not going to go into it.

When I saw the movie trailer of the church bombing, I was expecting to see some played out scenes of other things that happened in the 60's, since they put so much work into that tragic scene. However, that scene came at the beginning of the movie, and most of the other major events where just spoken of in the movie, but not played out, with the exception of the murder of Jimmy Lee Jackson. So I guess to cover everything, you will need part two and three, like the King movie starring Paul Winfield. But I still think they could have shown more of other events in this 2 hour movie. In order to cover more, I think the movie should have been a 3 hour movie, or at least 2 hours and 45 minutes. Nonetheless, I still feel they got across only what they wanted to get across, trying to leave us back somewhere in the 60's, as far as coming up with a strategy is concerned. And they used Selma, and they only wanted us to focus on peaceful marching, and be proud of getting busted up.

I also noticed in this movie how they tried to show how white people sacrificed, and they definitely played out those scenes, but I won't say no more. I'll let you see the movie, which most probably did by now if they really wanted to see it bad. Not to take away from those white people who lost their lives, but it appears they want us to focus on those few, and not see 50 years later how so many of them are trying to make Darren Wilson and George Zimmerman millions after they're racist system let them walk for chasing down and murdering our young brothers. Not to mention the others.

I do appreciate the props, but I also do need you to reply to what else I've posted...

I. e., the segment I mentioned, was/is/etc. the reaction to the 'black lives matter' protests, and/or the haters daring to claim they are our would be saviors ad naseum....

Up there with crap like the Birth Of A Nation (film), Ghettowise (book) comes acrosss as the same ole b. s., merely being updated to mislead a white mainstream audience, that we aren't seeking justice-- only revenge...

Some whites just can't or won't face up to the own folks shortcomings, rather than project them on our own....

SMH

SMH
After reading most of what's been said here, including your posts, there isn't very much left to analyze or comment on, or add too, when it comes to explaining how this movement was hijacked. Most here see how it was done in their own way, and every bodies point makes sense, and you went even further. I always said that beast was unpredictable, and he's good at using our own against us. Besides that, you'd be surprised how many black folks think this movie was for our betterment. I heard black people saying after this movie how surprised they were to learn the sacrifices whites made for us, etc... I mean, what can you say to people who choose not to see the bigger picture, and not recognize that white hate is still alive and well. I try not to, but I get a little tired sometimes. Look how this movement was hi-jacked? How can we as a people still be this sleep and let this happen?

Now they took off the Carl Nelson Show from WOL, and replaced him with a young girl hosting a show called "Sister Speak"...that might be her nickname. I don't know if you were familiar with the Carl Nelson Show, but he was about the only real good black talk show host left. He had guest on like Dick Gregory, France Cress Welsing, Claude Anderson, Umar Johnson, Nelly Fuller, and many more. However, they're still playing an hour of his repeats from his old 3 hour show, until they phase him out all the way I guest. But then again, I heard they cut his hours and put him on 6:00am. Anyway the "Sister Speak" show is hit or miss, and they tend to talk about the symptons...back to the same ole same ole. Then she tends to have this mindset that there's no attempt by white people to exterminate black people. She's playing a word game on the true definition of exterminate, ignoring the fact that black people are leading all bad categories, including death of course. I don't know if she's playing games or what, but you don't replace Carl Nelson with this.

I didn't mean to get off all into the Carl Nelson Show, but I did want to get that out there for anybody else reading this thread. Nonetheless, I know the white man is still behind most of this mess, but perhaps I should add on that this role some of us play in helping assist him in destroy ourselves needs to be addressed at some point too, hopefully in a civil manner.

After reading most of what's been said here, including your posts, there isn't very much left to analyze or comment on, or add too, when it comes to explaining how this movement was hijacked.

Your comments are just as valid as his...Mine too..His need not be the final comments on that movement's legacy etc.

I e., some heeded the calls of the grassroots, and such has reflected whose deeds and words we also reflect...

Most here see how it was done in their own way, and every bodies point makes sense, and you went even further. I always said that beast was unpredictable, and he's good at using our own against us.

Besides that, you'd be surprised how many black folks think this movie was for our betterment.

As long as some weren't second guessing our leaders and/or advancing their own agendas, fine and well...

So, there were and are those whites who did earn our props, others who were hyped by the way of white media mythology etc.

Though even these days, not many of the buppies or the bangers dare to deny the obvious, 'first' black whatever, etc.

I heard black people saying after this movie how surprised they were to learn the sacrifices whites made for us, etc... I mean, what can you say to people who choose not to see the bigger picture, and not recognize that white hate is still alive and well. I try not to, but I get a little tired sometimes. Look how this movement was hi-jacked? How can we as a people still be this sleep and let this happen?

Saner and smarter to apply the same lessons to the ongoing ' black lives matter' ongoing one

Now they took off the Carl Nelson Show from WOL, and replaced him with a young girl hosting a show called "Sister Speak"...that might be her nickname. I don't know if you were familiar with the Carl Nelson Show, but he was about the only real good black talk show host left. He had guest on like Dick Gregory, France Cress Welsing, Claude Anderson, Umar Johnson, Nelly Fuller, and many more. However, they're still playing an hour of his repeats from his old 3 hour show, until they phase him out all the way I guest. But then again, I heard they cut his hours and put him on 6:00am. Anyway the "Sister Speak" show is hit or miss, and they tend to talk about the symptons...back to the same ole same ole. Then she tends to have this mindset that there's no attempt by white people to exterminate black people. She's playing a word game on the true definition of exterminate, ignoring the fact that black people are leading all bad categories, including death of course. I don't know if she's playing games or what, but you don't replace Carl Nelson with this.

I didn't mean to get off all into the Carl Nelson Show, but I did want to get that out there for anybody else reading this thread. Nonetheless, I know the white man is still behind most of this mess, but perhaps I should add on that this role some of us play in helping assist him in destroy ourselves needs to be addressed at some point too, hopefully in a civil manner.

Yes....All forms of media we can control are called for.

.But even Public Radio is no longer the unbiased resource most (not all ) do depend on for the truth...

My and the point: We have to be careful and wary, whatever our sources of information tend to be, in times like this....
l
I. e., however self indulgent his comments are, the brother did allude to the rise of white radicalism, during the early labor movements, etc.

And by the way of their descendants, factuing in what they also went thru , from 'Nam to that Desert Shame, ad naseum, there are also a lot more of them, too...

FYI

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

It's a lot going on and I know I have not been here for a long time but it is about to change.
Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Back