Black People : Selma: Black History According to Oprah

RAPTOR

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 12, 2009
A Black Agenda Radio commentary by executive editor Glen Ford
Most Black folks are just grateful that there is finally a big box office movie about Dr.
Martin Luther King Jr. But, of course, Selma is historical fiction, carefully crafted to make
some people and ideas look good and wise, and others to appear petty, narrow or stupid.
Who decides? The money-people, the producers, like Oprah Winfrey.

“Oprah insults Black SNCC civil rights heroes, but she protects the white, rich Kennedys.”

Like all historical dramatic films, Selma is a political work, reflecting the political views of
the producers. Oprah Winfrey is one of those producers, in addition to playing one of the
characters in this version of the Selma story. Her handwriting – that is, her conservative
Black political worldview – is all over the film, which demands and deserves a political
response.

For the purposes of this brief radio commentary, I’m only going to register three complaints.

Number One: the film is a crude insult to SNCC, the Student Non-Violent
Coordinating Committee
workers who, along with a small minority of Black
preachers like Dr. Martin Luther King, comprised the infrastructure of the civil
rights movement in the Deep South.

Read more/listen: http://www.blackagendareport.com/node/14624

Most Black folks are just grateful that there is finally a big box office movie about Dr.
Martin Luther King Jr. But, of course, Selma is historical fiction, carefully crafted to make
some people and ideas look good and wise, and others to appear petty, narrow or stupid.

“Oprah insults Black SNCC civil rights heroes, but she protects the white, rich Kennedys.”

Like all historical dramatic films, Selma is a political work, reflecting the political views of
the producers. Oprah Winfrey is one of those producers, in addition to playing one of the
characters in this version of the Selma story. Her handwriting – that is, her conservative
Black political worldview – is all over the film, which demands and deserves a political
response.

For the purposes of this brief radio commentary, I’m only going to register three complaints.

Coordinating Committee
preachers like Dr. Martin Luther King, comprised the infrastructure of the civil

After all else has been claimed or implied, also after two decades hyping herself as a diva on the TV screen, what is truly being revealed is the 'O' lady is out of her league, as a would be movie producer etc., and/or us again wasting our energy etc., arguing and bickering over what is probably yet another third rate rehashing of past events, rather than us taking the time etc. to read books on the subject, by some of those who were actually part of the Civil Rights Movement and whodo have their right to speak up and out about their movements merits, etc.

FYI

response.

Coordinating Committee

Above and beyond the low points, (as in his self promoting hype ad naseum), at least the good points have to do with actually revealing our own peoples class/social/political divisions, which some rose above/beyond/etc., others continued to reflect, as I contrast MLK being embraced by the young so called black militants of my era, whereas those black south African rebels might have clashed with even Mandela and/or the ANC...

To me: I can guess Steve Biko was to them what Malcolm X came to be to us too...

(Smile)...

Amandla...

FYI

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back